Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #4,696 of 6,668
Hello.  Just got a new 120ll and am really enjoying it.  Loading on my Mac is easy, my 128 card scanned the first time in less than a minute, the controls are intuitive and this thing sound great.

However, before I updated the firmware it would give me a home screen with MOS Stream and Settings and then the various Songs /Artists/Folders listings and above it all the album art.  After I updated it takes me to a screen than has all of the Artist/Folder/Songs boxes and the album art, but no MOS Streaming or Settings.  I couldn't figure out how to get back to it, read the directions, they say push the Home button, but when I press the area indicated on the touch screen (below the music info boxes), nothing.  Couldn't figure out how to get back to settings, more reading, found the pulldown for Notifications and accessed Setting that way.

So, my questions are, do I have a non-functioning Home button, am I pressing it wrong somehow, did the update remove its functionality on purpose or inadvertently, or is something else going on?  I have no plans to stream music (I like old-fashioned files) but I'm a bit concerned that my fancy new machine has an issue.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks to all.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #4,697 of 6,668

So, my questions are, do I have a non-functioning Home button, am I pressing it wrong somehow, did the update remove its functionality on purpose or inadvertently, or is something else going on?  I have no plans to stream music (I like old-fashioned files) but I'm a bit concerned that my fancy new machine has an issue.

the home button is still functional...try going to your now playing screen and press on the home button, the screen will switch back to your home screen. the new home screen was part of the new firmware interface redesign - to my knowledge, there's no other way of going back to the previous firmware.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #4,698 of 6,668
The Home button is invisible, correct?  It's just an area of the touch screen below the boxes and above the bottom edge of the device?  I'm in the now playing screen (Rebecca Pidgeon), it shows album art, time and scrubber, bit rate, song title, artist name, and pause, back and forward buttons.  I touch the home screen area and it moves me back to the song name and artist name above her picture in the top third of the screen, then below it are Album, Songs, Folder, Artists, Store, Playlist and Genre (one word at the top and three down each side).  If I push the Home button again, it just stays there.  So obviously the Home button works to go up from now playing to the directory screen, but I still can't figure out how to get to the MOS/Settings screen.  Though at least I know now the Home button works.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,700 of 6,668
On my pull-down menu the icon is small bolt, not a gear, but anyway yes, it`s in the top right corner.  

Hey olddude - I`m probably not the only one that would love to hear your thoughts on your new 120ii vs your Pono, once you get used to the AK . . . . 

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #4,701 of 6,668
Yep, found the pulldown.  I'll try the gear icon when I get home (leaving now).  As to the Pono, I already like the 120ll more for a variety of reasons just from the short time I've used it.  I'll give a listing maybe tonight or over the weekend.

Thanks for the help.  (I wonder if having the Connect setting off is causing my "issue."  Eh.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #4,702 of 6,668
The AK120ii>Angie have made me like The Rolling Stones a lot more than I did. They sound so good on this setup I've quite fallen in love with them. Whereas before I rarely listened to them and only sort of liked them.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,703 of 6,668
Yep, found the pulldown.  I'll try the gear icon when I get home (leaving now).  As to the Pono, I already like the 120ll more for a variety of reasons just from the short time I've used it.  I'll give a listing maybe tonight or over the weekend.

Thanks for the help.  (I wonder if having the Connect setting off is causing my "issue."  Eh.
welcome to the fold....i have been waiting for you

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,704 of 6,668
  Hello.  Just got a new 120ll and am really enjoying it.  Loading on my Mac is easy, my 128 card scanned the first time in less than a minute, the controls are intuitive and this thing sound great.

However, before I updated the firmware it would give me a home screen with MOS Stream and Settings and then the various Songs /Artists/Folders listings and above it all the album art.  After I updated it takes me to a screen than has all of the Artist/Folder/Songs boxes and the album art, but no MOS Streaming or Settings.  I couldn't figure out how to get back to it, read the directions, they say push the Home button, but when I press the area indicated on the touch screen (below the music info boxes), nothing.  Couldn't figure out how to get back to settings, more reading, found the pulldown for Notifications and accessed Setting that way.

Good to see an old (dude) face
smile.gif

Discussion on the new firmware started on page 294 - you may want to do some selective reading from thereon. It confused many of us at first, but you quickly get used to it. I miss most the long press for the now playing view. You now need to press what little remains of the album art in Folder view. Wifi streaming is not now limited to the MQS server and you can access a NAS for example through Connect. The file management was also much improved.

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #4,705 of 6,668
I've been waiting for the fixes to come around. From what I am reading, I am glad that I stayed on the older version. Don't like the idea that you cannot go back if something is seriously fracked up with newer releases. I will hold out a little longer until I see more improvement. I'm not disliking what I've got, so I see no need to make changes until I see the clouds part and rays of sunshine break through.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #4,706 of 6,668
I've been waiting for the fixes to come around. From what I am reading, I am glad that I stayed on the older version. Don't like the idea that you cannot go back if something is seriously fracked up with newer releases. I will hold out a little longer until I see more improvement. I'm not disliking what I've got, so I see no need to make changes until I see the clouds part and rays of sunshine break through.

It's better to stay with the older FW. It was well optimised for the 3" screen. The new home screen is from AK380 and looks out of place on the smaller screen.
Wait until they add anything significant to the  "Stores" (like Spotify).

As of now, they've just renamed MQS Streaming to AK Connect, with few functionality added to it. This may or maynot be of use to you, unless you're streaming from UPNP/DLNA servers.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #4,707 of 6,668
welcome to the fold....i have been waiting for you

Thanks for the welcome.  I had just sold my Shure 846 and had some extra cash laying around for equipment, saw a good price for the 120ll  and jumped on it.  Gonna sell my basically new backup Pono and take my original one to work to use in my classroom with powered speakers.  That brings the price down to below the new X7 or around an N6 (which I did not like).  One of those moments we have where it's a matter of doing it or later wishing we had.
smile.gif

Thanks to all for the info on the Home button.   Whatever is going on with it I'm sure I'll get used to it.  

The 120ll has a very nice interface, I like it more than all the DAPs I've had before (C3, DX50, X5 and X1, and the Pono.   Lots of info, easy to navigate, not much squinting to see what's what.

It feels solid, and the size is the same as the Pono (minus the triangular shape) length and front size.  Screen is a lot bigger, which helps old eyes. 

Loading music was a snap on my Mac.  Popped my 128 card out of the Pono, slid it into the 120ll and it scanned for less than a minute and everything was there.  I thought it might take hours, so a great and happy surprise.  I dl'd the Android app for Mac, plugged the USB in and transferred all of the Pono's internal music (40+ gigs) in a lot less than an hour.  Took an hour-and-a-half to get it onto my desktop FROM the Pono, so still pretty quick.  

Sound is very very good.  Much more treble extension (and cleaner) than the Pono.  Mids are clearer as well.  Bass is different from the Pono, very interesting.  It sounds more transparent, more easily discerned in terms of notes and vibrations.   Sometimes it seems a bit less than I am used to, but other times it thunders.    It's going to take a while to figure out what is going on there, in comparison to the Pono.   Overall, the whole thing sounds clearer.  Soundstage is much wider as well.  Instrument and vocal placement across the soundstage seems much better.  

I'm working my way through my usual test tracks, listening closely and sometimes just letting it roll over me, getting a better idea of what the sound is doing.  Treble extension, which is where I spend a lot of my happy time, is the best I've ever heard.  High hats, acoustic strings, brush swishes, all are clear and precise.  No sib-sib-sibilance, and I'm using my UERMs.

I also love the volume control.  Such finer control of increase/decrease, a real problem with the Pono, which had pretty much giant steps and could leave you feeling it was a little low or too high with one click of the volume control.  A real boon for an oldie with old ears he's trying to save as long as possible from the trials and tribulations of a life spent listening to loud music, starting with the Fillmore and Avalon ballrooms in the glory days of San Francisco.   I came out of the first night of Cream's first tour and couldn't hear my uninsulated VW bus (all metal walls and ceiling) start up.  I couldn't hear anything until I was halfway across the Golden Gate Bridge that night.  

Thanks for all the help and kind wishes, I'm sure I'll be seeing you all around here as I figure things out or need to ask more questions.  
smile.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #4,708 of 6,668

Thanks for the welcome.  I had just sold my Shure 846 and had some extra cash laying around for equipment, saw a good price for the 120ll  and jumped on it.  Gonna sell my basically new backup Pono and take my original one to work to use in my classroom with powered speakers.  That brings the price down to below the new X7 or around an N6 (which I did not like).  One of those moments we have where it's a matter of doing it or later wishing we had.
smile.gif

Thanks to all for the info on the Home button.   Whatever is going on with it I'm sure I'll get used to it.  

The 120ll has a very nice interface, I like it more than all the DAPs I've had before (C3, DX50, X5 and X1, and the Pono.   Lots of info, easy to navigate, not much squinting to see what's what.

It feels solid, and the size is the same as the Pono (minus the triangular shape) length and front size.  Screen is a lot bigger, which helps old eyes. 

Loading music was a snap on my Mac.  Popped my 128 card out of the Pono, slid it into the 120ll and it scanned for less than a minute and everything was there.  I thought it might take hours, so a great and happy surprise.  I dl'd the Android app for Mac, plugged the USB in and transferred all of the Pono's internal music (40+ gigs) in a lot less than an hour.  Took an hour-and-a-half to get it onto my desktop FROM the Pono, so still pretty quick.  

Sound is very very good.  Much more treble extension (and cleaner) than the Pono.  Mids are clearer as well.  Bass is different from the Pono, very interesting.  It sounds more transparent, more easily discerned in terms of notes and vibrations.   Sometimes it seems a bit less than I am used to, but other times it thunders.    It's going to take a while to figure out what is going on there, in comparison to the Pono.   Overall, the whole thing sounds clearer.  Soundstage is much wider as well.  Instrument and vocal placement across the soundstage seems much better.  

I'm working my way through my usual test tracks, listening closely and sometimes just letting it roll over me, getting a better idea of what the sound is doing.  Treble extension, which is where I spend a lot of my happy time, is the best I've ever heard.  High hats, acoustic strings, brush swishes, all are clear and precise.  No sib-sib-sibilance, and I'm using my UERMs.

I also love the volume control.  Such finer control of increase/decrease, a real problem with the Pono, which had pretty much giant steps and could leave you feeling it was a little low or too high with one click of the volume control.  A real boon for an oldie with old ears he's trying to save as long as possible from the trials and tribulations of a life spent listening to loud music, starting with the Fillmore and Avalon ballrooms in the glory days of San Francisco.   I came out of the first night of Cream's first tour and couldn't hear my uninsulated VW bus (all metal walls and ceiling) start up.  I couldn't hear anything until I was halfway across the Golden Gate Bridge that night.  

Thanks for all the help and kind wishes, I'm sure I'll be seeing you all around here as I figure things out or need to ask more questions.  
smile.gif

Obviously you saw me noticeably absent from the PONO threads. As good as the PONO is the AK dap's are cleaner IMO and better across the spectrum. I started with the AK100ii and got a nice deal from a fellow headfier on the AK120ii. I have both and will probably sell the AK100ii.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #4,709 of 6,668

smile.gif

smile.gif

Hey olddude,

Glad you're enjoying your 120 ii. Bass notes may feel like they've less body, when coming from other DAPs. But, you will appreciate the details, once you get used to the signature. 
These are great with Multi-BA IEMs/CIEMs. If you're in the market for another pair for universal, do check out the Angie's. Definitely a nice upgrade from SE846, for my taste.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #4,710 of 6,668
  Hey olddude,

Glad you're enjoying your 120 ii. Bass notes may feel like they've less body, when coming from other DAPs. But, you will appreciate the details, once you get used to the signature. 
These are great with Multi-BA IEMs/CIEMs. If you're in the market for another pair for universal, do check out the Angie's. Definitely a nice upgrade from SE846, for my taste.

I agree...the Angie pairs so well. The W60 with copperlitz is nice as well. I am listening to the Angie as I type..a little Kings of Leon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back