Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #1,036 of 1,431
Quote:
So... these things have made me discover the clarity and resolution freak in me. My more colored FXT-90's and SR-60i's, though more sonorous and thick in note, just can't satisfy the clean, all-encompassing, balanced  and technical sound that the B2's sing with my music. I didn't expect myself to like the analytical sound signature, but boy was I wrong.

Agree, I love my HJE 900 and MS1i but the B2 its the real deal in terms of clarity and doesnt seem to be lacking anything unless you a/b with the some bass monsters like the Eterna.
Quote:

Analytical tends to focus more on the mids and highs.  I feel these don't focus on the mids enough (a lot of people will disagree with me).  I find these walk the line of analytical, but aren't past it yet.  

I will dissagree mostly because I think that the mids are very prominent and veil free, and the bass and high just sounds right.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,037 of 1,431
Quote:
Agree, I love my HJE 900 and MS1i but the B2 its the real deal in terms of clarity and doesnt seem to be lacking anything unless you a/b with the some bass monsters like the Eterna.
I will dissagree mostly because I think that the mids are very prominent and veil free, and the bass and high just sounds right.

I never said anything about a veil...  The bass and highs do sound right for sure.  I don't categorize them as analytical though.  Analytical phones tend to have a small spike in the high mids/low highs that boost midrange and vocals a bit as well as having a bigger emphasis on the highs.  The B2 don't have that for me.  

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #1,039 of 1,431
Quote:
What I was trying to say its that the B2 to my ears are mid centric phones, the mids are the more prominent, then the highs and at very last the bass.

That's fine, we just hear differently.  

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #1,040 of 1,431
Quote:

That's fine, we just hear differently.  

Glad be can agree on that! 
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,041 of 1,431
Quote:
I never said anything about a veil...  The bass and highs do sound right for sure.  I don't categorize them as analytical though.  Analytical phones tend to have a small spike in the high mids/low highs that boost midrange and vocals a bit as well as having a bigger emphasis on the highs.  The B2 don't have that for me.  

http://rinchoi.blogspot.pt/2012/07/brainwavz-b2.html
They have a considerable peak at 10kHz.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #1,042 of 1,431
Frankly, I wouldn't say that analytical sound comes from peaks and spikes in the mids or the highs. Analytical iem is any iem with thin and clean notes and great treble extension. For instance, the ety er-4s is more balanced than the b2 but if it isn't analytical I don't know what is. So, being balanced and neutral isn't a different sound signature than analytical in some occasions and the b2 is exactly that - you just can't say that something with that amount of microdetail and overall cold sound isn't analytical IMO.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #1,043 of 1,431
Quote:
Frankly, I wouldn't say that analytical sound comes from peaks and spikes in the mids or the highs. Analytical iem is any iem with thin and clean notes and great treble extension. For instance, the ety er-4s is more balanced than the b2 but if it isn't analytical I don't know what is. So, being balanced and neutral isn't a different sound signature than analytical in some occasions and the b2 is exactly that - you just can't say that something with that amount of microdetail and overall cold sound isn't analytical IMO.

I agree with what you said, regarding analytical being a quality (revealing small details and having clean fast notes), but usually IEMs that are analytical also have a bright sound sometimes with treble spikes, probably due to analytical IEMs using balanced armatures which move little air. So people correlate analytical with treble-hyped, because even though an analytical IEM doesn't need to be bright, it often is.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #1,044 of 1,431
Tinyman mentioned elsewhere about the Sensaphonic test and I had a great time tip rolling to test how sealed my B2's were. It was an illuminating exercise. B2's properly sealed deliver much more bass. Decent low notes. Highs are not as bright as I first believed. It remains more detailed than others, such as CKM500. Sensaphonics test compelled me to reevaluate all my IEMs and associated tips.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #1,045 of 1,431
Quote:

Spike in the high mids or low highs was my exact wording.  Normally around the 2-3k range.  10k spike does add to analytical, but look at the dip in the 2-4k range...  That graph really doesn't help anyone who claims that the B2 is analytical as it shows it having a much warmer, V-shape to it :p  

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,046 of 1,431
Spike in the high mids or low highs was my exact wording.  Normally around the 2-3k range.  10k spike does add to analytical, but look at the dip in the 2-4k range...  That graph really doesn't help anyone who claims that the B2 is analytical as it shows it having a much warmer, V-shape to it :p  
Well, I have b2, re-0 and ety er-4s and I would call all of them analytical. I will be glad to hear what iem you think is analytical according to your theory.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #1,047 of 1,431
Quote:
Well, I have b2, re-0 and ety er-4s and I would call all of them analytical. I will be glad to hear what iem you think is analytical according to your theory.

Quote:

I was expecting you to say to say that. That's why, in accordance to what i said earlier, to me being analytical isn't just a frequency response characteristic. It just so happens that analytical IEMs usually have bright sound signatures. Frequency response tells me very little about the ability of a transducer to reveal details, something like a square wave response would be much better to give me an idea of analytical character. Like kova4a I also have the B2 and the RE-0 and find them both analytical, the B2 more so than the RE-0. The Sennheiser HD800 has a very linear FR response graph and yet it's regarded as being completely analytical.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,048 of 1,431
Analytical is a funny classification, hope nobody dares to label the ER4S or ER6 into that, they have no spike in the midhighs, just a small bump of 1db there to the ear and treble emphasis is no more than the bass given a 2nd bend fit. If anything those are midcentric by their nature of being flat. ER4B would be "analytical" though. 

The B2s are a bit v-shaped if being strict into classifying it into these labels. The treble evens out a lot more tips though, you have to consider that the stock tips which it was measured with are one of the brightest tips you can use with it. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,049 of 1,431
You;re just cracking me up. The ety er4s is just the epytomy of analytical sound. I don't know how all those spikes in the mids and the highs got in your brain and what made you think that an iem has to have peaks in the mids and the highs to be analytical. Frankly, if the b2 is midcentric then my Vsonic GR02 Bass is analytical - its mids are laid back, the highs are extended and somewhat agressive, the treble extension is really good - it has to be analytical.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,050 of 1,431
emmmmm agreed er4s are basically the bassline for what i would consider analytical.   But i just dont find the B2's even close in this regard to my pfe let alone the ER4S sure the B2 are revealing but not to the extent i thought they would be (IMO), i just find the sound out them weird.  Its something about the low mids to bass region that just doesn't sound right to me cant quite put my finger on it though.  (Now im not calling them junk or anything, just not to my taste).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back