Breaking News: HE1000 V2
Dec 4, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #332 of 386
Maxx134, would you also provide a link to the exact Norne cable you are referring to?

It was "Silvergarde" and was also ordered custom as there was no link to this cable at the time, and I haven't checked recently so don't know if any link to it.

It is similar design to a Draug2 cable except made all silver and nice thick soft sleeving.
Very soft, very flexible,
while the other company (ELA) cable is a bit stiff & heavier but still ok

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #334 of 386
I was at a friend's house,
And after over an hour battle for my head time between Utopia , two HD800, and the HEK V2,

The HEK V2 won out for me by sounding the most majestic and refined.

The Utopia had a bit more micro dynamics over the HD800, but was the most lean sounding as well.

The HD800 had the widest, stage, but lacked the bottomless pit of authoritative bass that the HEKV2 produced.
The HEK V2 soundstage also was most realistic as there was no excessive treble or exaggerated soundstage(800), while keeping very relaxed authoritive image placement, without being to forward or aggressive(Utopia&800),
Or being too intimate(Utopia).

Details were laid out across spectrum, and not focused on the upper range(800) or the mids(Utopia).
Bass definition was extremely impressive on the HEKV2.

The HEKV2 simply had the most complete, matured, and realistic sound to me.

All detailing was there.
The ability to convey ambient cues with easier comprehension in a neutral tonality(Utopia) was superior on the HEK over both the others.
The HD800 shifted this range of detailing to a brighter tonality regardless of mods.
Specific tube rolling was required to optimize the already moded 800.

The HEK V2 has the advantage of not needing ANY mods to sound more refined and polished than the others modded or not, and my own HEKV1 mods I have done in past could not emulate this ease of comprehension of detailing.

It is more taller and immersive soundstage than all the others.
It is more involving, even though the Utopia and HD800 are among THE BEST at producing an INVOLVING musical presentation.

Time to let the cat out of the bag.
HEK V2 is the best, to my ears.

Quick notes:
HD800= impressiveness/grandness
Utopia= intimacy/musicality
HEK V2= Refined/majestic/complete

There you go...

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #335 of 386
Maxx134,

Great to read of your impression.
My version 2 is breaking in as we speak and I hope to hear everything that you are.

A couple hours in and I the sound is fantastic though the soundstage seems much smaller than version 1--will see what a hundred hours will do.

And for those sitting on the fence for the upgrade, I have to say that version two seems much lighter and more polished as a final product--and sound more dynamic, all around.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #336 of 386
Maxx134,

Great to read of your impression.
My version 2 is breaking in as we speak and I hope to hear everything that you are.

A couple hours in and I the sound is fantastic though the soundstage seems much smaller than version 1--will see what a hundred hours will do.

And for those sitting on the fence for the upgrade, I have to say that version two seems much lighter and more polished as a final product--and sound more dynamic, all around.

I found V2 about 30% closer and 20% taller& deeper.
Much Greater solidity/tonality of images in distance.

Good change as I found V1 laid back due to this stretching/ghosting of soundstage distance,
Which was only resolved with powerful forward sounding gear.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #337 of 386
I owned a HE1000 V1 and sold it in favor of my LCD-3F.   I just needed that solid full tonality of the Audeze.   I have seen some comments regarding the V2 improving in this area. Is it anywhere near as solid as a LCD-3 or even LCD-4 in this area?

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #338 of 386
I found the LCD-X livelier&larger than the LCD3 but not as refined.
Both have Audeze house sound with accentuated bass.

While HEK definitely excells in this area now, with full solidity,

It should be auditioned to see if I has the bass or signature is to your preference.
The V2 does have the larger stage when I compared the HEKV2 directly against the LCD3.

I see the HEK as the more accurate can.
Can't say anything about the LCD4 though.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #340 of 386
For those who felt that the HEK V1 was "hazy", how does the HEK V2 compare?

This question is only for those who felt the HEK1 was hazy- not for those that felt the HEK 1 was ultra transparent.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #341 of 386
The Utopia had a bit more micro dynamics over the HD800, but was the most lean sounding as well.

???
I've never heard anyone say this about the Utopia - especially in comparison to the HD800. IMO the Utopia has great 'body' and tonal balance - and I'm using a chip based SS amp.
I use the Utopias as an alternative to my Harbeth monitors, which have a wonderfully natural, rich tonality - the Utopias aren't far away. 
What source and amp were you using?

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #342 of 386
  ???
I've never heard anyone say this about the Utopia - especially in comparison to the HD800. IMO the Utopia has great 'body' and tonal balance - and I'm using a chip based SS amp.
I use the Utopias as an alternative to my Harbeth monitors, which have a wonderfully natural, rich tonality - the Utopias aren't far away. 

He probably got the headphones in reverse. The HD800 is the brighter headphone, easier to pick out treble details that are lower in amplitude in the recording, and leaning sounding as well :p

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #343 of 386
  ???

Why? The Utopias are clearly better at detail extraction to my ears than the HD800/HD800S (and so are the HE1000V2s for that matter). But no doubt the Sennheisers are the "leanest" sounding of the bunch!

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #344 of 386
  Why? The Utopias are clearly better at detail extraction to my ears than the HD800/HD800S (and so are the HE1000V2s for that matter). But no doubt the Sennheisers are the "leanest" sounding of the bunch!

I'm not sure what point of view you are trying to convey. I was talking about tonal balance - by far the most important characteristic in transducers - I never mentioned 'detail extraction' (and yes the Utopias are mighty good in this regard - I have no personal experience with the HD800).

@Maxx134 inferred that the Utopias were "the most lean sounding as well" - which is not a criticism or comment I've ever heard (or experienced) in regard to the Utopias.
In fact it appears you agree, as you state the HD800 are "the "leanest" sounding of the bunch!". 
confused_face_2.gif

I think it is likely @Maxx134 meant to convey that the HD800's were the "most lean" of the 3 auditioned headphones - perhaps he can confirm this?  

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #345 of 386

I'm not sure what point of view you are trying to convey. I was talking about tonal balance - by far the most important characteristic in transducers - I never mentioned 'detail extraction' (and yes the Utopias are mighty good in this regard - I have no personal experience with the HD800).

@Maxx134 inferred that the Utopias were "the most lean sounding as well" - which is not a criticism or comment I've ever heard (or experienced) in regard to the Utopias.
In fact it appears you agree, as you state the HD800 are "the "leanest" sounding of the bunch!". 
confused_face_2.gif

I think it is likely Maxx134 meant to convey that the HD800's were the "most lean" of the 3 auditioned headphones - perhaps he can confirm this?  

The person you quoted mentioned detail retrieval and tonal balance and I thought you were referring to both. Thanks for clarifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back