Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 11, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #4,801 of 6,668
Even the lowly AK100ii sounds noticeably better than the X5/DX90 (to my ears anyway).

It's a much bigger upgrade than people say on these boards.

I haven't heard the 100ii, but I can certainly say the 120ii is an enormous leap over the X5. I'm reviewing the Cayin N5 right now, and it also doesn't hold a candle to AK. :)

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #4,802 of 6,668
I agree that the 120ll eats the X5 for breakfast.  Never had the DX90, but my DX50 with JDSLabs C5 amp was eaten by the X5.  The Pono is better than the X5, but it is a matter of degrees (maybe 10-15% better).  The 120ll is a big old quantum jump better then all that I've had.  It is also MUCH more pleasing to my ears then the N6, which I found too digital and crisp.  The 120ll has a more analog feel to its sound signature.  Gotta hear it to understand just how good it is.  

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #4,803 of 6,668
Fact is, low resolution mp3 are still crap no matter how you convert it to FLAC or DSD. Saying mp3 converted to DSD is good is like comparing a 35mm full frame Dslrs to a medium format camera. 35mm is as good resolution as a medium format camera? How could that be, right?! Very simple logic.

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4,804 of 6,668
Having owned the Pono I know many people had a bad taste in theirs mouths before they ever heard it. I kinda understood it, it was based on the marketing prior to and immediately following it's release. After hearing it, I was like this thing is good, it was a little thin sometimes to me but I enjoyed it. I picked up my AK100ii for what I felt was a good price used and instantly I heard the difference in sq between it and the Pono. People all over these threads negatively blast AK, and I am not sure why. Price? That is relative, if you don't want it don't buy it. The UI, the build quality and the sound are top notch. I have learned not to mention price in any comparison, because perceived value is in the eyes of the beholder. I now have the AK120ii. I would love to have a 240ss but will wait until the price declines on the used market, it will be quite a while. I am a satisfied AK listener. I actually bought the AKT5p and used the preset setting with the 100ii and was blown away by the sound quality, not at first but once I settled in to them.

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #4,805 of 6,668
With the AK the proof is in your ears.  It is clearly (pardon the pun) better than even I expected it to be.  It's good!.  I love the Pono, didn't find it thin (for my types of music), but the 120ll just stands above the Pono.  It takes a single listening session to figure that out.  The price is ridiculous, which is probably why there is some negativity.  But it delivers.  For its price I feel the Pono does as well.  

I don't like MP3 either, though many people do.  To each their own.  Anything with parts of it removed is damaged good, no matter how people try to twist that fact.  

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #4,806 of 6,668
I love all this AK love fest, cuz I agree!

Before I got the AK100ii, I heard a lot of people say AK's are not worth the money and that the SQ is about the same as the X5/DX90...

They could not have been more wrong. The UI is amazing but the sound quality is where it's at.

It sounds so gorgeously natural and analog. Frankly the X5/DX90 sound very digitial and forced next to the effortless analog sound of the AK100ii. It presents the same details with much better seperation/3D holographic realism while sounding more natural/coherent/and analog at the same time. Transparency/clarity/naturalness, it's all a big step up.

Hearing is believing.

With the Layla... Holy Mother of God... hard to describe the audio heaven I've been in lately. Haha
etysmile.gif

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,807 of 6,668
I love all this AK love fest, cuz I agree!

Before I got the AK100ii, I heard a lot of people say AK's are not worth the money and that the SQ is about the same as the X5/DX90...

They could not have been more wrong. The UI is amazing but the sound quality is where it's at.

It sounds so gorgeously natural and analog. Frankly the X5/DX90 sound very digitial and forced next to the effortless analog sound of the AK100ii. It presents the same details with much better seperation/3D holographic realism while sounding more natural/coherent/and analog at the same time. Transparency/clarity/naturalness, it's all a big step up.

Hearing is believing.

With the Layla... Holy Mother of God... hard to describe the audio heaven I've been in lately. Haha :etysmile:  

I agreed totally.

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #4,808 of 6,668
Astell & Kern is a funny brand. They do charge too much, I feel, but you get the best sound on the market, so it's impossible to feel cheated.

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #4,809 of 6,668
I have to agree- the sound of the 120ll is just so much better than anything I had before it.  It's stunning.  I also like the build quality, which is really solid.  The UI/file handling is smart.  Makes the other DAPs I've had (iBasso, Colorfly, Fiio, Pono) seem...simple.  Worth the money?  Up to the buyer.  If I could afford a Maserati, I'd buy one.  Would it be better than my Acura?  Sure.  Worth the money?  If I got enjoyment out of it, I'd say yes.

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #4,810 of 6,668
i cant not agree more than many of u here, i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee the ak100ii

i was just wondering is the sony zx2 or cowon p1 are better in sq department

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4,811 of 6,668
I didn't go for the Sony due to comments that it didn't pair well with the UERM.  According to everything I've read, the Sony has better battery power.  SQ?  Don't know.

Never used a Cowon.

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #4,812 of 6,668
i cant not agree more than many of u here, i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee the ak100ii

i was just wondering is the sony zx2 or cowon p1 are better in sq department

If you're looking for an upgrade but don't want to spend the ridiculous amount for the 120ii, have a look at the Questyle Audio QP1R. Everyone says it murders the competition. I desperately want to try it myself.

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #4,813 of 6,668
Exactly, price is relative. As long as we conclude that the enjoyment is worth our money.

I bought my 100ii used for about $550, the lucky benefactor to a 3 months old barely-used unit, bcos the previous owner upgraded to the 240. Sound-wise it's a step up from my X5ii. Wider soundstage and much better detail. A great match for my JH13 and SE846.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #4,815 of 6,668
I agree that the 120ll eats the X5 for breakfast.  Never had the DX90, but my DX50 with JDSLabs C5 amp was eaten by the X5.  The Pono is better than the X5, but it is a matter of degrees (maybe 10-15% better).  The 120ll is a big old quantum jump better then all that I've had.  It is also MUCH more pleasing to my ears then the N6, which I found too digital and crisp.  The 120ll has a more analog feel to its sound signature.  Gotta hear it to understand just how good it is.  

IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/2hclv1d.png[/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back