Brief Odac impressions
May 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,996 of 2,018
  Then make sure you didn't select any odd setting (USB tweak and such). Last but not least, make sure you didn't turn the digital volume all the way down.

Nope, I even reinstalled the app. Here's the message I'm getting:

Android did not find any devices, but Linux did! 
This means that your cable is OK and your device probably supports USB host mode, so you should try rebooting and replugging your device.

Please make sure to connect your USB audio device before starting the app. If it fails to detect your device, chances are that your Android device and/or audio device are incompatible.

Is it entirely possible that my phone doesn't even like USB OTG? I tried the OTG adapter with a memory stick, and it worked fine, or should I get a Mini-B to Micro-B?

May 7, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,997 of 2,018
  Nope, I even reinstalled the app. Here's the message I'm getting:

Android did not find any devices, but Linux did! 
This means that your cable is OK and your device probably supports USB host mode, so you should try rebooting and replugging your device.

Please make sure to connect your USB audio device before starting the app. If it fails to detect your device, chances are that your Android device and/or audio device are incompatible.

Is it entirely possible that my phone doesn't even like USB OTG? I tried the OTG adapter with a memory stick, and it worked fine, or should I get a Mini-B to Micro-B?

Note that OTG for flash memory and OTG for USB DAC are two different things. Having one doesn't equal to having the other. However, UAPP shouldn't really care whether your smartphone has USB DAC OTG support or not since it runs on its own driver. I can get my old Xperia TX to connect to ODAC, so I can't see why your Z1 Compact can't. Perhaps try another cable?

May 7, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,998 of 2,018

Note that OTG for flash memory and OTG for USB DAC are two different things. Having one doesn't equal to having the other. However, UAPP shouldn't really care whether your smartphone has USB DAC OTG support or not since it runs on its own driver. I can get my old Xperia TX to connect to ODAC, so I can't see why your Z1 Compact can't. Perhaps try another cable?

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I'm gonna try reflashing everything, and if that doesn't work, going to try KitKat again. Thanks nonetheless.

May 8, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #1,999 of 2,018
Update - works on KitKat when I reflashed an old version. Going to try another distribution of Lollipop to see if it works.

May 27, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,000 of 2,018
I've been looking at the O2+Odac Combos by JDS Labs and Mayflower Electronics. The latter boasts an upgrade called Rev. B with supposedly better measurements and is cheaper. Is there any reason not to get the Mayflower Electronics one over JDS Labs?

Surely if the Mayflower one was better at a lower price then there would be a lot more people getting it instead.

Thanks in advance for any information on them.

May 27, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #2,001 of 2,018
  I've been looking at the O2+Odac Combos by JDS Labs and Mayflower Electronics. The latter boasts an upgrade called Rev. B with supposedly better measurements and is cheaper. Is there any reason not to get the Mayflower Electronics one over JDS Labs?

Surely if the Mayflower one was better at a lower price then there would be a lot more people getting it instead.

Thanks in advance for any information on them.

If you read JDB Labs's ODAC page carefully, you will notice JDS already updated its ODAC to rev.B on May 11th.

In fact, if you read this, JDS Labs is the one who helps to design ODAC rev.B.

May 27, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2,002 of 2,018
They're basically the same units, so it'll basically come down to what you prefer for aesthetics... I like mayflower's aluminium knob better than the JDS' default, but JDS has that custom engraving option which is cool. Mayflower and JDS also differ in colour of LED light they use, JDS uses red while Mayflower I believe uses amber or green, forgot which exactly but some non red colour.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2,004 of 2,018
Actually, I realized that there is a new revision about an hour ago and was just about to raise the same question here. 
biggrin.gif

So I am also interested in  comparison of the revision. Is it worth to upgrade?

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #2,005 of 2,018
Is there any comparison between original ODAC and ODAV RevB?

They sound identical but the RevB accepts I phone as a source via camera connection kit.i am currently using iPhone 6 > apple music> Odac/o2> HD800. Makes it a very compact system with perfect sound quality . The only improvement on this for me would be to remove all the wires but that's for the future !

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,006 of 2,018
They sound identical but the RevB accepts I phone as a source via camera connection kit.i am currently using iPhone 6 > apple music> Odac/o2> HD800. Makes it a very compact system with perfect sound quality . The only improvement on this for me would be to remove all the wires but that's for the future !

Thanks. So it seems there's no big changes in terms of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back