BQEYZ in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #631 of 1,701
Eartips Trick for BQEYZ Spring 1

Well, I've tried to figure out what happened with Spring 1 boomy, bloated mid bass that I heard with my usual preference eartips like JVC spiral dot, Final Audio E, or any other fave tips.
Few users also reported that experience boomy bass on Spring 1. So I spent my night with eartips rolling through my eartips collection. I found the stock reference one is good but I can't get good fit.

Then I realized that there is something with the NOZZLE. the nozzle on Spring 1 is long, longer than average IEM, thus in sense will act as longer resonance tube and with additional eartips it even longer.
This will made bass part especially resonance much more, made the bass bloated or boomy.

No wonder few users experienced very boomy bass part, depends on eartips used on the Spring 1. Reference tips is good since it sit well without any extra lips (dont make more resonance tube), but in my case i cant get decent seal.

This is FR graph by out friend @Wiljen, all credits going to him :

As seen there Bass part are bloated because of that extra resonance.

So i was thinking how to get rid that, and short experimental was coming great. All you have to do is just PUSH the EARTIPS all the way down, past the nozzle attachment to shell a bit, so it will leave no extra lips on the nozzle. The edge of the eartips should be on same level with nozzle end, dont overlap at all. This way, we can still got decent seal, with your favourite eartips.
Please be noted :

1. Use wide bore eartips, because small bore will made bass still a little bit bloated, spiral dot will be fine but the dot effect is useless (anyway theyare already smooth on treble), or use Auvio,
or any wide bore tips
2. You just need to get decent seal, so dont worry about characteristic of the eartips, it wont affect the sound as there will be no resonance on eartips, even foam also will do good.

Here the picture for reference, spiral dot on pics :

Alternatively, you can cut foam eartips (cheapo one will do) and put in on same level on edge (dont overlap the nozzle edge)

1. Cut the foam a little bit

2. cut on the edge of inner eartips tube (the plastic) so we can make a way to push down

3. It will be looked like this, dont overlap it remember, make flat surface, same level between eartips and nozzle end. (it more confortable than the look trust me)

*edit : spiral dot have more air and perceive bigger soundstage than foam.

After that try to listen to your Spring 1 again, sound signature will be much more balanced, no more bloated bass, texture of the bass will be heard more, sub bass will be more audible (even though there is still some mid bass bleed, just a little) and because of not bloated, decay is faster, sounds tighter. This way mids also very clear, and highs are directly to your ear made them more lively. Normally this kind placement will made bass very light on other iems.

For me roughly now they will be sound like this :

Remember it is an edited version of FR from BQEYZ, but i roughly hear the bass level like this, just want to show you the bass level after this simple mods.

After this simple mod, suddenly Spring is coming. Enjoy everyone, please report and give a feedback about this. Cheers!

IMG_20191003_143530.jpg
I didn't try your method but just from tip rolling yes there is noticeable difference in bass response. I tried on the left wide bore Tenmark Whirlwind Turbo and on the right Symbio w peel. With Tenmark bass is more controlled and with Symbio is a bit more noticeable but I get better seal with Symbio and I don't mind healthy amount of bass in my music.
With Spring 1 bass is not the problem. The way I see it, it's recessed highs makes the bass sound boomy and all over the place. I just had to add few dB in treble region to make it sound more balanced.
Screenshot_20191003_145501_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg
Granted this setting introduce some and just a bit harshness to some songs (rare songs I tried so far) but IMO much more enjoyable sound signature. I'll tweak it further later down the road.

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #632 of 1,701

I didn't try your method but just from tip rolling yes there is noticeable difference in bass response. I tried on the left wide bore Tenmark Whirlwind Turbo and on the right Symbio w peel. With Tenmark bass is more controlled and with Symbio is a bit more noticeable but I get better seal with Symbio and I don't mind healthy amount of bass in my music.
With Spring 1 bass is not the problem. The way I see it, it's recessed highs makes the bass sound boomy and all over the place. I just had to add few dB in treble region to make it sound more balanced.

Granted this setting introduce some and just a bit harshness to some songs (rare songs I tried so far) but IMO much more enjoyable sound signature. I'll tweak it further later down the road.

If you dont mind the bass then OK for you, for me i prefer more balance and forwarded mids, so with that trick, bass is more lean and i can crank up the volume, i got forwarded mids and highs also not recessed because they are more balance. I was an EQ guy but recently i just like to listen straight away since EQ in cut off a little bit of resolution and extension in my case.

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #633 of 1,701

Well, I've tried to figure out what happened with Spring 1 boomy, bloated mid bass that I heard with my usual preference eartips like JVC spiral dot, Final Audio E, or any other fave tips.
Few users also reported that experience boomy bass on Spring 1. So I spent my night with eartips rolling through my eartips collection. I found the stock reference one is good but I can't get good fit.

Then I realized that there is something with the NOZZLE. the nozzle on Spring 1 is long, longer than average IEM, thus in sense will act as longer resonance tube and with additional eartips it even longer.
This will made bass part especially resonance much more, made the bass bloated or boomy.

No wonder few users experienced very boomy bass part, depends on eartips used on the Spring 1. Reference tips is good since it sit well without any extra lips (dont make more resonance tube), but in my case i cant get decent seal.

So i was thinking how to get rid that, and short experimental was coming great. All you have to do is just PUSH the EARTIPS all the way down, past the nozzle attachment to shell a bit, so it will leave no extra lips on the nozzle. The edge of the eartips should be on same level with nozzle end, dont overlap at all. This way, we can still got decent seal, with your favourite eartips.
Please be noted :

1. Use wide bore eartips, because small bore will made bass still a little bit bloated, spiral dot will be fine but the dot effect is useless (anyway theyare already smooth on treble), or use Auvio,
or any wide bore tips
2. You just need to get decent seal, so dont worry about characteristic of the eartips, it wont affect the sound as there will be no resonance on eartips, even foam also will do good.

Alternatively, you can cut foam eartips (cheapo one will do) and put in on same level on edge (dont overlap the nozzle edge)

2. cut on the edge of inner eartips tube (the plastic) so we can make a way to push down

3. It will be looked like this, dont overlap it remember, make flat surface, same level between eartips and nozzle end. (it more confortable than the look trust me)

After that try to listen to your Spring 1 again, sound signature will be much more balanced, no more bloated bass, texture of the bass will be heard more, sub bass will be more audible (even though there is still some mid bass bleed, just a little) and because of not bloated, decay is faster, sounds tighter. This way mids also very clear, and highs are directly to your ear made them more lively. Normally this kind placement will made bass very light on other iems.

Remember it is an edited version of FR from BQEYZ, but i roughly hear the bass level like this, just want to show you the bass level after this simple mods.

After this simple mod, suddenly Spring is coming. Enjoy everyone, please report and give a feedback about this. Cheers!
That’s a great idea. I also concur that getting the nozzle closer to your eardrum is key to hearing the very articulate nuances of this iem. If you want to hear what this thing is capable of, focus your mind on the mids, and adjust the volume to where that takes the focus and let everything else drop to the sides. I call it, third eye listening. This thing sounds great at kinda loud volume. Details really come out.

Oct 3, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #634 of 1,701
That’s a great idea. I also concur that getting the nozzle closer to your eardrum is key to hearing the very articulate nuances of this iem. If you want to hear what this thing is capable of, focus your mind on the mids, and adjust the volume to where that takes the focus and let everything else drop to the sides. I call it, third eye listening. This thing sounds great at kinda loud volume. Details really come out.

This is what i always talking about. Im on same boat with you here. With great balanced iem, we can crank up volumes until mid is clear then the bass and treble will be there accordingly. If an IEM too bass heavy / treble focus, or high mid too emphasized, when we turn up volume, they will be overwhelming.

Oct 3, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #635 of 1,701
Mine is arriving Friday...

Why did I order so many pairs... My blon should get here today, my zsx will be next week, the my Shuoer tape soon after. Not to mention the TRNs I'm getting and the DB3s I have burning in
This is what i always talking about. Im on same boat with you here. With great balanced iem, we can crank up volumes until mid is clear then the bass and treble will be there accordingly. If an IEM too bass heavy / treble focus, or high mid too emphasized, when we turn up volume, they will be overwhelming.

Just like real live music though... I think people forget this about live concerts, bass usually becomes overwhelming in tons of love music venues.

If you ordered a hybrid with a 13mm DD in it and expected subdued bass, you're gonna have a bad time! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #636 of 1,701

Why did I order so many pairs... My blon should get here today, my zsx will be next week, the my Shuoer tape soon after. Not to mention the TRNs I'm getting and the DB3s I have burning in

Just like real life though... I think people forget this about life concerts, bass usually becomes overwhelming.

If you ordered a hybrid with a 13mm DD in it and expected subdued bass, you're gonna have a bad time! :beyersmile:

no no no i was expecting something like my EX1000 16mm DD, its not about quantity, but the quality! perhaps not that level, but not much behind. with that simple mod actually quantity is on good level now, texture, decay, extension also nicer to be heard.

Oct 3, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #637 of 1,701
no no no i was expecting something like my EX1000 16mm DD, its not about quantity, but the quality! perhaps not that level, but not much behind. with that simple mod actually quantity is on good level now, texture, decay, extension also nicer to be heard.
Glad to hear it, I still can't decide if i NEED something like the Sony ex1000 or ex800st, which is very old at this point. I'm hoping the spring 1 is a good, modern, equivalent.

I don't have the money for an ee legend x, nor there are to spend that much on a single pair, but I'm a basshead, so I gotta try this stuff out.

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #638 of 1,701

So where is the part when we have a good time?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #639 of 1,701

Please be noted :

or any wide bore tips

You are hired. Apply within!

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #640 of 1,701
So when is the part where we have a good time?

If I had the patience today to find a link to a clip of the medicinal fried chicken episode... I would. But I don't. However, I can say that as an adult with kids, Randy Marsh is my spirit animal!

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #641 of 1,701

Just like real live music though... I think people forget this about live concerts, bass usually becomes overwhelming in tons of love music venues.

Yes, real bass shakes windows. Most IEMs are way bass light, if you go by that metric (which I lean).

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #642 of 1,701
So where is the part when we have a good time?

I'm having good time with this song :)
Ooohhh that intro and first bass notes

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #643 of 1,701
I have a small issue with the cable on Spring 1. Whenever I turn my head hard left or right ear-hooks don't stay behind the ear. Its annoying constantly having to adjust them. I tried to twist the iems but no help, i guess I'll just remove ear-hooks.
Anyone else noticed this?

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #644 of 1,701
I have a small issue with the cable on Spring 1. Whenever I turn my head hard left or right ear-hooks don't stay behind the ear. Its annoying constantly having to adjust them. I tried to twist the iems but no help, i guess I'll just remove ear-hooks.

Not that specifically but I agree the cable is not great (it is just ok). It looks nice for similar other thick cables, but for me one side bounces around (upwards) and I can feel the ear hook coming off my ear when walking. It just goes up and down, not sideways off my ear. So the cable doesn't tangle like cheaper ones, and reduction of microphonics is good, but the cable is stiffer and plasticy. My ear hook also makes slight crinkle sounds when flexed certain ways. It conducts electricity so no issues there.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #645 of 1,701

Had the same issue. I got a balanced aftermarket cable that fits my ears much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back