Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #586 of 1,431

Quote:
I use the Ety's tri-flange and insert very deep as well for maximum performance, isolation and comfort. Excellent earphones.

Not quite comfortable too me, mostly during long listening, I'm back to foam tips, I guess I lose a bit in the highs compared to Etys.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #587 of 1,431
here are my Brainwavz 
etysmile.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #589 of 1,431
So I got my Shure olives and they are more comfortable then the silicon tips and more durable then the comply tips, but not as comfortable as comply. Sound wise I think they are better then either by a bit(likely due to better fit). I am still getting a little harshness on certain letters on vocals(such as "T" and "S") This only happens on some songs and I found a decent solution. In the equalizer go to the last bar, set it to 6.9 kHz, set it to Narrow and lower it to -3 to -5. Go to the second to last bar set it to 4.1 kHz Narrow and a lesser amount like -1 to -3. Adjust to personal preference. These settings are on the Cowon J3. You might be able to do similar settings on other players.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #590 of 1,431
Just got my Brainwavz B2 ordered from MP4 nation and here's a quick comparison to my FA DBA-02. First impressions - very similar to if not exactly the same as the Fischer Audio DBA-02 with regards to its sound. I had the DBA-02 for over a year and decided to get the B2's after reading that they share the same sound sig. I do hope though that the problem of channel imbalance I had with the DBA doesnt come with the B2s. So how is the B2 different from the DBA-02?
Brand - quite obvious
Color - B2 - red and black; DBA-02 - blue with clear housing
Cord - same
Carrying pouch - DBA-02 - simple pouch with a covering flap; B2 - a more sturdy case with zipper
Accessories - DBA-02 - single flange tips + soft triple flange tips that i find useless
                       B2 - single flange tips (same as DBA-02) + red colored foam tips that i find to be of poor quality, comparing to the Comply tips; they have a sticky consistency and take so much time to retain their shape
With regards to which tips I prefer, I like using the small single flanged tip after trying out different kinds from my other IEMs. They offer me the best isolation if inserted really deep and the best clarity of sound reproduction from bass to trebel.

Conclusion: DBA-02 = B2 ; It appears that they may have come from the same OEM

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #591 of 1,431
Tried the Ety-s tri-flange but didnt work for me. I like using the small single flange to get a really deep insertion. I also use the same tips with my Ety ER4P. Was never a fan of tri-flanges

Quote:
I use the Ety's tri-flange and insert very deep as well for maximum performance, isolation and comfort. Excellent earphones.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #592 of 1,431

Quote:
Just got my Brainwavz B2 ordered from MP4 nation and here's a quick comparison to my FA DBA-02. First impressions - very similar to if not exactly the same as the Fischer Audio DBA-02 with regards to its sound. I had the DBA-02 for over a year and decided to get the B2's after reading that they share the same sound sig. I do hope though that the problem of channel imbalance I had with the DBA doesnt come with the B2s. So how is the B2 different from the DBA-02?
Brand - quite obvious
Color - B2 - red and black; DBA-02 - blue with clear housing
Cord - same
Carrying pouch - DBA-02 - simple pouch with a covering flap; B2 - a more sturdy case with zipper
Accessories - DBA-02 - single flange tips + soft triple flange tips that i find useless
                       B2 - single flange tips (same as DBA-02) + red colored foam tips that i find to be of poor quality, comparing to the Comply tips; they have a sticky consistency and take so much time to retain their shape
With regards to which tips I prefer, I like using the small single flanged tip after trying out different kinds from my other IEMs. They offer me the best isolation if inserted really deep and the best clarity of sound reproduction from bass to trebel.

Conclusion: DBA-02 = B2 ; It appears that they may have come from the same OEM

Just FYI: the red foam tips that come with the B2s are Comply T-100s.  I don't that comparing quality between 2 Comply Tips would be relevant as they both come from the same place.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #593 of 1,431
Just received these beauties in the mail today. All I can say is that these are the absolute best bang for the buck I've had yet. Got them for $129 and they can very easily compete with my ety ER4S & Westone UM3X. I'm floored.

The build quality looks a bit iffy, but the sound quality is absolutely fantastic. Amazing earphones for the price. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #594 of 1,431

Quote:

Just FYI: the red foam tips that come with the B2s are Comply T-100s.  I don't that comparing quality between 2 Comply Tips would be relevant as they both come from the same place.

Really strange because comparing them to the the Comply tips I've got (3 kinds), the ones from the B2 are really different in terms of consistency. I'm not fond of using them, anyways

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #595 of 1,431

Quote:
Really strange because comparing them to the the Comply tips I've got (3 kinds), the ones from the B2 are really different in terms of consistency. I'm not fond of using them, anyways

It could be the effect of the dye color chosen believe it or not.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #596 of 1,431
Build quality is solid.  Mine have survived a 50-foot drop & have been dragged on concrete sidewalks for a few blocks, they're still going strong.  Unintentional of course, but I was glad to find them unphased.  

Today I switched back to the stock single flange after using the comply tips exclusively for a month.  The difference is more stark than quick A/Bs reveal, everything sounds more nuanced and delicate, treble is sweet and details, especially the spatial details, are better presented.  The reduction in isolation, and consequently the reduction in bass presence, is the only problem with ditching complys.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #597 of 1,431

Quote:
Build quality is solid.  Mine have survived a 50-foot drop & have been dragged on concrete sidewalks for a few blocks, they're still going strong.  Unintentional of course, but I was glad to find them unphased.  

Today I switched back to the stock single flange after using the comply tips exclusively for a month.  The difference is more stark than quick A/Bs reveal, everything sounds more nuanced and delicate, treble is sweet and details, especially the spatial details, are better presented.  The reduction in isolation, and consequently the reduction in bass presence, is the only problem with ditching complys.

Good to know they survived. I wasn't trying to imply that they were not durable, just that they don't feel like it. Of course, the FS Atrios feel cheap too, but they've proven to be pretty durable themselves. 

I'm genuinely really excited about the B2s. I've always wanted something that shared the same general sound sig with my ER4s, but with an over-the-ear design. I think these might fit the bill. :)

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #598 of 1,431

Quote:
Good to know they survived. I wasn't trying to imply that they were not durable, just that they don't feel like it. Of course, the FS Atrios feel cheap too, but they've proven to be pretty durable themselves. 

I'm genuinely really excited about the B2s. I've always wanted something that shared the same general sound sig with my ER4s, but with an over-the-ear design. I think these might fit the bill. :)

Yeah, I have to agree with you, that the B2s don't feel durable :p  I'm not too confident with the straight cable either.  The cable is spot on though :)

As for the sound, I have to agree it's very similar to the HF2s (I don't have ERs :frowning2: ).  Except the HFs had better mids ,but B2s better lows in my opinion.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #599 of 1,431
So I got the B2 again today and my first pair must've been defective. The new ones don't have the harsh treble the first pair had and I can actually listen to music for long periods of time. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #600 of 1,431

Quote:
So I got the B2 again today and my first pair must've been defective. The new ones don't have the harsh treble the first pair had and I can actually listen to music for long periods of time. 
biggrin.gif

Congrats. Glad these are better.

As to the included red Comply's... yeah, they just don't work for me. The feel, consistency seems a bit different than grey or black Comply's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back