Breaking News: HE1000 V2
Nov 23, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #316 of 386
The V2 has an extremely good chance to match the focal as I believe it is very similar in character...

...so actually I would say the HEK V2 is very, very much like the Utopia but with a larger stage.

I'll have to disagree with you here. Not saying which is better because that will depends on what kind of sound signature that you prefer but I had some side-by-side time with all three headphones recently (V1 and Utopia being mine) listening out of Chord Dave and a Cavalli Liquid Carbon V2 (separately). The difference in dynamic, vocal presentation, detail retrival, bass extension etc favours the Utopia by a good distance. Tho I can't really tell much difference between the V1 and V2, the feel of V2 (especially the pads) are way more comfortable for me.

While I'll most likely upgrade to a V2 sometime in the future but if push comes to shove I'll drop the HEK without skipping a heartbeat :headphones:

I know you have a different preference towards HEK and don't favour Utopia much but anyone I've met and having listened to both headphones thus far would pick an Utopia over HEK...but its not so much which is better but how they differ. They are both very good while having a different sound signature but will always be compared to each other due to both playing in the same premium niche headphone market. To each his/her own but we anyone lucky enough to own one or both of them should get years of enjoyment out of them.

Now I will need more time comparing V1 to V2 in my own rig before I contemplate upgrading :smile:

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #317 of 386
Just to be clear,
After comparison of Utopia to hd800,
I actually prefer Utopia.
It is more tonaly correct with more micro dynamics of instruments providing a bit more realism.

The point is my comparison of V1 & V2 are remarkably very similar findings.

This is why I favor the V2 to be similar to the Utopia.
I do like the Utopia over the 800.
But its only Achilles heel is the proximity of the soundstage.
A slight bit too close..
I did not perceive this problem with the V2 ..

Edit:
Thee real problem with Utopia is the stock cable.
Replacement cable is mandatory.
This may prove to fix is top end being a touch dull.
HD800 treble better but too much even moded.

V2 sig has none of the flaws those two have.
Will do a real comparison next week once my V2 is burned in.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #319 of 386
A bit too close..

Yes...Utopia can be rather forward sounding, that's both a plus and a minus. I did a back and forth between HEK and Utopia just a couple of days back. With Utopia the singer is about 5 feet away while with HEK it is about a further 10 feet back. I do like HEK in many ways (that's why I bought it) but after Utopia, the HEK can be rather uninvolving. On a lazy evening I could just plug in my HEK and listen away catching a breather without bothered about the Utopia for precisely this same reason, because after Utopia I alway want more.

But if you do favour a more laid back sound with wider soundstage, HEK should be your weapon of choice

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #320 of 386

A bit too close..

Yes...Utopia can be rather forward sounding, that's both a plus and a minus. I did a back and forth between HEK and Utopia just a couple of days back. With Utopia the singer is about 5 feet away while with HEK it is about a further 10 feet back. I do like HEK in many ways (that's why I bought it) but after Utopia, the HEK can be rather uninvolving. On a lazy evening I could just plug in my HEK and listen away catching a breather without bothered about the Utopia for precisely this same reason, because after Utopia I alway want more.

But if you do favour a more laid back sound with wider soundstage, HEK should be your weapon of choice

Toolman I agree here with you.
This is why I modded my V1 .
Yet the V2 is a different animal and can be considered neutral in presentation, no longer laid back.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #321 of 386
I wonder to what extent this comparative evaluation of differences is based on highly relative variables.  I just replaced the stock V1 cable with a Norne Silvergarde S cable, and it has dramatically altered certain aspects of the sound signature, especially, what is being described here as the v1's "laid-back" quality. It has not lost any of the wide and airy soundstage, but the notes in the entire frequency spectrum have acquired more bite and presence; the bass still goes deep, and hits you with near-subwoofer-like resonance, depending on the musical content at the source, but it also has more definition in that there are individual notes in the low end that were barely discernible with the stock cable, that now stand out clearly.  There is definitely more to report, but I shall have to do a more patient back-and-forth swapping of stock and silvergarde cables in order to get more details. In short the V1 with the silvergarde cable is a different animal, and I wonder what will happen if the V2 stock ear pads also become available and can replace those on the V1. I really have no bone to pick with those who have gone for the upgrade and found it to be worth their while, but I would caution against jumping to hard and fast conclusions about the differences without having done thorough testing of both with different accessories, such as cables and ear pads, not to mention peripherals.  The official V2, is after all, just a mod of the official stock v1, when all is said and done, and as far as mods go, "official" does not always necessarily mean "better." One could also say that "different" does not always necessarily mean "better," and I would not disagree with that sentiment either. Just saying.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #322 of 386
I wonder to what extent this comparative evaluation of differences is based on highly relative variables.  I just replaced the stock V1 cable with a Norne Silvergarde S cable, and it has dramatically altered certain aspects of the sound signature, especially, what is being described here as the v1's "laid-back" quality. It has not lost any of the wide and airy soundstage, but the notes in the entire frequency spectrum have acquired more bite and presence; the bass still goes deep, and hits you with near-subwoofer-like resonance, depending on the musical content at the source, but it also has more definition in that there are individual notes in the low end that were barely discernible with the stock cable, that now stand out clearly.  There is definitely more to report, but I shall have to do a more patient back-and-forth swapping of stock and silvergarde cables in order to get more details. In short the V1 with the silvergarde cable is a different animal, and I wonder what will happen if the V2 stock ear pads also become available and can replace those on the V1. I really have no bone to pick with those who have gone for the upgrade and found it to be worth their while, but I would caution against jumping to hard and fast conclusions about the differences without having done thorough testing of both with different accessories, such as cables and ear pads, not to mention peripherals.  The official V2, is after all, just a mod of the official stock v1, when all is said and done, and as far as mods go, "official" does not always necessarily mean "better." One could also say that "different" does not always necessarily mean "better," and I would not disagree with that sentiment either. Just saying.

Well said.
All our subjective impressions are very system dependent.
I did make note that V1 does well with forward or Ss gear.
Nothing wrong at all with V1

V2 is my preference as stated before.

Also I am familiar with this pure silver cable from Norne ...
It is quite possibly the greatest cable ever made.
It immediately extends the highs and opens up ambiance and gives top end air.
This cable will make a believer of the most DieHard skeptic..
There are other very good cables out there,
but none I have ever heard does what this cable does to the ambience..

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #323 of 386

For those looking to pick up an HE1000 V2, if you buy it from us this week, you can get a Pico amplifier of your choice on the house.  The Pico power sounds fantastic with the V2, I am listening to the combination as we speak.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/826352/headamp-holiday-deals-rolling-annoucements

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 23, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #324 of 386

...I just replaced the stock V1 cable with a Norne Silvergarde S cable, and it has dramatically altered certain aspects of the sound signature, especially, what is being described here as the v1's "laid-back" quality. It has not lost any of the wide and airy soundstage, but the notes in the entire frequency spectrum have acquired more bite and presence; the bass still goes deep, and hits you with near-subwoofer-like resonance, depending on the musical content at the source, but it also has more definition in that there are individual notes in the low end that were barely discernible with the stock cable, that now stand out clearly.

... I am familiar with this pure silver cable from Norne ...
It is quite possibly the greatest cable ever made.
It immediately extends the highs and opens up ambiance anf gives top end air.

Connecting my Norne Eternus to my HEK V1 made me appreciate this headphone more. This clearly shown the original cable are far from optimising the potential of this headphone.

I have very good results from my DHC silver Complement4 and Nordost Heimdall2 headphone cables as well. To my ears, these cables delivers and added substantially to the headphone. YMMV

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #325 of 386
I will be working on this cable to make for the Utopia.

It made an huge air increase to the Ether Flow.

I have a really heavy pure silver cable custom made double thickness from ELA-Audio, which gives incredible focus to my HD800 & HE1000 v1

Yet the Norne pure silver still is superior

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #326 of 386
I will be working on this cable to make for the Utopia.

It makes huge air increase to the Flow.

I have a really heavy pure silver cable custom made double thickness from ELA-Audio, which gives incredible focus to my HD800 & HE1000 v1

Yet the Norne pure silver still is superior

Interesting :  Could you elaborate more on the Ela-Audio and Norne comparison?  When you say "double-thickness", are you referring to a size that is standard among "ela-Audio's inventory, or did you have to specifically request one that is 2x the standard size of his standard silver cables?   I am curious because I have thought of ordering a 15 ft silver cable from him, but have always stopped short, because of my inability to assess the performance of what I will be getting.  The Norne cables are clearly fantastic, but they're also more expensive--so expensive that a 15 ft version would probably require a budget I cannot justify.  Any helpful thoughts would be greatly welcome. Thanks in advance.

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #328 of 386
I personally use a DIY 12 wire copper cable with Oyaide connectors (dual xlr and 2.5) finalised by PETEREK and I do find it better than the stock cable. This, however, is most likely due to my affection to the cable project and its long road around the world. I say this because even thought I got the cable mainly for ergonomic and visual purposes, it's hard for me to believe in great differences between cables after seeing the hair-thin cables inside the headphones connecting the cables to the drivers.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #330 of 386
Maxx134, would you also provide a link to the exact Norne cable you are referring to?

Hi sorry I was away.
The ELA-Audio "Ultimate" version is my best cable.
It was different character than the Norne pure silver.
The ELA is more cost effective because it is not a complex stranded cable.

The ELA Instead it uses sold core wiring in huge thick braided cable.

The sound is more lazer like and strong and clear.
Most clear cable I heard.

The Norne is more top end air perception,
but just like the Draug2 it adds this perception which is not what other cables do.

Here is a pic of the ELA:

ELA-Audio is an eBay seller.

Both cables I would say are the best I herd, easily surpassing a silver dragon, for instance,
Yet that is only my personal views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back