Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 14, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #781 of 1,431
Raw measurements no, compensations yes, some have better cases than others, I feel GE is even worse than IF here. To top it off GE doesn't even show their raw data. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #782 of 1,431
I feel the same about GE, but some okay measurement is better than none...

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #783 of 1,431
Quote:

Not quite.

Quote:

I didn't hear the B2s to sound anything like that at all :p  LOL.  I'll still trust the graph though :p

Different graphs of the same unit will look different depending on weighting (normalizations) tips, measuring equipment, etc. and a frequency graph doesn't give all the observable characteristics. Great tool but not the final say. That curve may actually sound pretty flat in ear depending on measurement conditions. I thought them VG, a bit lean overall due to a little extra top with a roll at the very bottom but tip rolling can make them very good and linear over most of their range. That graph doesn't present the amount of information that they can bring to the party.

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #784 of 1,431
Rin is going to measure them and compensate them with the average human HRTF, that should truly tell you how flat it is. 

The point of of view is skewed on that graph, but it's actually pretty close to flat keeping Headphone-Related-Transfers (HRTF) in mind. But the more concise graph will come soon. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #785 of 1,431
Quote:

Different graphs of the same unit will look different depending on weighting (normalizations) tips, measuring equipment, etc. and a frequency graph doesn't give all the observable characteristics. Great tool but not the final say. That curve may actually sound pretty flat in ear depending on measurement conditions. I thought them VG, a bit lean overall due to a little extra top with a roll at the very bottom but tip rolling can make them very good and linear over most of their range. That graph doesn't present the amount of information that they can bring to the party.

This is a good point.  Too many variables in this party.  On another note, does anyone have luck with any triple flanges for the B2's?

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #786 of 1,431
Did anyone try Etymotic 74ohm adapter on B2 to see there's any benefit/changes?

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #787 of 1,431
Resistor adapters change the crossover point of the high frequency driver on multi ways. Not a good idea. If it works for you, either the engineers got it wrong in the 1st place or you prefer wrong by their standards. In fact, there's greater risk of damage to a dedicated high frequency driver if it isn't able to accommodate lower registers. It will also see about 3 times the general energy in music as it did before at the same listening volumes so even if it can accommodate the lower register, it may still be more prone to failure. Even if safe, you've created a lot more overlap with the driver below it. Dedicated high frequency drivers accomplish that by smaller size and lower moving mass along with some other things. Means they are more fragile and that their fundamental resonance frequency is much higher and more likely to be excited by dropping the crossover frequency. Not desirable.

Say you have a 32 ohm IEM multi way earphone and add a 32 ohm resistor. If the tweeter was designed to crossover a 4khz, it will now theoretically cross over at 2khz as it doesn't matter where the resistance is in circuit when choosing your high pass capacitor value. The circuit sees them as all in series, resistor, capacitor and driver so that the impedance of the circuit is now 64 ohms.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #790 of 1,431
On joker's multi-review thread, some preferred tips for 3mm nozzles are Sony hybrids. Have you tried the hybrids on B2?

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #795 of 1,431
28 June, isn't it? I thought you were told that they'd have stock in the next few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back