Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 30, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #692 of 1,431

Tried the Ety triflange with the B2s but didnt work for me. I think the preferred tips for the B2s are single flanges so you can insert the nozzle well deep into the canal. Athough you can insert the triflanges deep enough, the nozzles remain distant from your eardrums and this sort of distorts the sound sig. Just an observation
Quote:
Anyone know which Ety triple flange or Klipsch double fit the B2s?  

I think I've decided that silicon/gel tips provide better sound than complys, trimmed or otherwise.  So I'd like to get deeper silicon tips to try to warm up the sound a bit.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #694 of 1,431
Just got these B2s......man, are they bright.
I love the clarity and detail. I can hear layers quite nicely. Just enough bass for me, what I expect from a BA. Nice sound stage, even has some depth and height to it. Nothing crazy but fairly accurate depictions of each element in a suiting spot. But, boy, we're looking bright in the 2k+ range. Specifically 3k~5k for me is just too harsh.
basshead.gif

I know I'm not doing justice by listening to lower bitrate recordings on these, but is there a way to tame these? It has mellowed out a bit with burn in, I hope it continues. I'm thinking of getting the Tx100 with the filters, see if that helps at all.

Anyone else have any bright ideas? 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #695 of 1,431

Quote:
Just got these B2s......man, are they bright.
I love the clarity and detail. I can hear layers quite nicely. Just enough bass for me, what I expect from a BA. Nice sound stage, even has some depth and height to it. Nothing crazy but fairly accurate depictions of each element in a suiting spot. But, boy, we're looking bright in the 2k+ range. Specifically 3k~5k for me is just too harsh.
basshead.gif

I know I'm not doing justice by listening to lower bitrate recordings on these, but is there a way to tame these? It has mellowed out a bit with burn in, I hope it continues. I'm thinking of getting the Tx100 with the filters, see if that helps at all.

Anyone else have any bright ideas? 
tongue_smile.gif

Shure Olives.  Seems to tone down a little of the brightness - plus pretty good longetivity and really good fit (for me anyway).

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #698 of 1,431

Quote:
The B2s came with comply T100, I think, which helps. It brings down the sharp needles to a dull knife. It's still a bit much. 
Do you think the Olives will tone it down even more?

Did for me.  YMMV.

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #699 of 1,431
I have simply resorted to using treble reduction EQ.  Been trying to get an idea of how neutral the DBA-02/B2s are and they're def. treble-tilted from neutral.  Not even close.

These will be on their way out soon, though I really love them & they have grown on me, I still want a little more neutrality.  For now treble reduction EQ works.

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #700 of 1,431
I personally find the treble to be slightly over emphasized, but otherwise these are pretty balanced.

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #702 of 1,431

Quote:
I personally find the treble to be slightly over emphasized, but otherwise these are pretty balanced.

I do agree that they could tone it down a bit.  Just slightly though.

Quote:
Recommend them for classical music?

I actually would, although classical isn't my favorite genre, I do believe it'll suite classical fine.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #705 of 1,431

Quote:
Give the signature a chance to grow on you.
Actuallly I have EQ'd a small narrow cut in the 7.5k ish range, to offset that pesky ear canal resonance.

You were right (not that I ever doubted). I have grown accustomed to the stronger upper-mids now, but with the help of 2 specific changes.
First major culprit for the sibilance was...banshee media player, the standard player for ubuntu 11.04+.
I was listening to Pandora, and their version of a song I have had less sibilance. My initial reaction was that they used a different method of compression, though mine was a high bitrate file. I tried switching from banshee to amarok, holy crap! Banshee was screwing up something.
The B2s highlights imperfections, and before I had these, I hardly noticed it.

The second change is the tips. The complyfoams which came with the b2 did help slightly, but only slightly. I experimented with different tips and I managed to fit the small triple flanges that came with my wife's Meelectronics by adding a layer in between. Now they sit uncomfortably deep in my ear canals, but the bass feels stronger and somehow the tingly upper mids are less accentuated(does this make any sense??). I'm hoping I'll get used to the deep insertion soon.

The bad news is, I think the soundstage has shrunk considerably. When I first listened to the b2s I felt like I was sitting in a room, about 8ft wide x 6ft, concrete walls and hardwood ceiling. I could almost hear a metallic echo for the upper-mids, the biggest source of ear-piercing discomfort. Now that room feel is gone, the soundstage is more of a standard sphere shape around my head. 

Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase, though I'm starting to miss a warmer, thicker bass.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back