Brief Odac impressions
Jul 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,951 of 2,018
Maybe I missed it but what headphones are you using?

Plan is Modi/ E-DAC > Crack> HD600.  Brother to your HD650. :D Any other different for ODAC XL from ordinary ODAC?

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,952 of 2,018
The HD 600 will pair nicely with the Crack.

The ODAC XL has all ports on the rear. That's the USB input as well as RCA and 3.5mm outputs.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,953 of 2,018
Still loving my ODAC. It has been getting used to feed a speaker amp lately instead of headphones, but it still continues to impress me. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,954 of 2,018
  Still loving my ODAC. It has been getting used to feed a speaker amp lately instead of headphones, but it still continues to impress me. 

Yup, plan to use E-DAC for hifi setup too:
E-DAC> Sansui AU-555A> B&W 685

As for head-fi:
Modi> BH Crack> Senn HD600.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #1,955 of 2,018
Can anyone help me out. My odac seems to have a weird problem. Sometimes when I start listening I will hear static and rustling over the notes. However when I unplug and replug my odac, it goes away and becomes clear again. Not really sure what could be causing it. I am just using the stock usb cable straight into my computer. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #1,956 of 2,018
Can anyone help me out. My odac seems to have a weird problem. Sometimes when I start listening I will hear static and rustling over the notes. However when I unplug and replug my odac, it goes away and becomes clear again. Not really sure what could be causing it. I am just using the stock usb cable straight into my computer. 

Do you have many stuff plugged to your pc? Is it a laptop? Sounds to me like too many devices are draining power and Odac doesn't get enough of it.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,957 of 2,018
And make sure try plug in directly to your machine directly instead of USB port extensions.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,958 of 2,018
Do you have many stuff plugged to your pc? Is it a laptop? Sounds to me like too many devices are draining power and Odac doesn't get enough of it.

Nope it is a desktop, and I have just a keyboard, mouse, and the ODAC plugged into it.

And make sure try plug in directly to your machine directly instead of USB port extensions.

It is plugged into a USB 3.0 port on the motherboard of my desktop. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,959 of 2,018
  Nope it is a desktop, and I have just a keyboard, mouse, and the ODAC plugged into it.

It is plugged into a USB 3.0 port on the motherboard of my desktop. 

Ah, somehow in my experience USB 3.0 always troublesome due to driver etc, especially after Windows update. BTW, have you reinstall driver etc? I think if you already troubleshoot from software and cable side but the problem still persist, maybe it's the DAC itself.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #1,960 of 2,018
There were certainly people having problems with USB 3 on Windows machine a while back. It works fine on my USB 3 equipped Mac mini.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #1,961 of 2,018
Has anyone tried the ODAC with an iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2 and Lightning-to-USB connector? Other DACs with higher power draw seem to work without a USB hub but not sure if the ODAC does.

Also, I'm looking for something identical to the ODAC in performance (ie audibly transparent) but with optical input. Any recommendations? I'm pretty set on the O2 amp but if there is an amp / DAC combo that offers equivalent performance I'd be willing to go for that. Otherwise I was thinking the O2 + ODAC + some other DAC with optical support or the O2 plus a DAC with both optical and USB inputs. Just hard to find anything that has as much objective info about it as the O2 / ODAC combo.

EDIT: Also, it's for use with IEMs so I need a very low noise floor like the O2 has.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,962 of 2,018
Has anyone tried the ODAC with an iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2 and Lightning-to-USB connector? Other DACs with higher power draw seem to work without a USB hub but not sure if the ODAC does.

Those devices require a hub. The hub doesn't have to be powered, though. I'm using a normally powered 4-port hub, but not plugging it in.
Read and try this: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,963 of 2,018
Anybody tried DoodleBug usb isolator yet?  If so, please let us know if there are any differences.

beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,964 of 2,018
  Anybody tried DoodleBug usb isolator yet?  If so, please let us know if there are any differences.

beerchug.gif

Well, not DoodleBug but I have a few USB isolator, and they are based mostly the same design as DoodleBug. Can't say I hear any real difference with or without them with ODAC. However, I do want to add that my PC has a pretty clean USB to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back