Bright PRAT : M50 recabled or T50p, D1001, DT660 / D7000, W5000?
Aug 1, 2010 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

vonjuergen

Head-Fier

[size=medium]Looking for a M50 sound with its linear prat and great body – just a little brighter in general + strong good highs (beyerdynamic 770), and more transient attack, a tad less wooly bass on my htc desire. I am after a portable headphone + large headphone with the described soundsignature. What firewire / usb dac/amp would you recommend for the home setup (the bright fast DAC1 usb) ?. [/size]

[size=medium]Thank you, [/size]

[size=medium]Vonjuergen[/size]

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 4
[size=medium]The soundsignature I am looking for in detail :[/size]
[size=medium]Some Impressions of various cans on my htc desire – or amped, heard with my set of ears[/size]
[size=medium]Liked:[/size]
[size=medium]ATH M50s – comfortable, very nice mixture of PRAT, body/Fullness & Punch – needs more Highs &  Speed & still more PRAT (cant have enough PRAT) & should come to life earlier, less wooly bass (even amped) – will recabling help with a source like a htc desire / iphone ?[/size]
[size=medium]AKG K171 (owned) – uncomfortable(clampforce), nice highs, nice definition & speed, tiring overloaded sound, needs more accurate prat, should be easier on the ears – preferred M50 due to better prat & body&imaging[/size]
[size=medium]SR225 (owned) – nice presence, very good highs, good staging, lacks basspunch&definition, lacks body – preferred M50 due to better prat, bass,  body/fullness[/size]
[size=medium]Amped Beyerdynamic 770 PRO 80ohm – good prat, nice defined highs, too bassy, lacks midrange [/size]
[size=medium]Sennheiser HD201, nice fast tightness,  lacks basspunch & definition[/size]
[size=medium]DT770 Pro – nice Prat, nice staging, good strong highs, recessed mids, lacking body & imaging.[/size]
[size=medium]BOSE Triport – very comfortable&light, very nice imaging,  nice image density lacking a litte body, good staging, but boomy tiring bass[/size]

[size=medium]Didnt like[/size]
[size=medium]PROline 750(amped) – artificial bass&highs, muddy, uncomfortable[/size]
[size=medium]PROline 550(amped) – little better than 750, more open, nice separation, still artificial strange, bass&highs, unbalanced, uncomfortable[/size]
[size=medium]K272(amped), lacked body, punch definition – preferred K171 akg line, m50 is still the winner[/size]
[size=medium]All Sennheiser (except HD201, HD238), especially disliked 650, which sounded thin & cold , tight without any body to me.[/size]
[size=medium]shure 840 – , kind of dull to my deaf ears[/size]

thankyou

J

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 4
Have you done the 6 hole balance tape mod?  Put some 840 pads on and a touch of dynamat on the enclosure.  Should help tighten and clean things up a bit and open up the sound a bit but wont give you the treble you are looking for.  Not sure recabling will improve the highs w/o affecting other areas.  I think your source might be a limitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back