Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #4,726 of 6,668
  I simply dragged my FLAC files from my desktop.  I don't use iTunes, but I seem to recall reading here somewhere that iTunes files would transfer right over.  

I figured out my problem.  It's user error lol.  I had deleted a few files from the iTunes library but they were still listed in the playlist I was "dragging and dropping" from.  So there wasn't a file to copy. Eventually got everything ported over to the AK and now happily listening to my music.  Thanks again

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #4,728 of 6,668
Anybody using a portable amp with their AK100 II or AK120 II?

Oct 4, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #4,732 of 6,668
I use the Continental v3 and adds that great warm tubey sound, just a great pairing.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #4,733 of 6,668
  My UERMs are singing to me right now.  Using the UE balanced for AK cable, sound made for each other.

I like the bass, as I said it seems more transparent, which I like.  Just will take a little time to get used to.

The 846 was a bit thick in the lows and low mids (nice and solid, but thick), and had a decided lack of treble extension.  

I like a more neutral sound, so right now the UERM is it for me.

It's great to see you here, olddude! What colors did you get on your UERM? I recently got ue18's and I've been using the balanced cable on my ak100ii and loving it! The 18 is pretty similar to the 846 in sound stage, just a bit better. My left helix doesn't do well with CIEMs though. I had tons of issues there with my SCS (all in that area), and I got like 3 or 4 refits with my 18's, and I'm now on a complete remake with new impressions and I think I might still be having some issues, errrgh. Do you still have your 846's? I still occasionally love my 846's with the SCS. It's a great setup. I think I'll have to part with mine soon, though, as soon as everything is sorted out and my 18's fit perfectly. I just don't have enough use for 2 IEM's, and while I love the 846's, I'd rather my fully custom setup. I also recently got a pair of LCD-3's, so I just don't see the point of having those, a nice CIEM, and the 846's.

Sorry for how off-topic that was, guys. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #4,735 of 6,668
Thanks guys for showing off your portable rigs and your suggestions!

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #4,736 of 6,668
My UERMs are emerald green, with a black UE logo.  Sold the 846, used the $ to partially offset the cost of the 120ll.  Am selling one (the new one) Pono and some cables for it as well.  The original Pono is going to work for use on my desk with powered speakers.

BTW, I think (to get us back on track) I've figured out why some tracks sound so different from the Pono (not the fiddly bits but the track itself).  It comes down to the width of the soundstage being so much ..well..wider and the  vocals and instruments being spread out so distinctly.  Some of the sounds I was hearing on the Pono were less spread out and mixed with each other, giving the track a different feel.  The 120ll having so much space lessens some of that overlay of sound, giving the tracks a different overall sound.  I'm sure when I get more used to hearing them on the 120ll they will sound more "normal."  

I still am amazed at how good the volume control is, and at how well the device handles the very upper treble.  

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #4,737 of 6,668
Yes. If you can offset the cost of the AK120ii by half a grand, it suddenly becomes an exceptional bargain. I got mine for $1000. I feel lucky as hell, since it sounds like a million bucks. :D

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #4,738 of 6,668
  My UERMs are emerald green, with a black UE logo.  Sold the 846, used the $ to partially offset the cost of the 120ll.  Am selling one (the new one) Pono and some cables for it as well.  The original Pono is going to work for use on my desk with powered speakers.

BTW, I think (to get us back on track) I've figured out why some tracks sound so different from the Pono (not the fiddly bits but the track itself).  It comes down to the width of the soundstage being so much ..well..wider and the  vocals and instruments being spread out so distinctly.  Some of the sounds I was hearing on the Pono were less spread out and mixed with each other, giving the track a different feel.  The 120ll having so much space lessens some of that overlay of sound, giving the tracks a different overall sound.  I'm sure when I get more used to hearing them on the 120ll they will sound more "normal."  

I still am amazed at how good the volume control is, and at how well the device handles the very upper treble.  

u were the only one whom i did not expect u to sell ur 846

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #4,739 of 6,668
  u were the only one whom i did not expect u to sell ur 846

I couldn't get around the lack of treble extension.  Other than that I loved them.  Modding/removing filters, getting the Sensaphonics, all in search of that missing 5-10% of upper upper treble.  With the UERM I don't have to constantly reach for that area, hoping to hear it but never sure if I'm getting all of it.  Like a bass-head in reverse.   With the 120ll and the UERM I'm getting exactly the treble I want, without the feeling that it's overshadowing the rest of the sound.  

And I used the money I got for it to make buying the 120ll a bit less wrenching emotionally.  I can afford it, it just seemed profligate somehow to spend that kind of money on a DAP.   So it was a win-win.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #4,740 of 6,668

I couldn't get around the lack of treble extension.  Other than that I loved them.  Modding/removing filters, getting the Sensaphonics, all in search of that missing 5-10% of upper upper treble.  With the UERM I don't have to constantly reach for that area, hoping to hear it but never sure if I'm getting all of it.  Like a bass-head in reverse.   With the 120ll and the UERM I'm getting exactly the treble I want, without the feeling that it's overshadowing the rest of the sound.  

And I used the money I got for it to make buying the 120ll a bit less wrenching emotionally.  I can afford it, it just seemed profligate somehow to spend that kind of money on a DAP.   So it was a win-win.

Glad you found a buyer for the 846 dude, I'm still enjoying mine with the blue filter mod. They handle all my bass needs, while the JH13 handles all my treble/detail needs. Good to see you enjoying your 120ii as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back