Brief Odac impressions
Jan 17, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,966 of 2,018
Question,

Should I be using a USB cable with a ferrite core to connect my ODAC?  And if so, are the USB cables with ferrite cores from Monoprice fine?  I need a 10ft cable, and I connect my ODAC to my Behringer A500 speaker amplifier.

Thanks,

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #1,967 of 2,018
I've used mine both with and without the ferrite core USB cables, usually 1 meter cable.  A couple of years ago when I got my ODAC, JDS was shipping them with a Monoprice Ferrite core cable, those always worked fine for me.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #1,968 of 2,018
My new odac stops working with 96khz files, the songs last a few seconds and the sounds quickly fades away.
Wasapi set in event mode in Foobar, windows set with 24/96 and enhancements disabled.

P.S. Same thing happens in push mode. Also when I change Usb port (tried unplugging everything but the odac and mouse, problem persists).
My board is an Asus Z87 Pro 

Well never mind, I've decided to return the unit when I realized I can buy the Modi2 in the uk.

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,971 of 2,018
Posted my message in the Help section (http://www.head-fi.org/t/754648/odac-troubleshooting), but got pointed to here. For the full bit of info, please read the aforementioned link.

In short, I'm noticing quite a bit of noise (hissy/fuzzy - not quite the static from an untuned radio, but close) from the ODAC + C5 amp after plugging in the ODAC. I've tracked it down to the ODAC. Also tried with two different USB cables. Also, the noise is heard on my desktop (completely different internals), and even checked the ODAC PCB board. No smell of escaped magic smoke from the board either. It still plays audio - but the noise!

I don't ever remember this on the ODAC before (but again, my memory is shot - so may never have noticed), so my question is:

1) Have people heard this before? On searching, I've see some references here and there but no real conclusions. I thought the ODAC had some internals to isolate itself from the computer. Would a USB isolator/power supply combo I'm seeing help alleviate this?

2) I'm trying to find a powered USB hub - have people found this to work well with isolating the ODAC to prevent noise?

3) Is my ODAC giving up the ghost? Is it time to look for new options? Not that it still plays sound - just with a #@$# hiss that has a faint click when things are silent - enough to drive me batty a bit.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #1,974 of 2,018
ODAC does not have SPDIF Input so you can't use a usb to spdif convertir to feed the ODAC , furthemore USB Isolators don't have any sound coloration unless they are faulty .

At least the one that i tried didn't alter the sound at all ,the isolation worked as some times i could here some static noise when powering on / off my speacker receiver (not often ) . Also measurement where  better , without on rightmark =>

(used an Asus essence STX for the rmaa loop) .

Summary

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB +0.03, -0.08
Excellent
Noise level, dB (A) -108.0
Excellent
Dynamic range, dB (A) 108.3
Excellent
THD, % 0.0022
Excellent
THD + Noise, dB (A) -89.9
Good
IMD + Noise, % 0.0023
Excellent
Stereo crosstalk, dB -95.9
Excellent
IMD at 10 kHz, % 0.0024
Excellent
General performance  
Excellent

As you see it's not as good as : http://rmaa.hege.li/ODAC.htm  or ODAC numbers provided by ODAC creator .

With isolator => numbers were very close to the rightmark report listed on the link or ODAC official numbers . But a pity didn't kept the rmaa both from odac with isolator or the xonar STX that i used for this report .

Also i don't use usb isolator anymore as i broke when moved to a new place . So  USB power can have an influence hon how ODAC perform (number wise)  but as i didn't hear any different with or without isolator , it don't matter very much , unless you have static noise or other major glitches .

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #1,975 of 2,018
  Guys I just remembered my PC has a SPDIF out.Can I connect my ODAC to it via a usb to spdif converter ?
@numbercube Can you give a short review of the isolator ? Does it add any colour to the sound ? And how long have you been using it ?

Sound is identical. I own the olimex for 4 months. Measurements (jitter and distortion) are identical too.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,976 of 2,018
bump the thread
anyone know about this ? cDAC designed by the same company as ODAC http://www.yoyodyneconsulting.ca/pages/cDAC+.html

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,977 of 2,018
  bump the thread
anyone know about this ? cDAC designed by the same company as ODAC http://www.yoyodyneconsulting.ca/pages/cDAC+.html

Seem like ODAC with USB isolation. Unless your USB power is particularly dirty, I don't think you will notice much difference. But if you need to use the USB DAC for measurement, USB isolation can be useful.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,979 of 2,018
Thi
Since I sold my ODAC+O2 already, I'd like to provide some review: This is one of the most soulless sounding DAC/headphone amp ever... I'm surprised people are paying $200+ for it.

This hobby is a journey. The Odac and O2 is an excellent starting point. Better than fiio, in my opinion. Differences are subtle. Yes, you can still hear music out of a sound card or dap headphone jack, but the subtle differences and upgrades add up to a sum that equals what amounts to a "soulful" or preferred set up for each individual. The Odac O2 is very useful, in my opinion, but it is generally agreed that there is room to improve if this is your only setup.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,980 of 2,018
Thi
This hobby is a journey. The Odac and O2 is an excellent starting point. Better than fiio, in my opinion. Differences are subtle. Yes, you can still hear music out of a sound card or dap headphone jack, but the subtle differences and upgrades add up to a sum that equals what amounts to a "soulful" or preferred set up for each individual. The Odac O2 is very useful, in my opinion, but it is generally agreed that there is room to improve if this is your only setup.

Okay looking back it may be partly due to the combo with a 600ohm headphone. The eye opener was when a "tour guide phone" (some android + headphone) sounded infinitely better...

I'm on speaker setup now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back