Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 10, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #706 of 1,431

Quote:

The second change is the tips. The complyfoams which came with the b2 did help slightly, but only slightly. I experimented with different tips and I managed to fit the small triple flanges that came with my wife's Meelectronics by adding a layer in between. Now they sit uncomfortably deep in my ear canals, but the bass feels stronger and somehow the tingly upper mids are less accentuated(does this make any sense??). I'm hoping I'll get used to the deep insertion soon.

Several DBA-02 users noticed improved SQ with triple flanges (didn't work for me). You might be able to improve the comfort of the triple flanges by cutting off the smallest flange.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #707 of 1,431
i've been using these for a few months now and I really like how they sound. I preferred the Complys much more than the silicone tips (more comfortable for long durations). the only downside is that... man my ears produce a lot of wax. so now the red foam is really... well never mind.

the problem is that stuff is getting down the sound tubes or whatever its called. I just bought the complys tx-100 wax guards (in addition to becoming super conscious about cleaning my ears) in order to avoid this problem in the future. anyway, whats the best way to clean the tubes? i don't want to damage anything.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #708 of 1,431
A little update...

Those triple flanges really saved my life. If it weren't for those, I would've sold them (couldn't return them since my daughter completely destroyed the box). With a little EQ and an el cheapo E6 on EQ2 I'm really enjoying these.

But I'm thinking I'm going at this all wrong. If I need to EQ and amp for a set to be usable then maybe I really don't like them......lol. I really want the clarity and detail of TWFK with the bass of a thick smooth dynamic. So the never ending search for the perfect pair continues. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #709 of 1,431
Comply P-series (grey, untrimmed) will cut down the extreme high freq's better than the Shure olives.
Deepest insertion possible, with a solid seal will also increase the bass response.

The B2's are extremely faithful to the source, so if you have heavily compressed files or a poor original, you're gonna be in trouble. The uber-clarity and high extension just make them all the more revealing. If one is 'sensitive' to highs, these are not the IEM's for you.

Cheers.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #710 of 1,431

Quote:
Comply P-series (grey, untrimmed) will cut down the extreme high freq's better than the Shure olives.
Deepest insertion possible, with a solid seal will also increase the bass response.

The B2's are extremely faithful to the source, so if you have heavily compressed files or a poor original, you're gonna be in trouble. The uber-clarity and high extension just make them all the more revealing. If one is 'sensitive' to highs, these are not the IEM's for you.

Cheers.

I also found that using the P-series comply has given a new life for my B2 and Atrio M8, they are deep, but isolate better, and so much more comfy than silicone..

I agree on the B2, forget about using it on less than 320k MP3's (especially 128k or below), 256k VBR is tolerable, but 320k would be minimum for MP3. If you can get your hand on the FLAC version of Hell Freezes Over (The Eagles), listen to Hotel California, especially the first 1:30 (before the vocal), guarantee will put a smile on your face, this shows how good B2 really is

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #711 of 1,431
+1 on Hotel California with the B2s.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #712 of 1,431
I'm looking at buying a new music player and I was just wondering how these sound with a player like the Cowon J3 or the HiFiMAN HM-601.  I know Cowons are well known for their sound quality, but my understanding is HiFiMAN players sound even better, but they need really good headphones to get the best sound out of them.  Are these IEMs good enough to get the best out of the HM-601?  Or should I just skip it and look at a Cowon?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #713 of 1,431
mad.gif
 Damn it, the drivers on one side of my B2s are going bad. One side is louder than the other. I'm going to have to RMA this, since I only got these for about 3 weeks. I'm kind of pissed that it is dying on me because I pretty much baby these like crazy and really love the way it sounds. Now I have to wait like a month to get it fix or a new pair. 
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #714 of 1,431

Quote:
I'm looking at buying a new music player and I was just wondering how these sound with a player like the Cowon J3 or the HiFiMAN HM-601.  I know Cowons are well known for their sound quality, but my understanding is HiFiMAN players sound even better, but they need really good headphones to get the best sound out of them.  Are these IEMs good enough to get the best out of the HM-601?  Or should I just skip it and look at a Cowon?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I've never tried the HiFiMAN player, but I do have the J3 / B2 combination and am very satisfied with the setup. I chose the J3 over the Hifiman due to the smaller dimensions and the much longer battery life and I certainly do not regret the decision.
I would guess that for pure sound quality the HM-601 would have the upper hand, but shouldn't really be the only thing to consider imo.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #715 of 1,431
I'm also using a J3 and am very happy with the pairing.  The battery life on the J3 is really just through the roof, the sound is great, and it's also a much more modern player; you get the benefits of browsing with a touch screen and all that.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #717 of 1,431

Quote:
Here's my review of the B2, if anyone's interested: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/10/brainwavz-b2-review/

Well, even though he probably has me on ignore, I have to say I basically agree w/ his write up and impressions.  I'm guessing a few like myself do a hard eq via deep insertion by comparison but I find dfkt's nuanced impressions of dynamics and the FM curve plus the characterization of the treble versus the CK10 and comparisons to the Eq5 to be spot on.  Probably the closest we've heard the same phone.  For the $110 I paid for them they are the real deal and little if anything else matches the technicalities and sound sig.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #718 of 1,431
This thing just rocks, full stop, I love it so much, in fact, I just bought GR07 too, to get some different sound signature and to listen to EDM with (they are renowned to be good with EDM) but straight out of the box, it sounded terrible, mind you I was using B2 for the last 9-10 months and I was 'expecting' it to be on par with B2 with better bass, I was wrong and I know I should not have had that expectation.

mids and treble, this thing absolutely rocks, bass not so much, though it is fast, solid, and good quality, so I came to a conclusion that if I need the same details and sparkle, with better bass, I should just go and buy UM Merlin

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #719 of 1,431

Quote:
This thing just rocks, full stop, I love it so much, in fact, I just bought GR07 too, to get some different sound signature and to listen to EDM with (they are renowned to be good with EDM) but straight out of the box, it sounded terrible, mind you I was using B2 for the last 9-10 months and I was 'expecting' it to be on par with B2 with better bass, I was wrong and I know I should not have had that expectation.

mids and treble, this thing absolutely rocks, bass not so much, though it is fast, solid, and good quality, so I came to a conclusion that if I need the same details and sparkle, with better bass, I should just go and buy UM Merlin

frown.gif
I miss my B2s. I have grown too attach to the sound signature.  I hope when my B2 get to MP4Nation they would just send me a replacement through Amazon instead of making me wait all the way from Hong Kong.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #720 of 1,431

Quote:
frown.gif
I miss my B2s. I have grown too attach to the sound signature.  I hope when my B2 get to MP4Nation they would just send me a replacement through Amazon instead of making me wait all the way from Hong Kong.

I can totally see why you miss it mate, well, hope you can get it back soon enough so you can enjoy it again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back