Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 11, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #826 of 2,191
I'm quite anxious how the PX7 sounds, since the PX was one of the most bafflingly bad headhones I've come across from an established brand in a long time, but I liked the P7 for casual listening, so I'm really hoping they went back to that sound, and didn't continue with the disjointed mess that was the PX... Certainly not a fan of the new plastic and fake material construction - I'm sorry, "carbon fiber" and "animal friendly materials".

But it sounds like the consensus of many us that the P7 is still better? Apart from the comfort that is, which is a rather unfortunate flaw...

I never trying p7 (model that is wired only) but I having p7 wireless for 3 years now. I trying px and for me the sound is very bad, is very veiled and headphone uncomfortable and construction not good like the initial appearance. For me the p7 wireless is best sound in a headphone of all the wireless and anc headphones I trying in the past. And for me the p7 wireless today is more comfortable than px7.

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #827 of 2,191
I'm quite anxious how the PX7 sounds, since the PX was one of the most bafflingly bad headhones I've come across from an established brand in a long time, but I liked the P7 for casual listening, so I'm really hoping they went back to that sound, and didn't continue with the disjointed mess that was the PX... Certainly not a fan of the new plastic and fake material construction - I'm sorry, "carbon fiber" and "animal friendly materials".

But it sounds like the consensus of many us that the P7 is still better? Apart from the comfort that is, which is a rather unfortunate flaw...

I haven't heard the P7(yet), but I once again have to clarify that ANC headphones are made for a purpose that's not critical listening. ANC headphones are targeted towards your regular every-day travelers and commuters and favour rather mainstream-compatible sound signatures. As a matter of fact, after hearing several ANC headphones, I'm pretty sure that ANC can only efficiently applied to drivers that have been tuned towards a certain sound signature. If you try anything else, you either change the sound quality significantly as soon as you switch on ANC (the original PX) or you don't have much of an efficient ANC in the first place (Dali IO6).

If you don't need ANC, there is zero reason to look at the PX7 (or any other ANC headphone), because there are plenty of cheaper and better sounding alternatives out there.

TL;DR

ANC affects sound quality and works only with certain sound signatures due to physics. If you don't need ANC, look somewhere else.

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #828 of 2,191
I haven't heard the P7(yet), but I once again have to clarify that ANC headphones are made for a purpose that's not critical listening. ANC headphones are targeted towards your regular every-day travelers and commuters and favour rather mainstream-compatible sound signatures. As a matter of fact, after hearing several ANC headphones, I'm pretty sure that ANC can only efficiently applied to drivers that have been tuned towards a certain sound signature. If you try anything else, you either change the sound quality significantly as soon as you switch on ANC (the original PX) or you don't have much of an efficient ANC in the first place (Dali IO6).

If you don't need ANC, there is zero reason to look at the PX7 (or any other ANC headphone), because there are plenty of cheaper and better sounding alternatives out there.

TL;DR

ANC affects sound quality and works only with certain sound signatures due to physics. If you don't need ANC, look somewhere else.

I've been thinking the same regarding ANC. I cannot justify keeping both so hands down winner for me is the original PX which I will be keeping. I've actually sent mine back today as the battery has depleted somewhat since use. 2 week turnaround so I'll use PX7s till they arrive back.

A question regarding usb c charging ... Why Is it that both hps are shipped with a usb c to a cable and not c to c ? I've always charged my PXs with c to c and am wondering if they can't handle the fast charging watt input ? There is no mention of using c to c in either manual either. I noticed battery depletion around 6 months after owing but only sending them in now as I never wanted to let go of them.

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #829 of 2,191
I've been thinking the same regarding ANC. I cannot justify keeping both so hands down winner for me is the original PX which I will be keeping. I've actually sent mine back today as the battery has depleted somewhat since use. 2 week turnaround so I'll use PX7s till they arrive back.

A question regarding usb c charging ... Why Is it that both hps are shipped with a usb c to a cable and not c to c ? I've always charged my PXs with c to c and am wondering if they can't handle the fast charging watt input ? There is no mention of using c to c in either manual either. I noticed battery depletion around 6 months after owing but only sending them in now as I never wanted to let go of them.

I think the main reason for shipping them with an A to C cable is that most people will charge these headphones with a power bank, a USB port on their computer or simply their phone charger. Using the cable as an audio connection will most probably also happpen via USB-A on a laptop, for example. USB-C ports are still not very common, at least on the power-source side of things.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #830 of 2,191

TL;DR

Thats what baffled me about the original PX, it had a harsh and uneven sound signature (the measurement looks like 3 badly crossed over drivers or something) which is not the normal consumer sound, more like they were trying to make it sound detailed, which it really wasn't. And on top of that, turning the NC on barely blocked more noise than the passive isolation - especially when compared to something like the Sony.
But stuff like the Sony and and my Bose QuietControl 30 have the pleasantly warm, with a bit extra bass you'd expect for a consumer oriented headphone - the P7 is similarly tuned.
My main two reasons for being interested in the PX7 is that I do want noise cancelling at times, and literally the only issue I have with the P7, is that it gives me a serious hot-spot, quite quickly, all things considered.
On a sidenote, the P7 and my Bose have made me hopelessly addicted to wireless headphones, especially at home, since... Lets just say, if you have no pockets for a DAP, wired headphones become rather annoying ^^

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #831 of 2,191
A little update:

As mentioned here before, the past two weeks I have been using the Sony 1000XM3, the Sennheiser M3, and the BW PX7. My judgement hasn't really changed but I did find some quirks on each headphone.

The Sony XM3 is a definite keep. It's the most portable, has the longest battery life, the lightest, and the transparency mode is the quickest to activate as the whole earcup is a button that you just put your palm over. The sound is also above average imo but really the star of this is the noise cancelling. I'll happily keep this as my travel headphone of choice.

The Senny M3 is still my favourite sounding headphone out of the trio. The XM3 and PX7 just don't come close to the rumbling and growling lows that this headphone can deliver. It has a much wider soundstage than the XM3, although it's not as wide as the PX7. I also am really happy that noise cancelling has very little effect on the sound quality but the noise cancelling isn't very strong to begin with. All my pain points still remain from my earlier testing. The battery life really is abysmal. I am getting about 15 hours max from using these and after two days of use, my app is telling me I have 20% battery left. Maybe a total of 10-11 hours of listening time all in all. It's a pain to carry around, the case sucks, it doesn't fit in my briefcase or messenger bag and for some reason- >>>not all USBC cables charge this headphone<<<

My Apple MacBook USBC cable that I use to charge all my other devices does charge the headphone. My backup Lacie USBC cable also does not charge this headphone. The Anker Powerline series does, and so does the cable of the Sony XM3. So if you lose your Senny cable, or leave it plugged in at work like I do, you might find yourself in a spot where none of the USBC cables you have will work or if you buy one at Bestbuy, no guarantees it will work. What an absolute headache and nullifies a really big benefit of USBC. The Sennheiser engineering team that made this decision needs to be fired imo.

All of that said, I still use this as my daily driver simply because of the sound and build quality.

Now, for the PX7. I think it takes the best of both worlds from the XM3 and M3. It has the portability and battery life of the XM3 while retaining better sound and build quality similar to the M3. The sound doesn't vibrate my skull like the M3 does but the bass is still enjoyable enough to listen to. I wouldn't call these basshead cans though. The Noise Cancelling is ok- not as good as the XM3 but not as bad as the M3- it's closer to the Sony in this regard.

Now my little niggles with this headphone is that I have heard the popping sound when increasing my volume. It's not a beep or anything like that but it sounds like a little puff of air, most noticeable when changing volume up. It gets a bit annoying but sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. YMMV. The app is pretty rubbish compared to the Sony and Sennheiser- it's very barebones and basic. Also for me, I do notice the wide soundstage with ANC off but it does compress significantly with ANC on. It really does change the sound signature quite a bit especially listening to a song back to back with it on and off- it's pretty obvious.

That being said, at this point, I don't think I can recommend the PX7. It's sort of stuck in a no-man's land where my impression is BW tried to do a bit of everything, but didn't really end up being better at anything. My pair is going to a new owner tomorrow and I will be keeping the Sony XM3 for travel and the Sennheiser M3 for day to day use. Personally for me, if you're not too bothered with the plastic feel- I would recommend the Sony XM3 over the PX7 for anyone looking for a great pair of cans. If you feel like you need better sound than the XM3, the next noticeable step up for me is the Senn M3.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #833 of 2,191
To all who are interested.

I received my second PX7 and this one doest NOT have the weird defect i mentioned earlier.
So im very happy that i didnt imagine it .
I think I am having the same problem. I get constant drop outs when I have the PX7s connected to my DAP and my iPhone at the same time. When I just connect to the DAP I think things are generally fine. I like the PX7s - certainly more than my old Bose QC's which I am replacing - but I am not floored by them. I hear some issue with the treble around 8-10khz as others have mentioned and the volume is a little low for me. Also, I would really like the app to have an EQ so I can dial out some bass. I think I might return these and try the Sennheiser Momentum 3.0's.

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #834 of 2,191
I think I am having the same problem. I get constant drop outs when I have the PX7s connected to my DAP and my iPhone at the same time. When I just connect to the DAP I think things are generally fine. I like the PX7s - certainly more than my old Bose QC's which I am replacing - but I am not floored by them. I hear some issue with the treble around 8-10khz as others have mentioned and the volume is a little low for me. Also, I would really like the app to have an EQ so I can dial out some bass. I think I might return these and try the Sennheiser Momentum 3.0's.

I was more irritated by the weird bubble noise. The drop out only happened when connected to the quietconfort of my neighbour cause i tried them and didnt disconnect. after done that it was stable.
Very very sometimes i get a hiccup ( hard to put a number on it but its like when you open the app when playing music etc.... ) but thats to be expected with wireless... never when im just behind desk all day.

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #835 of 2,191
I'm starting to think that the PX7 actually handles wired connections from high-end sources better than AptX HD. Anyone else been playing with wired from a good DAC/DAP? I'm doing it with a DX220 w/Amp9.

Obviously would be great if you could pass through directly to the drivers, but it is my understanding that an analog signal from a high-end DAC will actually be giving better quality information to the PX7 than an AptX HD connection.

That said, wired sounds different than the USB-C setup. So I think something is being left alone with analog input. Not sure how exactly this feature works, though. I've asked B&W for more clarity on it.

Nov 12, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #836 of 2,191
Why don’t you just connect the PX7 via USB? When connected you don’t have to feed an analogue signal at all. I’d say they sound quite good this way as an USB headphones to my computer. No external DAC needed.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #838 of 2,191
I'm starting to think that the PX7 actually handles wired connections from high-end sources better than AptX HD. Anyone else been playing with wired from a good DAC/DAP? I'm doing it with a DX220 w/Amp9.

Obviously would be great if you could pass through directly to the drivers, but it is my understanding that an analog signal from a high-end DAC will actually be giving better quality information to the PX7 than an AptX HD connection.

That said, wired sounds different than the USB-C setup. So I think something is being left alone with analog input. Not sure how exactly this feature works, though. I've asked B&W for more clarity on it.

I noticed the same. The PX7 sounds fantastic via a quality 3,5mm source. The original PX hissed like a mofo with every analog source, because the signal went through the onboard amplifier no matter what. I suppose the PX7 either applies less gain to the 3,5mm source or lets the signal bypass the amp completely and needs to be switched on only for the ANC. Would be very curious about B&W's reply to your inquiry.

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #840 of 2,191
So I got a response to my question on the Rtings review (they updated the review as well) in regards to their strange latency measurement for AptX HD.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/discussions/WeMvdn7XnP8Kr0oe/latency-question

They seem to confirm the value was correct, and muse that due to the backwards compatibility with Aptx HD, that this result is adaptive kicking in.

Can anyone else confirm this? I know one guy from this thread made a post about how he recorded from a mic and played back the same tone and got no difference.

I've been thinking... how the hell is this new codec supposed to work automatically with different types of content, to determine what bitrate and latency to target. For phones with integrated ecosystems (new android phones for instance), I've been thinking that they could indeed set a flag somewhere for the type of content, but say on a PC, that would be unlikely in regards to Qualcomm's walled garden.

That leaves only some sort of analysis of the sound signature to "guess" what to target, though God only knows how they would do this reliably.
Any other thoughts on the matter? I know a lot of people on here are discussing sound quality and build quality, but actually one of my reasons for buying was compatability with aptx codecs and latency. It's annoying at the moment that this adaptive stuff is a complete black box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back