Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 10, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #4,786 of 6,668
smile.gif
  Smooth is not "better quality."  It may sound better to you based on whatever the program is doing, but the reality is that nothing can increase the quality in actuality.  An MP3 can not by magic be made into a DSD.  It is still an MP3.  You may like it in a DSD container, but it is still an MP3.   The only was you can get a DSD is by starting out with a DSD.  Again, you can down-sample easily, and retain some of the inherent quality.  But you can not gain quality by up-sampling.  The file does not have the information needed to do so.  

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #4,787 of 6,668
DSD format will make the music more smoothly even though the material will be the same. I just need someone who has used JRIVER to upsampled to DSD files to prove that I am wrong.

You cannot prove a negative. The burden of proof is on you claiming there's a difference. It's all in your head. You want proof? Perform a double-blind test with with standard FLAC files and your upsampled DSD files.

Put a bunch of copies of the same DSD and FLAC files into a folder, turn on shuffle, close your eyes and listen. See if you can identify which is FLAC and which is upsampled.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #4,788 of 6,668
You cannot prove a negative. The burden of proof is on you claiming there's a difference. It's all in your head. You want proof? Perform a double-blind test with with standard FLAC files and your upsampled DSD files.

Put a bunch of copies of the same DSD and FLAC files into a folder, turn on shuffle, close your eyes and listen. See if you can identify which is FLAC and which is upsampled.

I am sure that someone is using JRIVER and might give us some impression about this argument.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #4,789 of 6,668
Google "up-sample MP3" and there are some interesting threads.  Up-sampling is, of course, possible, but there is a lot of discussion about what is actually happening when it is done.  Some folks feel there is an improvement, and some don't.  

However, the reality is that if a program is up-sampling, it is artificially doing something to the original file to make it sound "different."  If you like that different, then clearly doing what you are doing is a good thing for you.   No one here is saying, "don't do it."  We are merely pointing out, as we keep saying, that you cannot make a sound file "actually" better.  You can make it, to you, "perceivably" better.  Two different things.  

I suggest that you use Google and search for threads relating to up-sampling MP3 and CD files to DSD using the JRiver app. That way, you might get some information that is valuable to you.  Continuing this discussion here seems to be taking us off-topic, which is the AK120ll, and more into another area.  

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #4,790 of 6,668
Google "up-sample MP3" and there are some interesting threads.  Up-sampling is, of course, possible, but there is a lot of discussion about what is actually happening when it is done.  Some folks feel there is an improvement, and some don't.  

However, the reality is that if a program is up-sampling, it is artificially doing something to the original file to make it sound "different."  If you like that different, then clearly doing what you are doing is a good thing for you.   No one here is saying, "don't do it."  We are merely pointing out, as we keep saying, that you cannot make a sound file "actually" better.  You can make it, to you, "perceivably" better.  Two different things.  

I suggest that you use Google and search for threads relating to up-sampling MP3 and CD files to DSD using the JRiver app. That way, you might get some information that is valuable to you.  Continuing this discussion here seems to be taking us off-topic, which is the AK120ll, and more into another area.  

I did Google search this topic and JRiver forum.but haven't find the answer. That's why I post this topic here.

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #4,791 of 6,668
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72908.0

Takes some reading, there's a bunch of other stuff in there as well, but your question is, relatively, answered.  However, it does note that, in the case mentioned, you need a player that will play DSD.  The 120ll (and 100ll) convert DSD to 24 bit for playing. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #4,792 of 6,668
Sorry to prolong the side-topic, but if you guys want to download for free some excellent music that has been recorded in DSD, not remastered in DSD, check out the German audiophile site Hifistatement.  They have a downloads page here: 

http://www.hifistatement.net/download

For the performances that were recorded in DSD, they provide pics of the gear they used, etc.  A range of genres; all live.  

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #4,793 of 6,668
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72908.0

Takes some reading, there's a bunch of other stuff in there as well, but your question is, relatively, answered.  However, it does note that, in the case mentioned, you need a player that will play DSD.  The 120ll (and 100ll) convert DSD to 24 bit for playing. 

Thanks for the research.
It did confirm my belief that by converting 44.1 CD to DSD, sound quality did improved. But since AK120II weill convert all DSD files to PCM first. The advantage of playing DSD natively has lost
Maybe I need to upgrade to 240 or 380.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #4,794 of 6,668
Thanks for the research.
sound quality did improved. 

Well, perceived sound quality improved for some people, and not others.  Actual sound quality, that's a whole other matter.  

You could buy a Fiio X5ll, that plays DSD as DSD, and save about $2100 over an AK240.  Or a Fiio X3ll and save even more.   

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #4,795 of 6,668
Well, perceived sound quality improved for some people, and not others.  Actual sound quality, that's a whole other matter.  

You could buy a Fiio X5ll, that plays DSD as DSD, and save about $2100 over an AK240.  Or a Fiio X3ll and save even more.   

But you can't get same kind of luxury feel, detailed, clear and soundstage of AK.

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #4,797 of 6,668
But you can't get same kind of luxury feel, detailed, clear and soundstage of AK.

You have a wonderful imagination, and could easily convince yourself the X3ii sounded like the AK240.

:)

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #4,800 of 6,668
Even the lowly AK100ii sounds noticeably better than the X5/DX90 (to my ears anyway).

It's a much bigger upgrade than people say on these boards.

I went in thinking it might just be a UI upgrade and nothing on the sonics part. Fortunately, it was a significant upgrade on both fronts.

I would highly recommend people to make the jump if they can.

I'm kind of waiting for AK to announce their next generation players. I want to skip the AK380 and the older AK240. I'm waiting for the AK240ii or maybe even the AK120iii

I'm also hoping AK brings an amp module for the lower tier players as well. I may not even have to upgrade if AK would just make an amp for the AK100ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back