Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Feb 4, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #1,804 of 2,191
Does anyone have experience sometime the left cup produce no sound? By lifting the left ear cup off the left ear multiple times will regain the sound from left ear cup. Is the sensor to be behave like that?
Mine has been doing that also lately. It doesn't seem to be connected to the wear sensor as I have it turned off. My solution is the same as yours, lift the cup a few times and it works again.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #1,806 of 2,191
In case anyone is wondering:
From B&W customer support -

"We do not produce any headphones compatible with balanced connections. Only headphones designed with balanced cabling as their primary connection method will actually exploit this sonically."

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #1,810 of 2,191
I have a wind related question.

In outdoor wind (not storm), I have tried the following headphones with and without noise canceling activated.

Shure Aonic 50 = Absolutely worst when there is wind, with and without noise canceling activated.

Jabra Elite 85n = Better than above, but still not good.

B & W PX = Acceptable, absolutely usable.

How does B& W PX7 fare, with and without noise canceling outside when there is wind?

I am not talking about the microphone, but how the wind affects music.

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #1,811 of 2,191
Ok this makes so much sense. Quick story. A couple of weeks back I purchased the Carbons as I was looking for a fun headphone to compliment my AirPods Max and B&O H95. A headphone I can just turn up and jam out with. I had owned the Space Grey PX7 months back and remembered loving their sound signature in comparison to headphones like the Momentum 3, Sony 1000XM3, Shure Aonic 50, and Dali iO-6. It was just so unique to the others with its visceral impact and tonality. In the end I ended up sending them back after some time as I’ve been on this journey to find the perfect wireless anc headphone and had newer ones come out I wanted to try.

Well, the moment I put on the Carbons I was disappointed. They didn’t have that impact I remembered. I was really confused because I remembered the Space Greys standing up real well to the Dalis, Momentums, and Shures when it came to musical enjoyment. In some instances I preferred it to the others because of its unique tuning. That was not the case at all with the Carbons. I didn’t know if it was because I’m now comparing the PX7 to the AirPods Max and H95 and they’re just that much better than all the rest or what, but they weren’t even fun. Just sounded muffled and harsh at the same time. Super weird compared to the others. Even tried giving them a couple of weeks to see if I could get use to the tuning and never could. Never recaptured the magic I remembered. I ended up returning them and picking up the Momentum 3 again.

The thing with the Momentum is that it still leaves me wanting a little more fun out of it. It’s similar to the AirPods Max to me in that it mixes fun and accurate. It’s more fun than the H95, but still leaves me wanting more with some tracks. It’s too similar to the Max in my opinion. Just has more upper bass than the Max but with less clarity overall. Your post has made me reorder the Space Grey to see if I notice a difference. I really hope your assessment is my reality as I really want a fun, unique headphone that’s different from my other 2. What I remember of my original experience with the Space Grey PX7, they’d be a much better companion to my Max and H95 than the Momentum 3.
Hi, there. I thought it was just me who had that impression about the B&W Carbon edition. I had previously had the PX7 Grey and remember them to be full and visceral with an immersive soundstage. Saw the carbons when they came out and went and got them, passing on the grey PX7s to my son. Very different sound signature, to the extent that they sound like a totally different brand of headphone. Very tinny with no engaging depth and definitely not like the grey version. It definitely sounds like there has been some tweaking done and it's definitely not for the good. Thinking of purchasing a new PX7 Silver (can't exactly go take the original grey ones back from my son) in the hope I can rediscover the sound that made me enjoy them so much in the first place. They had a stellar sound I never expected from a close backed noise cancelling headphone. Had thought about the Bose 700 but they sound like someone scratching nails down a blackboard. Thought about the Sennheiser True Wireless but they seem overly boomy to my wee ears. Any alternatives you can suggest? Or should I just go back to the original PX& as planned? Or even wait and see if there is a PX8 in the offing. Trouble is, they might sound more like the Carbons at the end of the day.

May 1, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #1,812 of 2,191
Hi, there. I thought it was just me who had that impression about the B&W Carbon edition. I had previously had the PX7 Grey and remember them to be full and visceral with an immersive soundstage. Saw the carbons when they came out and went and got them, passing on the grey PX7s to my son. Very different sound signature, to the extent that they sound like a totally different brand of headphone. Very tinny with no engaging depth and definitely not like the grey version. It definitely sounds like there has been some tweaking done and it's definitely not for the good. Thinking of purchasing a new PX7 Silver (can't exactly go take the original grey ones back from my son) in the hope I can rediscover the sound that made me enjoy them so much in the first place. They had a stellar sound I never expected from a close backed noise cancelling headphone. Had thought about the Bose 700 but they sound like someone scratching nails down a blackboard. Thought about the Sennheiser True Wireless but they seem overly boomy to my wee ears. Any alternatives you can suggest? Or should I just go back to the original PX& as planned? Or even wait and see if there is a PX8 in the offing. Trouble is, they might sound more like the Carbons at the end of the day.

I own the Grey PX7 and I love them. But recently I tried a headphone that I would love even more - the AirPods Max.
I never owned an iPhone and I'm not an Apple fan, but what they did with this headphone is amazing. I don't know it its DSP magic or what it is but every song that I listened to seemed to fall right into place, I didn't want to add or subtract anything from their sound signature. But for me the earpads are a bit too small, less roomy than PX7, I'm not in the apple ecosys, and I bought the PX7 for just 4 or 5 months, otherwise amazing headphones.
Also the Sony XM5 seems to be around the corner (leaks) and the construction looks much better (finally!) than XM4 that creaked a lot.

May 1, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #1,813 of 2,191
I actually really wanted to like the Sony brand before the noise cancelling technology had become so good and had a pair of regular Sony passive noise cancelling headphones which I wore out, but very often got lost in a lot of boom. I moved from them to Masters and Dynamic which had just come on to the market and were more punchy but believe it or not, fell apart during the humid Japanese summer. I took them off my head and the ear-cups just stayed on my ears as the glue round the cups had just melted. Once bitten! During a new headphone hunt in one of the massive electrical stores in Tokyo and there was nothing I liked. Nearly all brands were either too bass laden and boomy or plastic feeling and uncomfortable. The Sennheiser Momentums were on the shortlist, then by accident I found a small, little maintained booth with a single pair of the original PX and the sound just blew me away. As others have noted, the pressure on the head was a bit strong but nothing I couldn't cope with, but the sound was 3D and totally immersive. Playing Led Zep's Four Sticks put me in the room as they played. But in the very week I was going to put down the pennies for a pair, the PX7s came out so I went for them, and after some breaking in, I found them to be strikingly good and just like their predecessors, immersive and visceral. And you know the story about the Carbon edition which was a bit weird. I am actually thinking on buying a pair of the original PX phones as they seem to have become a bit of a collectors item in Japan with some on Amazon.jp nearly double the price of the PX7. And they are still the coolest designed headphones I have ever seen. This might sound a little strange, but I had a pair of Sennheiser HD800s which were awesome but I found the PX7 similar but with the balanced bass the HD800's lacked. As for the AirPods Max you speak of, I will try to give them a listen. As you may well know, this hobby can become very expensive very quickly, so any purchase has to be well tried out beforehand. Thanks for the info about them.

May 2, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #1,814 of 2,191
I own the Grey PX7 and I love them. But recently I tried a headphone that I would love even more - the AirPods Max.
I never owned an iPhone and I'm not an Apple fan, but what they did with this headphone is amazing. I don't know it its DSP magic or what it is but every song that I listened to seemed to fall right into place, I didn't want to add or subtract anything from their sound signature. But for me the earpads are a bit too small, less roomy than PX7, I'm not in the apple ecosys, and I bought the PX7 for just 4 or 5 months, otherwise amazing headphones.
Also the Sony XM5 seems to be around the corner (leaks) and the construction looks much better (finally!) than XM4 that creaked a lot.
You say you newer owned an iPhone - so you use AirPods Max with Android? Does it work well? AFAIK, Apple doesn't even use aptX or similar Hi-Res codec - is the quality still better than PX7 with aptX HD? From what I heard, the AitPods would permorm better only on iPhone due to those Spatial Audio thing etc. but it would be very interesting if you say that they also perform very good on different phones.

Regarding PX7 nad carbon isse, I never had carbon but I had both silver and space grey and even they performed a bit different to each other. In the end, I kept space grey one :)

May 2, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,815 of 2,191
Hi, @DC87 I just tried the AirPods Max owned by a friend and connected to his iPhone, I played some songs I know well. Didn't bother to pair with my Android phone, because I was just curious about the sound. I wouldn't stress too much about codecs though. Apple's AAC is perfectly fine and if it works on Android without issues, is ok. But there are other aspects and features that only work with an apple device.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back