Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 17, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #886 of 2,199
I’m similar to everyone else on here. Started with the Momentum 3. Grabbed the PX7, sent the Momentum 3 back due to the PX7 being the better all arounder. Began noticing the sound inconsistencies and poor mic quality of the PX7, picked the Momentum 3 back up to do a more thorough comparison. PX7 went back because the Momentum 3 wins in Sound and Mic Quality. Momentum 3 are my office and home headphones. I have the Bose N700 already, that in my opinion is an even better all arounder than the PX7, for travel. Also have the Airpods Pro. Really disappointing. The PX7 really has the potential to be a one stop shop for Everyday Wireless ANC Portable Headphones which I’ve been in search of for the past few years. I really want to consolidate my headphones. I guess now’s not the time. I also just recently got the Dali io-6 and now I’m trying to decide if it’ll replace my Momentum 3.
Ml
It seems you're right about most of us going same route here,
Despite my post earlier declaring Dali best i have to apologize and say i was wrong, they are musical but thinner and bass doesn't sattisfy in the same way. Sending them back now to Amazon.
After going back to M3 i have to say they are my winner despite lack of hd.
Usb c connection to my phone makes them superb, better than bt, even with Spotify.

One thing remains the same tho,
PX7 have too many issues including sound inconsistencies to keep

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #888 of 2,199
With regard to the M3’s how loud are they in relation to the PX7? Difficult subjective question I know but I normally have my PX7 just over half on my iPhone and have always had to crank up Sennheiser’s to a notch or two below full volume...thanks

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #892 of 2,199
With regard to the M3’s how loud are they in relation to the PX7? Difficult subjective question I know but I normally have my PX7 just over half on my iPhone and have always had to crank up Sennheiser’s to a notch or two below full volume...thanks
Different sources probably do different results. Connecting Px7 and M3 to a Huawei Mate10 pro, I found the M3 much louder. Highest difference using Deezer HQ Vs spotify. With good recordings the M3, at maximum volume, become deafening

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #893 of 2,199
Mine also default to SBC on my Macs (one on Catalina, one on Mojave) if they are also connected to my iPhone. To get them to use a different codec I have to disconnect from both devices and then reconnect to the Mac.

I use bluetooth explorer to force AptX use over AAC. It doesn't work on Catalina, which defaults to AAC.

I just noticed this as well even with my PX which I used to be able to get on AptX with Mac, search around and found this.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/369765/does-macos-10-15-catalina-no-longer-support-aptx

Apparently it's Apple side issue, they've "officially" dropped AptX from MacOS but some suggested it's actually running AptX even it displays SBC.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #894 of 2,199
Ml
It seems you're right about most of us going same route here,
Despite my post earlier declaring Dali best i have to apologize and say i was wrong, they are musical but thinner and bass doesn't sattisfy in the same way. Sending them back now to Amazon.
After going back to M3 i have to say they are my winner despite lack of hd.
Usb c connection to my phone makes them superb, better than bt, even with Spotify.

One thing remains the same tho,
PX7 have too many issues including sound inconsistencies to keep

Do you think the Apple Lightning Camera Adapter would work with the M3, hooked up to an iPhone/iPad?

Nov 17, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #895 of 2,199
Did you get a chance to compare Dali IO-6 vs Momentum 3?

I have. I honestly love them both. These are my two favorite wireless headphones when it comes to Sound Quality. My plan was to demo both and return my least favorite. Not sure I can now. Completely different sound signatures. The best way I can put it, the Momentum 3 has what I call a modern audiophile signature. Exciting, detailed, dynamic, and musical. The Dali io-6 has a more traditional audiophile sound. Transparent, clear, detailed, and intimate. You won’t miss any part of the track with these. If the violin player on the 3rd row of an Orchestra sneezes, you’ll hear it with these.

If a gun was put to my head and I was forced to choose one, I’d probably choose the Momentum 3 simply because as I said it’s more modern, and it’s signature is a little more forgiving than the Dalis. I find this important for headphones you’ll be using in multiple scenarios and not just at home. Plus, the Momentums have an app with an EQ, and the ability to update/improve the headphones. I prefer to have both though :L3000:

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #896 of 2,199
Nov 18, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #898 of 2,199
Has anyone compared the PX7’s to the PX9’s? I have and really enjoy the PX9’s and I wish I could have wireless PX9’s. Do the PX7’s get close in sound quality?

The PX7 sounds more like the P9 than the PX, IMHO. Bass slams harder on the PX7 than the P9, but the soundstage is much wider so this doesn’t get in the way of the mids the way it sometimes does on the P9. That said, the P9 is more detailed, for obvious reasons.

Like the P9, the PX7’s performance can be rather dependent on quality of the source (especially the track itself).

In general, if you like the P9, you’ll like the PX7. Probably the best metric I can think of.

Nov 18, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #900 of 2,199
Update on my clicking in the right cup. I was about to return my third pair, but decided to pry off the cushion and see if there was something loose as the one poster earlier in the thread suggested.

I didn't feel anything loose, but pushed on the point where I thought the clicking was coming from. Put back on the cushion, und viola it's gone. Can't say that makes me feel great for 400 euro cans, and I'm not sure it will stay fixed but at least it should be a very easy in warranty fix if it does come back.

I went walking today which was triggering it with every other step previously, and I didn't hear it at all. I could swear when turning my head sometimes I hear something like friction, but it could be my imagination.

Other than that mess I'm very happy with them. I'm no audiophile and I like darker signatures (although Sony's are for sure too much), and for everyday use (I don't do 'critical listening') these are great. The wear sensor, multi-device pairing, solid passive and active NC, and battery means it just integrates into my work and entertainment life all while sounding damn good.

I'm still very curious about latency though. On my windows 10 pc with only a regular BT5.0 transmitter on the mobo, youtube tests don't show me any measurable latency. I assume something OS side is doing trickery to sync the audio and video.... but in windows what would that be?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back