Brand-new earphone: Ocharaku Flat-4 SUI launches at Tokyo Headphone Festival 2012 Spring
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 36
Jul 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 36
I have these in my ears now.

Their tonal balance strikes me as slightly U-shaped, with a strong bass presence and hot treble, though both are well controlled: the former doesn't seem to intrude into the midrange, while the latter manages to avoid being harsh. On certain tracks however there's just a tiny bit too much treble energy for my taste. Mids are well situated, neither too recessed nor too forward, and they have a rather airy presentation. Most impressively, I'm not encountering any noticeable resonance, which I would assume is due to their unique design. These also have an absolutely uncanny affinity for low level information or "micro details." If you like analyzing subtleties in your music, then you should consider giving these a try.

Packaging is very nice: they come in a tin that looks like it could store tea leafs. The build quality of the earphones themselves however is a bit iffy. There's no strain relief and their housing feels a bit insubstantial.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 36
I have these in my ears now.

Thanks a lot for those impressions. They don't sound to bad and the packaging sounds a bit like that of the EQ-5 (but I may be mistaken). You don't reckon you could stick up some pictures do you? Also do you have any more understanding on how the dampening technology works?

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:
Thanks a lot for those impressions. They don't sound to bad and the packaging sounds a bit like that of the EQ-5 (but I may be mistaken). You don't reckon you could stick up some pictures do you? Also do you have any more understanding on how the dampening technology works?

Here are some good pictures from their site:

They look exactly like that in person. I'll try to get a few pictures of my own up later.

As for how the design works, my understanding is very limited, but I believe it has something to do with opposing placement of elements "correcting" resonance issues. The thing that looks like a pipe on top is a phase-correction tube.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 36
Oh they must have updated the site since my last viewing way back when the thread was made. Thanks for the pictures and the tin is not like the EQ-5 one, I sort of expected that. These really do not look like anything else.

Okay, it really does sound like they have put some deep though into it, you so had a better understanding than me so thanks again.

I will leave you to have some more time with them before questioning further. Enjoy!

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
Interested in these too! Any comparisons to other top-tier universals?

In terms of price, they're in the same range as the EX1000, W4R, IE80, FX700, Heaven S, and PFE 232. I think they're competitive with these. I think in some ways they're even up there with the FI-BA-SS, K3003, and TG 334. This is just the preliminary impression I'm getting, and I don't want to hype these too much, so I'm going to give it time to see if my excitement settles down in the next week or so.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

In terms of price, they're in the same range as the EX1000, W4R, IE80, FX700, Heaven S, and PFE 232. I think they're competitive with these. I think in some ways they're even up there with the FI-BA-SS, K3003, and TG 334. This is just the preliminary impression I'm getting, and I don't want to hype these too much, so I'm going to give it time to see if my excitement settles down in the next week or so.

Sounds great! Thanks for the impressions.

I'd love to hear them again after the new-toy effect wears off!
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #28 of 36
Graphs, graphs, graphs... http://sonove.angry.jp/flat4_sui.html

Hot treble: check (though sibilance is equalized out; not sure why the very important 2.5 kHz region is EQ'ed away, though)
Big bass: check (don't compare the bass shelf to the ER4 reference line, that's not how you compare the two; bass needs to be compared to its relative level compared to the midrange and treble)

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #29 of 36
I haven't listened to these a whole lot yet, but I have to agree with MF that they're very revealing, although a bit hot.  I'd say they're on par with any top tier IEM I've heard (I own a few) in terms of detail retrieval, surpassing the K3003's in this regard, and possibly the FI-BA-SS', but their tonality could use some work.  The sibilance is never piercing, though, so much as distracting.  I think I referred to the presentation as "honest, but polite" in another thread and I'd stand by that.  I don't regret buying them.

I just put up an unboxing:

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #30 of 36
Are you using the included comply tips?

Sorry, I may have missed something, but where are these being sold? I checked the website and I'm not seeing an order section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back