Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 15, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #856 of 2,191
Does B&W usually have quality control problems like people are having on the PX7?

I finally got my third pair of PX7's, and the weird issue I had with static in the left cup with ANC on high is gone! In fact I think the ANC was just plain broken on the first pair, because it's like a different experience now. That being said, the wind noise makes it pretty useless outside... it's a totally non-windy day where I live and just walking was picking up constant wind noise. ANC on low was fine though, and although didn't do a great job of blocking street noise on it's own; together with the volume up plus the great passive blocking it did the trick.

So yeah swap your headphones out for pretty much any strangeness...

Still the new pair has one issue... the clicking noise in the right ear cup when moving my head is stronger in this one than my first pair. Has anyone figured out what's causing it, or are people successfully swapping out their pair for this issue as well? It's weird, because holding the button assembly makes no difference, it's something moving inside... and sometimes it doesn't move when I move, and other times constantly.

If these things just worked as advertised, I would be happy with them. I find them comfortable, great passive NC, great loudness, imaging, nice BT features, and for the me the sound signature is solid (I like darker signatures as I mostly listen to rock, electronic, etc).

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #857 of 2,191
Still the new pair has one issue... the clicking noise in the right ear cup when moving my head is stronger in this one than my first pair. Has anyone figured out what's causing it, or are people successfully swapping out their pair for this issue as well? It's weird, because holding the button assembly makes no difference, it's something moving inside... and sometimes it doesn't move when I move, and other times constantly.

The clicking noise is the current deal breaker for me (on the left side). The strange thing is that it begins after 15-30 of listening/being powered on.
I'm going back to the Sevenoaks where I bought mine tomorrow and try to see if I can return (unlikely since it's been more than 30 days) and if I can't, return it through my Amex buyer protection.

To a lesser degree, I'm also annoyed by the wind noises being picked up by the ANC.

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #858 of 2,191
The clicking noise is the current deal breaker for me (on the left side). The strange thing is that it begins after 15-30 of listening/being powered on.
I'm going back to the Sevenoaks where I bought mine tomorrow and try to see if I can return (unlikely since it's been more than 30 days) and if I can't, return it through my Amex buyer protection.

To a lesser degree, I'm also annoyed by the wind noises being picked up by the ANC.

On the left side? Is it always there only when moving your head/walking? What I hear on the right side is only with movement and really sounds like a mechanical part that's loose.

Nov 15, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #859 of 2,191
On the left side? Is it always there only when moving your head/walking? What I hear on the right side is only with movement and really sounds like a mechanical part that's loose.

Yeah, mine is on the left ear cup.
It is definitely mechanic and, as you said, evident with the slightest movement of the head/body. But I've also noticed the clicking sound at higher volumes and when there's a deep bass even when I don't move myself.
But in any case, the clicking noise starts happening after 15-30 minutes after I start listening, so there's some heat/elastic component to whatever piece is getting loose.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #860 of 2,191
Does B&W usually have quality control problems like people are having on the PX7?

I finally got my third pair of PX7's, and the weird issue I had with static in the left cup with ANC on high is gone! In fact I think the ANC was just plain broken on the first pair, because it's like a different experience now. That being said, the wind noise makes it pretty useless outside... it's a totally non-windy day where I live and just walking was picking up constant wind noise. ANC on low was fine though, and although didn't do a great job of blocking street noise on it's own; together with the volume up plus the great passive blocking it did the trick.

So yeah swap your headphones out for pretty much any strangeness...

If these things just worked as advertised, I would be happy with them. I find them comfortable, great passive NC, great loudness, imaging, nice BT features, and for the me the sound signature is solid (I like darker signatures as I mostly listen to rock, electronic, etc).

The wind mode on the Senn M3 is a godsend for wind noise, I’m surprised no one is talking about it.

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #861 of 2,191
I've had to return my pair due to two things:

1. The clicking noise - left earcup
2. Some volume changes resulted in a popping. Not all the time, but often enough to be really annoying

Overall I liked them, although the comfort was less than I'd like and the clamping was a little too much for me.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #862 of 2,191
I bought the Momentum 3 Wireless today just for the sake of it... Will compare them to the PX7 over the weekend :)

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #864 of 2,191
Me. No clicking whatsoever. Yet...

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #868 of 2,191
First impressions of the Momentum Wireless vs the PX7:

1. The Momentum sound better, definitely. Much better clarity, musicality and liveliness. Great to listen to and enjoy music right from the get go. No dark, thick and heavy sound whatsoever.

2. The PX7 are more snug around the ear but both headphones are really comfortable.

3. The Sennheiser leak more at high volumes. They are actually quite leaky. The PX7 are better in that regard.

4. The PX7 also have a better case and much better battery life (nothing new here)

5. The PX7 have slightly better ANC and support quick charge, which is always a plus in my book.

6. Both support multipoint connection, both work great but being able to switch and manage devices is within the app is another plus for the PX7.

7. Design is up to personal taste of course, I like both designs but slightly prefer the PX7 here, too.

All in all, I think the PX7s really are the better allrounder as a headphone, the better overall package. However, the Momentums really sound that much better to me at least that it's still not a very easy decision for me at the moment :)

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #870 of 2,191
For those who have asked about experiences with the clicking/rattling sound (someone previously likened it to the sound of a Snapple lid) and QC issues, here is my experience... I posted earlier in the thread about some of this.

I've now bought FOUR (!) PX7s total, three have been returned:

#1 was from Best Buy online. Immediately noticed rattling on right side with movement (I like to walk with headphones), seemed to go away after not too long but I did not actively test/listen for it. I returned this pair because of a small tear in the pleather band and my concern that it might worsen over time... Didn't think a $400 headphone should have this.

#2 was from Best Buy online. This had rattling on the left side, with movement. BTW this is all without the headphone being turned on. Never went away or improved. On more than one occasion, I heard it without movement (I paused music playback around bass-heavy parts if I recall correctly, and it would make a weird clicking/vibrating kind of noise for a while). I eventually returned this after intermittently but repeatedly being able to reproduce the clicking with movement.

#3 was from Best Buy online. This had rattling on the ride side, with movement. Milder than #2 above but definitely there. Returned it, pretty discouraged and annoyed by this point.

#4 was from Amazon (US), even though I normally try to avoid Amazon and I didn't get 5% off which I did with the Best Buy purchases because of a Best Buy credit card. Have not noticed any clicking/rattling so far. Keeping my fingers crossed...

So a few additional notes:
- I removed the ear pads and made sure everything I could see inside seemed secure on pair #2 (someone earlier in the thread had advised this). I tried this several times and it did not help.
- I also switched the ear pads in orientation (upside down) and also switched out left and right -- did not make any difference. Pair #2 continued to have clicking/rattling only on the left. Problem is definitely something inside on these, not related to buttons or ANC/playback.
- Finally, I noticed that 2 out of the first 5 reviews on Best Buy's PX7 item page mention rattling as a problem, whereas I can't find any mention on the Amazon reviews. And this may be purely coincidental, but I had problems with all 3 pairs I ordered from Best Buy online... Wonder if they had a bad batch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back