Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #632 of 6,668
Jun 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #633 of 6,668
  Like I said, "depending upon what you are looking for"

...if all someone wants is a DAP that will fit in one's pocket, then of course the AK240 might be the way to go.  However, if someone doesn't care as much about the form factor, given that they cost essentially the same, people should also audition the Hugo and let the best SQ win.  Cheers.

Thread heading clearly stated...looking for AK 120ll/100ll.

Amp or DAC on-the-go...quite a lot more choices and Hugo is not the "only" answer and they should be discussed in other forums.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #634 of 6,668
Interesting review by a Japanese. Seems to tie up with Warren and Mercer's impression that AK120II is analytical type while AK240 is musical with all the clarity, details etc.
As described by the Japanese reviewer, AK120II is monitor studio reference type while AK240 is 'pure audio'.
(As per Google translate)

Anyone with a better grasp at Japanese please help translate to us :)

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/review/20140609_651220.html

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #635 of 6,668
Anyone with a better grasp at Japanese please help translate to us
smily_headphones1.gif

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/review/20140609_651220.html

That sounds like a job for Team Tokyo! 
smile.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #637 of 6,668
If I plan to use the DAP directly through unbalanced socket to my SE846, will there be any benefit having dual DAC vs single DAC?

I'm no technical person and I think dual DAC has not much to do with whether balanced or single-ended output.  Balanced/single-ended is an amping design in a DAP/head-amp.  Balanced, from what I've learned in the forum, has better ability to reject noise/interference.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #639 of 6,668
  I'm no technical person and I think dual DAC has not much to do with whether balanced or single-ended output.  Balanced/single-ended is an amping design in a DAP/head-amp.  Balanced, from what I've learned in the forum, has better ability to reject noise/interference.

yeah the dual-dac is beneficial from a stereo output - overall sonic integrity standpoint. Running balanced can have numerous benefits - (better dimensionality, spacial placement, lower noisefloor, etc.)

If I plan to use the DAP directly through unbalanced socket to my SE846, will there be any benefit having dual DAC vs single DAC?

as stated above - AND - it's all about execution! The A&K boys have done a terrific job with their Dual DAC design - so yeah the benefit will still be audible via unbalanced output!

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #640 of 6,668
  I like the skinnier form factor, although they added bulk to it's height.  Wasn't the original AK120 dual Wolfson?  So it has the same dual chips(CS4398) as the AK240. With lower output impedance of 2ohms.  I wonder how the AK120II competes with the 240(has the same dual chipset)?

now you can find @warrenpchi and my overall impressions using all the players post-Newport (lots of work went into that - and its was FUN too)

Overall - the AK240 is KING - all around (sonic integrity, musical/emotive engagement, IMO, dynamics - both micro and macro)...

However, I'd love to live with the AK120II for a longer period of time to compare it to the 240 in its own right... As I've always loved my AK120

But I gotta tell ya!
Running the AK240 in balanced mode via @scootermafia's Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite (balanced of course) and my HD800s unlocked even greater dynamic contrasts,
gave me a lower noisefloor, and overall PUNCH and air as well! This is truly something remarkable, and an experience I didn't think I'd have with a portable unit
without adding an additional amp.  Running balanced also seemingly gave me more gain (which XLR balanced does in two-channel, in-room components)...

This is just WILD! and just hammered it home that I gotta sell some gear in order to buy an AK240!!!!

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #642 of 6,668
I would really love to hear Mike and Warren's impressions with balanced cables on the AK100II and the AK120 II...

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #643 of 6,668
  This is just WILD! and just hammered it home that I gotta sell some gear in order to buy an AK240!!!!

Man, the more you get used to the AK240, the more everything else will sound meh.  I fear that the AK240 will be indomitable once you've gotten used to it. 
eek.gif

Mike/Warren, can't remember if you guys had posted battery life tests yet?

Nope, have not done that yet.  But since I have the units here with me for the first leg of our review, I'll give them each a run through now - in balanced mode playing an even mix of 16/44.1, 24/96, 24/192 and DSD. 
smile.gif

I would really love to hear Mike and Warren's impressions with balanced cables on the AK100II and the AK120 II...

Challenge accepted! 
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #644 of 6,668
Cool video from Innerfidelity, showing the new players alongside the AK240:)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/show-newport-2014-show-stopper-astellkern-reveal-new-ak120ii-and-ak100ii-portable-players

Just a question to current AK240 users, when playing a song without having the album's art... Does it show the triangled patron in dark blue with the AK 'A' in grey?
The reason I am asking is because I personally think that this art looks pretty good, whereas the pictures of the AK100II and AK120II show a pretty cheap looking white'ish AK background logo.
Forgive me, I am pretty demanding on the looks:)

Edit. Just to be more clear about my question haha... What I would like to know is, whether the AK240 shares the exact same UI with the same pre-loaded art:)

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #645 of 6,668
Nope, the themes are different.  Same UI, different "wallpaper" so to speak.  Still, I would imagine they will - and have asked them to - expand the number of themes available (if not let us make our own).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back