Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 10, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #811 of 2,191
However I made the mistake(?) of comparing them with my P7 Wireless and well the P7s are still better! The PX7 in comparison sound slightly muffled (I tried with all variations of NC too) and the volume does indeed seem limited after a certain point on the scale of the device (as others have noticed on this board). This was all in wireless mode, when I switched to wired, well the sound seemed to collapse for the PX7 completely and wasn’t anywhere near as loud. The P7 meanwhile sounded great wired or wireless....oh well just my thoughts...I will probably keep the PX7 just for comfort and slightly better ergonomics on the commute but damn I wished they were simply a more comfortable P7W in disguise!

I found the same thing with my new PX7 as well, but they got so much better after 20hrs of burn-in using a mix of static pink noise and frequency sweep. Vocal gets more clear and forward, that I think it's starting to come close to the PX. Sound imaging is better than PX and P7w, vocal sounds more like coming from front rather than in my head. Now it's my go-to headphone, and will likely sell my PX. Will still keep the P7w for classical musics.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #812 of 2,191
I have the PX7’s and the Dali’s, if I had the choice I’d go with the PX7’s for travel and the Dali’s for home use, unfortunately my wife has taken over the PX7’s so she’ll be using them while traveling. I find the ANC really good on the PX7’s, sound is decent without being top notch, but I reckon it’s a good sound signature to travel with. A good ANC headphone.

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #813 of 2,191
I had the Beyerdynamic Lagoon which did sound terrific with ANC off, although I missed a touch of rumble in the low end. Due to some electrical noise in the left ear cup I returned them and bought the PX7's instead. In my opinion the PX7's does remind me of the Beyerdynamic with more focus in the low end. At lower to mid-volume I like the PX7's, but when playing louder they do sting a little in the treble and give a little listening fatigue. I never play that loud so it's not a big issue for me. I’m also quite impressed with the ANC. My expectations were not high after reading this thread and some reviews.. Compared to my Audeze Mobius, the mids and highs are not as sweet.
All in all I think these are quite good for an ANC headphone and I will definitely keep them.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #814 of 2,191
Hello....

New to this thread, been following it for a bit... I'm in the market for my first over the ear ANC headphones.... I've had my eyes on the B&W PX7 but it seems like they've been a massive disappointment ? or are most of the review just nitpicking? I'll be traveling next month overseas and now not sure where to throw my money for a pair of headphones
I loved everything about them except they just are not comfortable for me. First I had problems with them putting pressure on the points behind my jaw, then once that had eased off / me got used to it I started getting pain on the top of my head from the headband. I now can’t wear any of my headphones as they have actually dented the top of my head!!! So strange as never had any comfort issues with the p7w or the px (I have small head btw).

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #815 of 2,191
So, inspired by my own experiences as well as some of the comments in this thread, I went to a Hifi shop to have a comparison for myself between B&O H9, my ow PX7, Momentum wireless 3 and Dali IO6. I left the PX7 at the shop and returned with the Dali IO6. It was, imho, no competition. The PX7 tended to muffle everything up to quite a degree, whereas the IO6 had such great musicality space and overall clarity in the sound it was truly addicting. I'll have to do some more critical listening, but after on day the most striking the is the following: with the PX7 (mind you, I really really wanted to like the PX7) whenever the next track was up I was thinking whether it would sound great or 'meh'. Now with the IO6, I'm noticing I get positively excited to find out how it will serve up the next track.

I'll report back after some more time listening, but Dali surely did a hell of a job here.

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #816 of 2,191
Thanks for that. My current ANC driver is the B&O H9i (which replaced the H9). I use my ANC cans strictly for airline travel so a very distinct purpose. I previously owned the P7W and was hoping that the PX7 would be able to knock off my B&O's however I sent it back. The description you used - muffled - matched what I found. Furthermore they were not musical in any way. I have a pair of Dali IO-6 arriving Tuesday and I wait with high expectations. I am not a fan of either Sony or Bose having demoed both extensively (multiple versions). I prefer to sacrifice and have a lighter touch to the ANC while giving better musical performance.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #818 of 2,191
So after focusing too much on PX7... I kept seeing mentions about the Dali IO 6... going through the thread of it and I'm not really seeing anything negative.... everybody seems to say these are the best and its not close

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #819 of 2,191
That's the most bizarre and anatomically impossible thing I've read in a long while.
Haha, actually I think my scalp is dented too. Slightly but it feels different now. I was having the same issue with the band putting a lot of pressure at the peak of my skull. Stretching them aggressively helped alleviate both the clamp on the jaws and the pressure at the top. They won't loosen up much naturally imo. It's just not well suited for certain head types

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #820 of 2,191
So after focusing too much on PX7... I kept seeing mentions about the Dali IO 6... going through the thread of it and I'm not really seeing anything negative.... everybody seems to say these are the best and its not close

I would say for sound it’s not close, no where near close, IMO the Dali is leagues ahead. For the rest though the PX7’s do as good or better, ANC is better, multi connectivity is better, app, it has one, transparent hearing is better, so it’s all a question of weighing up one’s priorities. Critical listening, get the Dali’s, travel around a lot, get the PX7’s.

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #821 of 2,191
I with agree with 100% Just got Dali IO6 I really love them I will be returning PX7 not even on the same level B&W PX7 sound is ok but not competing with Dali sound even after 60 hours burn I really did want to like B&W as I really loved B&W P7 but Dali i06 is the one for me.also the microphone is excellent when making calls

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #823 of 2,191
I’ve ultimately decided I’m keeping the Momentum 3’s and sending the PX7’s back.

The details the Momentum’s are uncovering in all the music I’ve listened to is just insane. I decided to forgive it for its weaker battery & ANC, the superb sound quality more than makes up for it (according to my ears at least).

If they didn’t exist, I’d more than likely have kept the PX7’s.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #824 of 2,191

I posting in dali io-6 thread before and I saying I don't liking io-6. I think the sound isn't good because is thin and little hollow, is good for orchestra in classical music or similar music but is sounding wrong with much music. The construction isn't good like b&o headphones (b&o headphones more more better big difference), in my opinion is looking dali little cheap with shiny parts and much plastic. The ear cups round isn't good for some ears (px7 more better here).

But I'm not happy with px7 sound and I returning last week. My favourite sound and construction is with momentum 3 wireless (Only the b&o having more good construction).

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #825 of 2,191
I posting in dali io-6 thread before and I saying I don't liking io-6. I think the sound isn't good because is thin and little hollow, is good for orchestra in classical music or similar music but is sounding wrong with much music. The construction isn't good like b&o headphones (b&o headphones more more better big difference), in my opinion is looking dali little cheap with shiny parts and much plastic. The ear cups round isn't good for some ears (px7 more better here).

But I'm not happy with px7 sound and I returning last week. My favourite sound and construction is with momentum 3 wireless (Only the b&o having more good construction).

I'm quite anxious how the PX7 sounds, since the PX was one of the most bafflingly bad headhones I've come across from an established brand in a long time, but I liked the P7 for casual listening, so I'm really hoping they went back to that sound, and didn't continue with the disjointed mess that was the PX... Certainly not a fan of the new plastic and fake material construction - I'm sorry, "carbon fiber" and "animal friendly materials".

But it sounds like the consensus of many us that the P7 is still better? Apart from the comfort that is, which is a rather unfortunate flaw...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back