Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #1,837 of 2,191

Thanks for compiling these. The first ones out are usually the “press release” websites. A little bit biased and not too thorough on technicalities. But still some useful info. One thing they all agree on is that, while they may lack in all the “featurettes”, they are better in sound than all the others in the same class.

One thing I don’t like, from what I understood, is that the (only?) I/O on them is usb-c as I’m not aware of how hard it is to replace a usb-c to mini-jack cable and also I don’t know if they can be driven passively, which would be very important to me.

Still, I usually like their “house sound” so if these are improved... I’d love to try them.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #1,838 of 2,191
I wonder if S2 is still worth to buy if one already has an original PX7..

If the original is still functional, then most probably not. What does it offer over the PX7 for 400€+?

One of the reviews above says "high-quality and silent plastics for the arms and hinges" - the PX7 is carbon fibre, which was their USP for me.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #1,839 of 2,191
Disappointed that the Px7 S2 still have 30hrs battery life.

One thing I don’t like, from what I understood, is that the (only?) I/O on them is usb-c as I’m not aware of how hard it is to replace a usb-c to mini-jack cable and also I don’t know if they can be driven passively, which would be very important to me.

The USB-C port is used, with a dedicated 3.5mm to USB-C cable, as audio line-in.

However, regardless of what cable you use (USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to 3.5mm), you'll have to switch the headphones on, as they *don't* work passively (just like the PX and PX7).

If you'd like to try something high-end that works passively, take a look at the M&D MW75 (or, still unsure but very likely, at the Sennheiser Momentum 4 that still have to be officially announced).

If you live in the UK and don't care about technical mumbo jumbo, you can try the "old" but still excellent Beoplay H9 3rd Gen (that you can now find brand new for less than £200, even with 3-year retailer warranty). They sound extremely good, have decent ANC and transparency, excellent premium build quality (better than more recent B&O headphones) and can be used passively.

If the original is still functional, then most probably not. What does it offer over the PX7 for 400€+?

One of the reviews above says "high-quality and silent plastics for the arms and hinges" - the PX7 is carbon fibre, which was their USP for me.

Seriously, are the Px7 S2 arms made out of plastic!? I thought it was aluminium, similar to the B&O Beoplay range :-/

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #1,840 of 2,191
The USB-C port is used, with a dedicated 3.5mm to USB-C cable, as audio line-in.
So if I want to use wired connection (e.g. during flight), I cannot charge the headphone at the same time... It was already a reason for me not to look at Sony XMs at all because I use headphones a lot and often do charge them while listening to something.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #1,841 of 2,191
So if I want to use wired connection (e.g. during flight), I cannot charge the headphone at the same time... It was already a reason for me not to look at Sony XMs at all because I use headphones a lot and often do charge them while listening to something.

Correct.

The only way of charging them and using them wired simultaneously would be by using a USB-C to USB-C cable, which obviously requires a source device with a USB-C port and digital audio support.

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,842 of 2,191
So tempted but I’m really looking forward to the flagship PX8 release in a couple of months. Can’t wait for that reveal.

They’re releasing a new model above this? I was unaware. I just hope they correct what I’m mentioning right below.

However, regardless of what cable you use (USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to 3.5mm), you'll have to switch the headphones on, as they *don't* work passively (just like the PX and PX7).

If you'd like to try something high-end that works passively, take a look at the M&D MW75 (or, still unsure but very likely, at the Sennheiser Momentum 4 that still have to be officially announced).

If you live in the UK and don't care about technical mumbo jumbo, you can try the "old" but still excellent Beoplay H9 3rd Gen (that you can now find brand new for less than £200, even with 3-year retailer warranty). They sound extremely good, have decent ANC and transparency, excellent premium build quality (better than more recent B&O headphones) and can be used passively.

Yeah, that’s one of the reasons why I didn’t get the PX7. I ended up getting the Aonic 50. Their sound may not be as exciting but they are very versatile.

Bummer. I hope the above mentioned PX8 will change this and also incorporate BTLE/LC3. Otherwise I’ll happily keep the A50’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back