Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,216 of 2,191
Today I listened to some Al Jarreau albums from the 80‘s („Jarreau“ and „L is for Lover“) sitting in a crowded bus with lots of children and much noise. If I listened to these albums with my wifes QC35II one must push the volume nesrly to max. With the PX7 I was completely isolated from any noise (ANC Mode AUTO) with 50 to 55% volume and they sounded fantastic. I am very pleased with this high value product.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,217 of 2,191
Well I'm only about 10 minutes in, but I currently think the sound is a bit muffled. Comfort is good. Noise cancelling is outstanding. Need to give them some time and compare them to my P7W, but seems the P7W may be hard to dethrone. Still I may sell the PX and keep the PX7 for flights. I'll be back after more listening.

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,218 of 2,191
Well I'm only about 10 minutes in, but I currently think the sound is a bit muffled. Comfort is good. Noise cancelling is outstanding. Need to give them some time and compare them to my P7W, but seems the P7W may be hard to dethrone. Still I may sell the PX and keep the PX7 for flights. I'll be back after more listening.
I think muffled would be a good description of my experience with the PX7s. Once again I think it had to do with the type of music I listen to.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,220 of 2,191
After more listening they are growing on me. They are still a little muffled. The bass is really awesome. They are really comfortable. I am going to exchange them because the left cup has cut in and out a couple of times. I tap on the cup and it comes back on. Clearly shouldn't happen with a pair of cans. So I'll hold any further comments until I get a replacement pair. Hopefully they will be a touch brighter/clearer.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #1,223 of 2,191
Hi everyone,
Considering this headphone for use with an iphone. I did read that you can use this wired with a digital dac via the usbc connection. So I was wondering if anyonw has tried these with a dragonfly and what the result is compared to bluetooth aac (sadly the only codec ios offers and inferior to the top of the line codecs).
Or is there a dongle I could use for pc and iphone to make them work with better codecs?
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,225 of 2,191
Hey, PX owner here, still trying to decide if I should go with the PX7's.
My worries from what I've been reading are about bass, I think the bass on the PX is nearly perfect, very close to neutral and not muddy at all. I've also tried the Sony's for a while and with the default settings the bass on them was terrible, it made songs from Daft Punk for example sound like a bass soup and nothing more.

So, would you guys describe the PX7 as closer to the Sony, or the PX?

You can use a 'chart' like this:
PX<--------------------------------->PX7<--------------------------------->XM3

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #1,226 of 2,191
Hey guys. I know there’s several of you that own both the PX7 and the P9. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding how they compare. I think it’s safe to assume that the P9 is substantially better at detail/micro detail retrieval...especially when run off of a decent dac/amp. So, I guess I’m looking more for sound signature, tonality, soundstage, and instrument separation comparisons. Thanks in advance!

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #1,227 of 2,191
My worries from what I've been reading are about bass, I think the bass on the PX is nearly perfect, very close to neutral and not muddy at all. I've also tried the Sony's for a while and with the default settings the bass on them was terrible, it made songs from Daft Punk for example sound like a bass soup and nothing more.

Thanks!

I haven’t listened to the PX7 in person, but I’ve owned the 1000xm3 and felt the same way you do about their bass, and also own the PX. Based on reading every post in this thread and most published PX7 reviews, I believe your ‘chart’ may have answered your own question.

The PX7 bass is probably close to being right smack in the middle between the near neutral, tight, and detailed bass of the PX, and the overblown, overbearing, and somewhat sloppy bass of a non-EQ’d 1000xm3. Just an educated guess, though. I’m sure PX7 owners can give you a more definitive answer.

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,230 of 2,191

Thanks!

The PX7 has approximately the same amount of Bass as the XM3. But it's very fast and well textured. No comparison the the XM3's rather sloppy bass reproduction.

Hey guys. I know there’s several of you that own both the PX7 and the P9. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding how they compare. I think it’s safe to assume that the P9 is substantially better at detail/micro detail retrieval...especially when run off of a decent dac/amp. So, I guess I’m looking more for sound signature, tonality, soundstage, and instrument separation comparisons. Thanks in advance!

The P9 and PX7 are quite equal to each other when it comes to detail reproduction and sound stage. The P9's stage is a little deeper, the PX7's is a bit wider. The main difference is the tuning: The P9 have a dip in the lower midrange, which messes with midrange tonality. The PX7 doesn't have that, so I'd say it's better than the P9 when it comes to timbre and tonality. The P9 has superior, rather flat treble and better dynamics, though. The PX7 follows a different approach with a dip in the lower treble, which makes it sound rather dark (and muffled for some), but a slight emphasis around 10khz to retain detail and texture. As a result, Cymbals sound rather artificial on the PX7, but still not as bad as, for example, with the XM3. Overall, I like the PX7 more than the P9 because of better midrange tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back