Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
May 12, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #361 of 4,426
Wow, this thread has grown in just a few days. OK I skimmed read and feel compelled to answer some of them.

1) K10 vs Ref1
   - To me apples to oranges. They're different. I heard both at the show and would say that I agree about the "pace" comment however there's something nice about the K10s too which wow-ed me in terms of it's tonal balance, detail without being forced in my ears. The Ref1 is speeeedy. I personally do feel that the Ref1 has a fantastic sub bass and tight mid bass. In addition to my ears the lower mids seem to pull back a little but come back in the middle and upper midrange and trebles well extended but not offensive

2) Ref1 cables
   - Uber -not- necessary but a welcoming upgrade to the sound. Value for money is entirely personal. It's not like it'll make horrible signature sound wonderful. It's more like making a great sounding signature sound excellent
   - Tried the Whiplash TWAu balanced to the AK240 with the Ref1, and to me it's a step up in sounding expansive. What I don't know if it's the TWAu balanced vs Silver/Gold SE, or if it's Whiplash TWAu vs Tralucent Silver/Gold.

3) ZX1
   - will answer that tonight

4) AK240
   - if one intends to use the AK240 with this, IMHO just go straight for the 2.5mm TRRS balanced termination (assuming that's  your only DAP or if you want to get a adapter later). This past weekend, I tried various IEMs (the K10, Ref1, TG!334, Dita, etc.) from SE to balanced in the AK240 and I left the exhibit smiling. Maybe it's the cable from stock to 3rd party, maybe it's SE -> Balanced but I was highly impressed.

May 12, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #364 of 4,426
  My POV is that AK240 is a DAP whereas Hugo is a DAC/Amp and not sure how one could compare with the other.  AK240 can play music whereas Hugo cannot be a stand alone music player.

Hugo should compare to other DAC/Amp performance while feeding by the same source, rather, IMHO.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the 240 and Hugo are different type of devices Hugo cannot play a sound on its own.  Just wonder have you tried the 240 to Hugo to Ref 1.  My intention was to check for system compare to system rather than device to device.  

May 12, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #366 of 4,426

Try to go audition AK240 for yourself in local stores if possible to find out how it compares with your current iHifi960 (modded) + Portatube plus rig. Bring the 1plus2 along to test. If you don't like it, then you can just order the Ref. 1 with the money. My 1plus2 pairs very well with my AK240 and is definitely a huge step up from my AK120. Before I bought my AK240, I was still contemplating of going down the Red Wine Audio RWAK120-B path and getting a good amp to stack. But now I think I had made a better choice getting the AK240 and did not regret the extravagant spending. It sounds wonderful (with 1plus2) and makes my day-to-day listening at work and commuting so much more convenient and simpler. I actually find it rather redundant to even amp my AK240 as long as I am just listening to it with IEMs. I can't wait to try balanced out with Ref. 1 and see the sonic improvement for myself.

I tried to amped the AK240 with my Vorzuge Duo (uber interconnector) only to find AK240 direct beats with better transparency.  

May 12, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #367 of 4,426
  Thanks for the reply.

I understand the 240 and Hugo are different type of devices Hugo cannot play a sound on its own.  Just wonder have you tried the 240 to Hugo to Ref 1.  My intention was to check for system compare to system rather than device to device.  

2014 up till now I think I drained my wallet deep enough and for now have no desire to go further with the Hugo (and thus not even have the intention to demo the Hugo since its launch) and apparently it is a very good DAC/amp after we saw so many positive reviews (they can't be wrong).  

Going back to where I am now, I don't need amping (like the Tera that I used  Vorzuge Duo in trying to overcome the impedance mismatch with the 1Plus2) to get the best out of the AK240.  I think to start with a good source & end with a good IEM/headphone is the most important areas to put most of the attention.  I bet Hugo will help to provide another sound signature which will extend your enjoyment in Hugo way.

Cheers

May 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #368 of 4,426
Just DIY a 2.5mm TRRS for my AK240/Ref.1/Uber.

Initial impression was that music with higher density of rendition.  Can't AB compare as I don't have two sets of same cable only to recall what I had registered when SE.

May 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #369 of 4,426
Would it be a decent idea to purchase a 1+2 to get an idea of the sound signature of the Ref 1? There are a couple for sale used... If I used it for a bit and it cost me a little bit of money but was able to get an idea how the Ref sounded I would definitely consider it.

May 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #370 of 4,426
Would it be a decent idea to purchase a 1+2 to get an idea of the sound signature of the Ref 1? There are a couple for sale used... If I used it for a bit and it cost me a little bit of money but was able to get an idea how the Ref sounded I would definitely consider it.

Decidedly not! You guys are killing me 
tongue.gif

I've tried to make it so clear that we will obviously be comparing to the 1plus2, as that is the natural human inclination here. It's from the same brand, right? The Ref. 1 is very different from 1plus2. Sure they share some similar traits, and a common Tralucent house sound, but if you're not intimately aware of what that sound is, getting a 1plus2 to taste the Ref. 1 would be useless. They don't have the same sound signature, frequency response, or even the same drivers. It's something totally new and awesome from Tralucent!

beerchug.gif

May 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #373 of 4,426
Lol... your a bad influence!! I'm probably going to get 2 more. I'm really liking the sound of this and I'd also like a CIEM. I've been back and forth between K10 and Roxanne. I've never owned a CIEM, just universal so I am interested in that tight seal.

May 12, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #374 of 4,426
Lol... your a bad influence!! I'm probably going to get 2 more. I'm really liking the sound of this and I'd also like a CIEM. I've been back and forth between K10 and Roxanne. I've never owned a CIEM, just universal so I am interested in that tight seal.

I have found very little difference between the seal I get with my customs vs the seal I get with my universals given the proper selection of tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back