Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #1,262 of 1,431
so my worries were unfounded. thank you for clarification!

Only if the hiss is extreme you should be worried, you said that you can hear them only with no music playing right? the hissing is relative to the output of the source and the sensitive and impedance of the earphone, so that's why it changes depending of the source and earphone.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,264 of 1,431
Lasted for 6-7 months. It's time to get mine replaced.

Does anybody know what's the most economical and less time-consuming way to ship to Hong Kong? These are my only pair of IEMs I use daily and I really need mine back quickly.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,265 of 1,431

Does anybody know what's the most economical and less time-consuming way to ship to Hong Kong? These are my only pair of IEMs I use daily and I really need mine back quickly.

I don't think economical and less time consuming coexist...

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,266 of 1,431

You can't win 'em all but I guess registered air mail is cheap and ins't that slow. I sent mine in mid Dicember last year and it took like 2 weeks to get to HK.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,267 of 1,431
Only 6-7 months and they're done? My DBA-02's were going strong for about two years of heavy use until the cable stiffened up enough to crack the insulation. I sent them to BTG Audio who replaced the cables with Westone-type jacks, and I added a Westone EPIC MIC cable, unfortunately no longer made, a year ago. I still use and love them every day. Brian at BTG could make you a cable, or there are other cables available that use that connector.

http://btg-audio.webs.com/mods.htm

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,268 of 1,431
Quote:
yeah, it's only when no music is playing and it's very far from extreme. it all makes sense now, thanks.

Picked these up for a mobile solution and something that  would agree with my K701 taste, and I'm experiencing the same hiss. It's ridiculously loud when nothing is playing and noticeable during quiet songs, most often with classical. It simply sounds like the noise floor has been raised, like you get when a sound sample is amplified too much.

Source to headphones is:

ESI Juli@ > LittleDot Mk. V > *

The K701s are dead silent, but these have an annoying hiss. Will report with different sources/1/4" adapters.

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,270 of 1,431
Quote:
my HM5s are also dead silent, but they're over-the-ear headphones, just like K701. maybe that's where the difference lies?

I was considering it; that since the K701s are open-air cans and I've used nothing but them since late 2008 and put several thousand hours on them, that perhaps I'm just not used to having the ambient sound not being a part of the listening experience.

It makes no difference where the volume knob is at, nor what the levels for the Juli@ are set at in Windows. A different 1/4" adapter doesn't make a difference in sound quality, though the included adapter has a loose fit.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,272 of 1,431
Quote:
the same goes for me; i'm using an usb DAC though

Some Googling suggests that it might be a low impedance/high sensitivity issue, and adding a extension with a couple resistors inside could fix it.

I've been using them on my HP TC4400 using onboard sound straight from the headphone jack and although it's still there, I have to turn the volume way up, near beyond-comfortable listening levels to hear it. I didn't think that the electric design of the tablet would provide a quieter audio experience, but it did! If only it sounded better...

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,273 of 1,431
Update!

I purchased a resistance adapter from these guys for $15, and it's a genuine Etymotic ER38-24. It works a charm on these and has made them just as silent as my K701s and more 'refined' for lack of better words, as I haven't had these for a long enough time. I'm sure I'll be able to point out differences as I begin to use these more, and now I'm looking forward to it. No hiss, just bliss!

If anyone else ever experiences background hiss from these and wants to get rid of it, or if you want to give yourself a little more control over the volume, definitely check that adapter out. The added resistance does a lot!

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,274 of 1,431
Hello, I am new to hifi (used to buy cheap headphones).
The current one I am using, is a koss pro.
It was sufficient till now (it has bass, but I dont like the mids)
Will there be a great difference between the two using a smartphone like
the samsung galaxy s 2? Thanks in advance, TobbelT

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #1,275 of 1,431
Just picked a pair from the mp4nation "2-day" sale for <$100. I had the Vsonic GR07 so I thought I'd try some armature IEM for a change. Overall sound pretty similar in my opinion. The B2 definitely has more details because it can produce those fast notes individually whereas the GR07 will mash it together once the speed goes up. People say the bass are these are weak but they are alright to me. The attack is very prominent and sounds better than the GR07 but after that it just goes splat. For most music I listen to this is enough bass. The highs like cymbal sound a lot more crisp and detailed. I dono if my tips are worn out on the GR07 or what, but the B2 requires 2 less step on the volume to achieve the same loudness and the B2 seals better so my head is more filled with the music. I do like all the accessory it comes with, and I really like it is worn cord up like my GR07. I think I'll switch them around for daily use as either one sound good to me. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back