Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #661 of 6,668
Jun 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #662 of 6,668

Im just so confident with my original 120 cause its a more pretty size, has 2 sd slots, i like the leather case more, has probably longer battery life feeding a smaller display
And another thing nobody noticed/named: it has an optical input which i can use with my smart tv and cdplayer, ok its replaced by the balanced out on the 2nd revision but i dont use it.
It drives my hd800 pretty well, i never have to wind the volume to the max.
Mike you just took my last doubt away if to swap to the 120ll

That only leaves the 240 on my wishlist but since i almost never use dsd files since theyre so big and take so long to download and wont mind for a wifi connection
I can surely live leaving 1k$ in my pocket.

Btw is it confirmed that the 120l takes 128gb cards?

now you can find @warrenpchi
 and my overall impressions using all the players post-Newport (lots of work went into that - and its was FUN too)

Overall - the AK240 is KING - all around (sonic integrity, musical/emotive engagement, IMO, dynamics - both micro and macro)...

However, I'd love to live with the AK120II for a longer period of time to compare it to the 240 in its own right... As I've always loved my AK120

But I gotta tell ya!
Running the AK240 in balanced mode via @scootermafia
's Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite (balanced of course) and my HD800s unlocked even greater dynamic contrasts,
gave me a lower noisefloor, and overall PUNCH and air as well! This is truly something remarkable, and an experience I didn't think I'd have with a portable unit
without adding an additional amp.  Running balanced also seemingly gave me more gain (which XLR balanced does in two-channel, in-room components)...

This is just WILD! and just hammered it home that I gotta sell some gear in order to buy an AK240!!!!

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #663 of 6,668
Asking a dumb question here.. for both AK120II and AK240, they come with leather casings that I feel are quite difficult to remove them from once you insert. Any trick to getting them out easier?

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #664 of 6,668
  Asking a dumb question here.. for both AK120II and AK240, they come with leather casings that I feel are quite difficult to remove them from once you insert. Any trick to getting them out easier?

Push it from the bottom (the mini usb) with something small, round and soft (or plastic)

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #665 of 6,668

Im just so confident with my original 120 cause its a more pretty size, has 2 sd slots, i like the leather case more, has probably longer battery life feeding a smaller display
And another thing nobody noticed/named: it has an optical input which i can use with my smart tv and cdplayer, ok its replaced by the balanced out on the 2nd revision but i dont use it.
It drives my hd800 pretty well, i never have to wind the volume to the max.
Mike you just took my last doubt away if to swap to the 120ll

That only leaves the 240 on my wishlist but since i almost never use dsd files since theyre so big and take so long to download and wont mind for a wifi connection
I can surely live leaving 1k$ in my pocket.

Btw is it confirmed that the 120l takes 128gb cards?

Hi, I can confirm the AK120 II will accept and read 128GB SD cards.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #666 of 6,668
  Push it from the bottom (the mini usb) with something small, round and soft (or plastic)

I can confirm, the leather case will loosen up over time and become easier to put on and remove.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #667 of 6,668
Jun 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #668 of 6,668
Jun 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #669 of 6,668
Just bit the bullet on a AK240...

So... how does it sound so far? 
smile.gif

Likewise, congratulations! 
smile.gif
  The AK120II is good player, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  I just think the AK240 is better (IMO of course).

I agree that the AK240 is better in hifi performance - this means things like soundstage, etc.  But that's like saying something is the best chocolate ice-cream in the world.. that may be true, but unfortunately I just prefer vanilla and would pick it over the best chocolate any day. :)

Yup, exactly.  What's interesting here is that even though we have different preferences, we generally agree on the sound of the various players, which is one of the reasons why I love it when people post impressions.

Do find it lacking some definition in soundstage for complicated pieces with many instruments vs AK240.

Yup, I think that's probably the biggest - or at least most noticeable - difference in SQ between the AK120II and AK240.

Warren, did you test the ak120 with firmware 1.33 or 1.37?

Is 1.33 more natural sounding than 1.37?

Lol, 1.32 actually. 
redface.gif

I believe Currawong is getting an AK100II soon, so you might want to check his DAP-off thread.

He is!?

He's not? 
blink.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #670 of 6,668

So... how does it sound so far? 
smile.gif

Ask me next week:)!!
Ordered from the AK240, UERM bundle deal! Expect to receive the player + dock by next week Friday!

So far from what I have heard comparing it with an X5 and AK120, it is stunning! I used my JH Roxanne's for 20 min with the AK240 and fell in love instantly:)!
As soon as I can give an impression + unboxing pics (haven't seen many of those of the dock...) I will add them!:)

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #671 of 6,668
My AK240 arrived yesterday. I spent last night loading music and hopefully today i will get a chance to enjoy it. 

One question. What is the latest firmware number and is it the best ?

Thanks

Ooops...wrong thread.. I will take it where it belongs..

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #672 of 6,668
My AK240 arrived yesterday. I spent last night loading music and hopefully today i will get a chance to enjoy it. 

One question. What is the latest firmware number and is it the best ?

Thanks

Ooops...wrong thread.. I will take it where it belongs..

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #673 of 6,668
For the ones interested, I found quite a lot of videos on the new AK120II. I have been looking for some time but never considered that they might call the player the AK120 2...
Here's the first link: Unboxing. I suspect that interested people can find their way from here on:)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAM_6uGv_e0

Btw. looking at those themes, from the looks perspective, I am happy I went with the AK240!:)

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #674 of 6,668
Is there a list price on the AK120 II? Is there a street price yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back