BQEYZ in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #616 of 1,701
Spring 1 arrived this weekend for me just as Autumn has arrived. First impressions:
1) smaller than I thought not tiny though, nearly the same shape as my V90's. Nozzle is larger in diameter than V90, so small ears might find that uncomfortable.
2) It has a warm and airy sound-helps add depth and width so it doesn't sound so closed in. Definitely a signature I like, I don't have too many that have a natural airy sound and I need to compare to the **** (which I find sounds a bit un-natural with certain songs.)
3) Ever slight mid-bass bleed (really is a slight nit-pick) otherwise bass is nicely textured, that is my only con at the moment but that also adds to the warmth. I need more time, but a second hit for me with BQEYZ (only other one I own is the KC2). KC2 nit pick was the short nozzle and bulky shell that forced me to go up a size in tips and use L instead of M.
4) Compared to V90, some may or may not find the extra 5-7Khz energy in the V90 too much and this is where the Spring 1 has dialed it back a bit to take the edge off.

Going to take it mobile this week and see how it works on HTC10.
Funny, I try to get life out of the Spring 1 with the help of the audioquest dragonfly dac/amp attached to my iPhone...also tried with and without JVC Spiral Dots (or wide-bore stock tips).

1. Bass is not textured at all to my ears. It is plump, wooly, and dominates the sound signature. Could be much tighter and more detailed. Bleeds all over the place like headwound Harry.
2. Nothing airy for me either...the sound is heavy, somewhat lifeless, and enclosed. I'd appreciate more dynamics. It is the equivalent to an overloaded plane that tries to take off -- or a heavily breathing runner.
3. I had to revive myself with the iBasso IT01 single DD to get some naturalness in sound.

Am I doing something wrong? I even gave it 100 hr burn-in. Will have to attach a bigger amp. On the positive side, it is much better than the KBEAR hi7, which sounds as dead as a doornail...with the exception of two shrill peaks at 2 and 4 kHz.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #617 of 1,701
Funny, I try to get life out of the Spring 1 with the help of the audioquest dragonfly dac/amp attached to my iPhone...also tried with and without JVC Spiral Dots (or wide-bore stock tips).

1. Bass is not textured at all to my ears. It is plump, wooly, and dominates the sound signature. Could be much tighter and more detailed. Bleeds all over the place like headwound Harry.
2. Nothing airy for me either...the sound is heavy, somewhat lifeless, and enclosed. I'd appreciate more dynamics. It is the equivalent to an overloaded plane that tries to take off -- or a heavily breathing runner.
3. I had to revive myself with the iBasso IT01 single DD to get some naturalness in sound.

Am I doing something wrong? I even gave it 100 hr burn-in. Will have to attach a bigger amp. On the positive side, it is much better than the KBEAR hi7, which sounds as dead as a doornail...with the exception of two shrill peaks at 2 and 4 kHz.

I didn't like the JVC Spiral Dots with them. I ended up settling on a pair of inexpensive ($1.49 for three pair I think?) hybrids I had sitting around from AliExpress. I'll do some comparisons with the "Atmosphere" and "Reference" medium tips BQEYZ ships the Spring 1 with and report back.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #618 of 1,701
I didn't like the JVC Spiral Dots with them. I ended up settling on a pair of inexpensive ($1.49 for three pair I think?) hybrids I had sitting around from AliExpress. I'll do some comparisons with the "Atmosphere" and "Reference" medium tips BQEYZ ships the Spring 1 with and report back.

Following up, i'd say this: included "Reference" tips are good, included "Atmosphere" tips make the bass too boomy for my tastes, and JVC Spiral Dots make the bass indistinct, kind of smeared (which is weird, can't say I've experienced that before with Spiral Dots, but I've found there is no such thing as panacea ear tips).

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #619 of 1,701
Following up, i'd say this: included "Reference" tips are good, included "Atmosphere" tips make the bass too boomy for my tastes, and JVC Spiral Dots make the bass indistinct, kind of smeared (which is weird, can't say I've experienced that before with Spiral Dots, but I've found there is no such thing as panacea ear tips).
I clearly have to tip roll more.

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #620 of 1,701
For now I am using the Nicehck M6/P3 wide bores for now, need to try some more (I admit now I did not even try stock tips yet, I do that in case I decide to sell them from now on). They are more bass heavy than I expected as well, I should compare to the IT01 and see if I have the same thoughts. The bass is not like the M6 with stock nozzles, the bass that you described in the spring 1 matches the M6 stock bass to me.

I remember the IT01 digging deeper without the same midbass punch. I definitely agree there is some mid-bass bleed, I don't find it horrendous though.

They are not as lively as the V90, but I think with the slightly scooped mid treble it accentuates the upper treble more without sounding Zs6 too much and that I think gives it more "air" for me.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #621 of 1,701

Weird. Hard to believe we're listening to the same earphones. Not how I hear the bass at all. Opposite, almost. For example, I double-checked after your post with Daft Punk's "Fragments of Time." At around the 2:45 mark there's a solo break and the bassist gets pretty nimble. On sets with inferior bass I hear all the notes bleed and mush together, but on the Spring1 it comes through nice and clear and clean. I wonder if there's a problem with your venting or something...

Oct 2, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #622 of 1,701
20191002_130249.jpg

Finally! The BQEYZ Spring 1 are landed on my table. They are taking much more longer than my other iems, i dunno why, but finally they are here. Open them up, bigger packaging than usual BQEYZ,
they give us carrying case now and set of eartips and the awesome cable! Definitely not cheapo cable, very nice and sturdy.
Alright time for first impression out of the box, I skipped the default tips as usual put in Spiral dot as my best bet.. First thing that i noticed is DETAILS. OMG what a detailed IEM,
that micro details that rarely come from chifi IEMs, even on similar price range. Second one is about SMOOTHNESS, which have been BQEYZ trademark ever since.
But 1 thing I straight away noticing are mid bass bleed a little and a bit loose control, blurry texture on sub bass and mid bass. Not that bad but I expect better ones for this kind of price range.

I stopped listening, and tried other eartips, changing from Spiral Dot to Radius Deep mount (yeah they are meant to use with deeper insertion since the nozzle is quite long), highs more lively,
mid bass tighter a bit but bigger, and tried Final Audio E eartips, still have that a little boomy on mid bass.
Then I picked up the default eartips, they give us 2 types : Reference and Atmosphere, I was thinking that reference is their reference eartips or suggeted ones, while atmosphere is for soundstage maybe.
With reference default tips, I need to go deeper with insertion and WOW signature has changed, They are much more balance now, Bass isnt boomy anymore, mids become more forward (they are already forward with
previous eartips) and highs still very smooth yet very details. For short session, I feel reference tips are best, and made shell nicely sit on ear. The atmosphere eartips also as i expected from the name,
giving more space and soundstage, bass a little bit bigger with this eartips

Lets go breakdown this sound with reference tips, but remember, this is just early impressions, from out of the box (Im going to burn them in later) on short session of listening.

Sound Signature
Sound signature on Spring 1 I will call them balance, a semi harman target with lesser sub bass and not so emphasize high mids. they have warm and lush signature, not tiring at all, very smooth
with touch of air. I like this kind of signature, just like my endgame M7 or recently hype BL-03. They have similarity in signature.

*edit : they are a little bit bassy, especially if using certain eartips and in lower volume.

Bass
Bass area maybe is the one that dont excell with Spring 1. Don't get wrong, its not that bad, only its not the part where Spring 1 is shining. Texture is good but not great, a bit blurry. Still
much better than chifi on budget area, like Kanas Pro. Decay is standard, not too slow but not as fast like TFZ no 3. Using big 13mm DD maybe decay can be slower, but they do have rumbles and air.
Sub bass pretty deep, but have roll off from 30 hz below but still audible just not easy to heard, mid bass with wrong tips can be boomy and loose, be careful on choosing tips. Have a slight mid bass bleed but just a little, not harmful, not affecting clearness of mids area at all, just give warm feeling, *edit : with bassy mix tracks, mid bass can be too much. Hopefully with burn in Bass can be better, tighter and lose the bleeds.

Mids
Welcome to the Spring! very musical, a lot of flowers and trees, layering, with excellent details here. Mids are thick, very clear, forward yet never shouty, all in buttery smooth presentation.
Micro details that better than competitors come along with nice separation. Male vocals sounds great, while female vocal also very nice, never too shouty. Mids Clarity on par with Kanas Pro level

Highs
Very smooth, sparkles with detailed yet very smooth, never get sibilance or harsh or striking even on high volumes. Not sure if piezo electric drivers will be better after burn in process but
they are already very smooth here.

Soundstage
Soundstage are quite wide, not the widest but definitely above average, with some air there

Imaging
Very great imaging, just like previous BQEYZ, very accurate. One of their pros

Timbre
Very natural timbre even though using multidriver. transition is smooth, like coming from 1 single DD, very natural timbre, every instrument also rendered naturally

Separation
Separation is good, above average but good multi BA drivers can separate instruments more

Details
One of the best in their price range or maybe can be compete with higher price IEMs. I wont call them detail monster though because they are very smooth, perhaps Detail Guru suits them more.
Spring 1 greatest ability maybe is in detail segment.

Well this iem definitely are eartips dependant iem, so try to tip rolling first. I have yet to burn in this, hopefully they are getting better especially in bass segments.
This new Spring 1 is very capable IEM, and my initial impressions are very good

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #624 of 1,701
Another photo with no label to tell me what it is :frowning2: Why is this becoming so common?

sorry my writing is gone, will edit later. ITs the Spring 1

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #625 of 1,701
For now I am using the Nicehck M6/P3 wide bores for now, need to try some more (I admit now I did not even try stock tips yet, I do that in case I decide to sell them from now on). They are more bass heavy than I expected as well, I should compare to the IT01 and see if I have the same thoughts. The bass is not like the M6 with stock nozzles, the bass that you described in the spring 1 matches the M6 stock bass to me.

I remember the IT01 digging deeper without the same midbass punch. I definitely agree there is some mid-bass bleed, I don't find it horrendous though.

They are not as lively as the V90, but I think with the slightly scooped mid treble it accentuates the upper treble more without sounding Zs6 too much and that I think gives it more "air" for me.
Good advice! The low-cut wide-bores of the M6 fix the bass and soundstage. Now the Spring 1 sound quite appealing: definitely airy and not boomy anymore. Bass is still a bit on the slow (but not thick) end. The treble is super sweet....eureka, they got it right, finally. The sound is growing very fast on me.

The question is: where should Joe Blow get such tips from? I got mine from the Verboten XX that features the same accessories as the M6. Can't buy these.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #626 of 1,701
Good advice! The low-cut wide-bores of the M6 fix the bass and soundstage. Now the Spring 1 sound quite appealing: definitely airy and not boomy anymore. Bass is still a bit on the slow (but not thick) end. The treble is super sweet....eureka, they got it right, finally. The sound is growing very fast on me.

The question is: where should Joe Blow get such tips from? I got mine from the Verboten XX that features the same accessories as the M6. Can't buy these.

I think the low-cut widebores are probably the most important part, I swap them on and off IEMs that benefit from some treble lift and have plenty of bass. I have used these M6/P3 tips on the IT01, M6, and now these. Where to buy more I would also like to know. Since my P3's don't get used the tips get a workout elsewhere. I put the reference tips on just now and those take away some of the lower bass and bring the whole level down so they don't sound as boomy. While they are not as thick like that, I am not sure I like it yet. I get what you are saying about the bass though, it is a very thick type that could use some more definition/precision but I also agree with @DynamicEars on these and the bass-better than most chifi. The bass is probably it's biggest weakness, but its not M6 bad. It is amazing these particular ones change so drastically with firm/less firm tips in the bass region. The midrange is BQEYZ smooth not as edgy. The presence region sits halfway between typical scooped out chifi like C12/ZSX/ZSN/ES4 and the more energetic ZS10pro/V90/V80 types not hint of sibilance as a result.

I think BQEYZ was a little scared to let the piezo shine a little more, I boosted the tippy top a bit to see if they would sound even more airy without sounding too artificial, and it does give cymbals more shimmer without getting messy. I like above >10khz to sit in line with 1khz if not just above that level-(a preference thing not an absolute).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #627 of 1,701
You are right, The most important key in spring 1 is the eartips. I will post more detailed tips about eartips. I managed to get spiral dot sounds very good with spring 1, without bloated bass and bass become somehow tighter, textures are more defined now, with sub bass that more audible now until bottom end.

There is nothing wrong with the drivers, there is nothing nothing wrong with the tuning, they did great. Its all caused by the NOZZLE.

Will post up later with some photos.

About piezo thingy, after i listen that way above, they are more open buth still very safe. For me they just at right amount. Maybe treble lovers will want a bit north but for me no, they already on decent level in quantity, and great in quality wise

Oct 2, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #628 of 1,701
I think the low-cut widebores are probably the most important part, I swap them on and off IEMs that benefit from some treble lift and have plenty of bass. I have used these M6/P3 tips on the IT01, M6, and now these. Where to buy more I would also like to know. Since my P3's don't get used the tips get a workout elsewhere. I put the reference tips on just now and those take away some of the lower bass and bring the whole level down so they don't sound as boomy. While they are not as thick like that, I am not sure I like it yet. I get what you are saying about the bass though, it is a very thick type that could use some more definition/precision but I also agree with @DynamicEars on these and the bass-better than most chifi. The bass is probably it's biggest weakness, but its not M6 bad. It is amazing these particular ones change so drastically with firm/less firm tips in the bass region. The midrange is BQEYZ smooth not as edgy. The presence region sits halfway between typical scooped out chifi like C12/ZSX/ZSN/ES4 and the more energetic ZS10pro/V90/V80 types not hint of sibilance as a result.

I think BQEYZ was a little scared to let the piezo shine a little more, I boosted the tippy top a bit to see if they would sound even more airy without sounding too artificial, and it does give cymbals more shimmer without getting messy. I like above >10khz to sit in line with 1khz if not just above that level-(a preference thing not an absolute).

I use the M6-type low-cut wide-bores on the iBasso IT01...and compared with JVC Spiral Dots: no difference found in this model.

The piezo works quite nicely in the Spring 1. I wished the bass was a tad less.

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #629 of 1,701
I use the M6-type low-cut wide-bores on the iBasso IT01...and compared with JVC Spiral Dots: no difference found in this model.

The piezo works quite nicely in the Spring 1. I wished the bass was a tad less.

I agree that bass portion here are bigger than the rest, a bit imbalance but i figure out a simple mod. Going to post later with pics

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #630 of 1,701

Weird. Hard to believe we're listening to the same earphones. Not how I hear the bass at all. Opposite, almost. For example, I double-checked after your post with Daft Punk's "Fragments of Time." At around the 2:45 mark there's a solo break and the bassist gets pretty nimble. On sets with inferior bass I hear all the notes bleed and mush together, but on the Spring1 it comes through nice and clear and clean. I wonder if there's a problem with your venting or something...

Eartips Trick for BQEYZ Spring 1

Well, I've tried to figure out what happened with Spring 1 boomy, bloated mid bass that I heard with my usual preference eartips like JVC spiral dot, Final Audio E, or any other fave tips.
Few users also reported that experience boomy bass on Spring 1. So I spent my night with eartips rolling through my eartips collection. I found the stock reference one is good but I can't get good fit.

Then I realized that there is something with the NOZZLE. the nozzle on Spring 1 is long, longer than average IEM, thus in sense will act as longer resonance tube and with additional eartips it even longer.
This will made bass part especially resonance much more, made the bass bloated or boomy.

No wonder few users experienced very boomy bass part, depends on eartips used on the Spring 1. Reference tips is good since it sit well without any extra lips (dont make more resonance tube), but in my case i cant get decent seal.

This is FR graph by out friend @Wiljen, all credits going to him :
RvsA spring 1.jpg
As seen there Bass part are bloated because of that extra resonance.

So i was thinking how to get rid that, and short experimental was coming great. All you have to do is just PUSH the EARTIPS all the way down, past the nozzle attachment to shell a bit, so it will leave no extra lips on the nozzle. The edge of the eartips should be on same level with nozzle end, dont overlap at all. This way, we can still got decent seal, with your favourite eartips.
Please be noted :

1. Use wide bore eartips, because small bore will made bass still a little bit bloated, spiral dot will be fine but the dot effect is useless (anyway theyare already smooth on treble), or use Auvio,
or any wide bore tips
2. You just need to get decent seal, so dont worry about characteristic of the eartips, it wont affect the sound as there will be no resonance on eartips, even foam also will do good.

Here the picture for reference, spiral dot on pics :
spring 1 eartips 1.jpg spring 1 eartips 2.jpg

Alternatively, you can cut foam eartips (cheapo one will do) and put in on same level on edge (dont overlap the nozzle edge)

1. Cut the foam a little bit
20191003_125219_HDR~2.jpg

2. cut on the edge of inner eartips tube (the plastic) so we can make a way to push down
20191003_125352_HDR~2.jpg

3. It will be looked like this, dont overlap it remember, make flat surface, same level between eartips and nozzle end. (it more confortable than the look trust me)
20191003_130101~2.jpg

*edit : spiral dot have more air and perceive bigger soundstage than foam.

After that try to listen to your Spring 1 again, sound signature will be much more balanced, no more bloated bass, texture of the bass will be heard more, sub bass will be more audible (even though there is still some mid bass bleed, just a little) and because of not bloated, decay is faster, sounds tighter. This way mids also very clear, and highs are directly to your ear made them more lively. Normally this kind placement will made bass very light on other iems.

For me roughly now they will be sound like this :
BQEYZ Spring 1 after pushed down eartips v3.jpg

Remember it is an edited version of FR from BQEYZ, but i roughly hear the bass level like this, just want to show you the bass level after this simple mods.

After this simple mod, suddenly Spring is coming. Enjoy everyone, please report and give a feedback about this. Cheers!

Attachments

• BQEYZ Spring 1 after pushed down eartips.jpg
    BQEYZ Spring 1 after pushed down eartips.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 0
  • BQEYZ SPring 1 FR.jpg
    BQEYZ SPring 1 FR.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 0
  • BQEYZ Spring 1 after pushed down eartips v2.jpg
    BQEYZ Spring 1 after pushed down eartips v2.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread