Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
May 18, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #1,816 of 2,191
Hi, @DC87 I just tried the AirPods Max owned by a friend and connected to his iPhone, I played some songs I know well. Didn't bother to pair with my Android phone, because I was just curious about the sound. I wouldn't stress too much about codecs though. Apple's AAC is perfectly fine and if it works on Android without issues, is ok. But there are other aspects and features that only work with an apple device.
Hi,
Recently, I had a chance to try out AirPods Max and compare it with PX7, too. On my Android phone both were nearly on the same level. But on the iPhone (12 Pro), PX7 sounded way better than AirPods for my taste...

May 18, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,817 of 2,191
Hi,
Recently, I had a chance to try out AirPods Max and compare it with PX7, too. On my Android phone both were nearly on the same level. But on the iPhone (12 Pro), PX7 sounded way better than AirPods for my taste...

If no sound processing is at play (EQ, iPhone DSP or something) there should be no significant difference between any two BT headphones connected to different devices. And in any case none that should translate in "way better". Define "way better" :)

What I heard is a more rounded sound with less peaks and a more natural sense of stage plus more refinement for APM compared to PX7.

PX7 has bigger bass and more energetic treble (more V-shaped) but that doesn't translate in "better" for me.

But whatever you like and works for you. PX7 is still a great headphone and if you own it ( like I do) and enjoy it, that's all that matters.

May 18, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #1,818 of 2,191
Hi,
I personally felt like they trade blows. Px7 has a fuller mid range, APM greater clarity and a more punchy sub bass.

May 19, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #1,820 of 2,191
Wonder when the PX7 S2 are coming out, that were rumored some months ago. Would be a perfect time to release a follow-up now that the Sony 1000XM5 are out tomorrow.
Agreed, I imagine they will be out this year surely.

I wish they'd take the sound of the P9 and make it wireless. They'd have the best sounding Bluetooth headphone by a country mile

May 29, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #1,822 of 2,191
I have the carbons and there is something about the sound that I do not like, I am no audio expert but they have always sounded a little ‘muddy’
The PX7 do yeah.

Does anyone else here have the P5 wireless? I genuinely think the P5 wireless sound better than these (and bout every other bluetooth headphone).

Some thing about the P5/P7/P9 gen of bowers headphones is just amazing

May 31, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #1,823 of 2,191
The PX7 do yeah.

Does anyone else here have the P5 wireless? I genuinely think the P5 wireless sound better than these (and bout every other bluetooth headphone).

Some thing about the P5/P7/P9 gen of bowers headphones is just amazing
I have the P5s. My go to headphones. Much prefer the sound over PX7 which are a little too muddy for me. Only complaint is I would love a bigger soundstage but it is adequate for on-ears but nowhere near the PX7s.

Jun 15, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,824 of 2,191
Seems like PX7 S2 are coming in Grey, Black and Blue for 429 euros (source).
I hope the rumours of (custom) EQ in the app are true, and that they fixed the sound to be more like the original P-series (like P7 and such).

Looking forward to this, as I'm having a hard time finding a good wireless set of cans!

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,825 of 2,191
Just received an email from B&W here in the US that I believe to be the new PX7.

New PX7.png

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,826 of 2,191
If no sound processing is at play (EQ, iPhone DSP or something) there should be no significant difference between any two BT headphones connected to different devices. And in any case none that should translate in "way better". Define "way better" :)
Do you mean that in passive mode all BT headphones (the ones that actually allow it, that is) should sound the same?

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #1,827 of 2,191
Do you mean that in passive mode all BT headphones (the ones that actually allow it, that is) should sound the same?

No, not in passive mode, I was reffering to sound processing applied at device level (iphone or whatever). Maybe read my post in context with what I was replying to. Take headphone A and B connect them to Samsung, don't process the sound / connect them to iphone, don't process the sound. A and B will sound similar no "big difference". In the sense that any difference between them will be carried on between devices. That was what I was trying to say.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,828 of 2,191
No, not in passive mode, I was reffering to sound processing applied at device level (iphone or whatever). Maybe read my post in context with what I was replying to. Take headphone A and B connect them to Samsung, don't process the sound / connect them to iphone, don't process the sound. A and B will sound similar no "big difference". In the sense that any difference between them will be carried on between devices. That was what I was trying to say.
I had read your reply and I knew in what context it was made (maybe think you are not as clear as you think, instead of assuming people don't read what you were answering to), but the "between any two BT headphones connected to different devices" seemed to point to the assessment I interpreted you were making. It was just a language misunderstanding.
Even if I find it hard to believe the airpods max would sound worse than the px7 with an iphone, I guess there is so much DSP involved, I'm not surprised one could sound better than the other. If one connects the same headphone to two devices same model and no eq, etc., it should definitely sound the same. But with all the DSP (and DSP is hardly ever transparent for the user) involved in wireless, I wouldn't be too surprised the response between the px7 and the airpods max could make an impact in some aspect that one could find preferable.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,829 of 2,191
I had read your reply and I knew in what context it was made (maybe think you are not as clear as you think, instead of assuming people don't read what you were answering to), but the "between any two BT headphones connected to different devices" seemed to point to the assessment I interpreted you were making. It was just a language misunderstanding.
Even if I find it hard to believe the airpods max would sound worse than the px7 with an iphone, I guess there is so much DSP involved, I'm not surprised one could sound better than the other. If one connects the same headphone to two devices same model and no eq, etc., it should definitely sound the same. But with all the DSP (and DSP is hardly ever transparent for the user) involved in wireless, I wouldn't be too surprised the response between the px7 and the airpods max could make an impact in some aspect that one could find preferable.

Yeah, you're right. My language was hurried and ambiguous. Actually you said it better:

"If one connects the same headphone to two devices same model and no eq, etc., it should definitely sound the same."

So sorry if I made the wrong assumptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back