Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 8, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #797 of 2,191
For those who recently mentioned the issues around inconsistency, are you referring to when hearing different sources (genre, mastering, etc) or inconsistency between perhaps different tracks on the same album? Sorry if I didn't read closely enough.

My experience, if I'm thinking about the same thing, is similar to the P7W on this one. The PX7 doesn't necessarily sound great with older CD's (1980s), "analogue"-sounding masterings, or the mono tracks I happen to have. It does work really well, however, on newer recordings (especially useful with the loudly mastered, modern albums) -- it may balance out the sound a little, and of course adds much more excitement than the PX's could. The PX's, however, provided a sound more "true" to the recording itself, and was a better fit for the older/analogue/mono masterings I mentioned above.

That said, I remember reading about the P7W having some "treble sparkle" and not understanding what exactly was meant by that, until I heard the P7W for myself -- I quickly realized that what I was hearing could be labeled that way. The PX7, however, so far doesn't seem as strong in this area.

Also, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, while both the P7W and PX headphones have recessed mids and vocals, the clarity was quite good on the P7W. The PX7 is not as strong in this area.

My primary concern at this point is about the treble possibly missing something (I hope I'm wrong, with time). I definitely need to listen more and put more hours in, but sometimes I do feel there may be some kind of veiled or muffled or even suffocating kind of sound on the high end. I believe a few others have posted about this. I don't hear it as harshness or causing ear fatigue, at least not yet -- though I haven't had the time to listen more, and perhaps there is some bias I have likening it to the P7W to some degree (which was not harsh and which caused me no fatigue whatsoever).

Hope to hear more people's comments about both inconsistency and treble.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #798 of 2,191
when hearing different sources (genre, mastering, etc)

This. The headphone is not performing inconsistenly. The PX7 have a treble spike around 10khz to add some brilliance to the treble. This will make poorly mastered recordings sound overly harsh and unpleasant, though. This 10khz spike is also known as the "Beyer-Peak". So if you've used a full-size Beyerdynamic headphone before, this sonic peculiarity will be very familiar. One caveat of this tuning is that it may "drown" other treble frequencies, which you may perceive as "missing something".

The PX7 have a peculiar sound signature indeed. But as mentioned before, these aren't meant for critical listening at home. The PX7 (as most other ANC headphones) are meant for the commute and traveling. A neutral, analytic frequency response won't give you much of an immersive experience when moving in a noisy and busy environment.

Have you still got your pxs ? How do you find the PX7 when listened to at home compared to the pxs ?

Yes I still have got my PX. For home/critical listening, it's definitely better than its successor. But they're sitting in a tight spot right now: I own two open-backed headphones and good IEMs for critical listening at home, so there's little reason for me to keep the PX. I'll use them for work, until B&W fix the pass-through function for the PX7.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #799 of 2,191
This. The headphone is not performing inconsistenly. The PX7 have a treble spike around 10khz to add some brilliance to the treble. This will make poorly mastered recordings sound overly harsh and unpleasant, though. This 10khz spike is also known as the "Beyer-Peak". So if you've used a full-size Beyerdynamic headphone before, this sonic peculiarity will be very familiar. One caveat of this tuning is that it may "drown" other treble frequencies, which you may perceive as "missing something".

The PX7 have a peculiar sound signature indeed. But as mentioned before, these aren't meant for critical listening at home. The PX7 (as most other ANC headphones) are meant for the commute and traveling. A neutral, analytic frequency response won't give you much of an immersive experience when moving in a noisy and busy environment.

Thank you. How would you compare what you hear with the PX7 with the P7W in this area, assuming you've heard it?

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #800 of 2,191

Couldn't agree more, also, no point discussing how PX7 don't compare to whatever you have in your collection, even my gf hears that.
But they are enjoyable and balanced enough for me.
Unfortunately they don't work in aptx hd, adaptive wirh my newly acquired Oneplus 7TPro

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #803 of 2,191
I’m by no means an expert but like most people in here I was in the market for a more comfortable version of my beloved P7 Wireless. I tried the PX when they were first release but couldn’t get on with them so waited and waited.

Now with the PX7 I thought I had finally found an alternative. I find them comfortable (after some initial break-in) they sound great (I like the ‘warmth/darker’ signature) and they are loud enough when paired with my iPhone.

However I made the mistake(?) of comparing them with my P7 Wireless and well the P7s are still better! The PX7 in comparison sound slightly muffled (I tried with all variations of NC too) and the volume does indeed seem limited after a certain point on the scale of the device (as others have noticed on this board). This was all in wireless mode, when I switched to wired, well the sound seemed to collapse for the PX7 completely and wasn’t anywhere near as loud. The P7 meanwhile sounded great wired or wireless....oh well just my thoughts...I will probably keep the PX7 just for comfort and slightly better ergonomics on the commute but damn I wished they were simply a more comfortable P7W in disguise!

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #804 of 2,191
I’m by no means an expert but like most people in here I was in the market for a more comfortable version of my beloved P7 Wireless. I tried the PX when they were first release but couldn’t get on with them so waited and waited.

Now with the PX7 I thought I had finally found an alternative. I find them comfortable (after some initial break-in) they sound great (I like the ‘warmth/darker’ signature) and they are loud enough when paired with my iPhone.

However I made the mistake(?) of comparing them with my P7 Wireless and well the P7s are still better! The PX7 in comparison sound slightly muffled (I tried with all variations of NC too) and the volume does indeed seem limited after a certain point on the scale of the device (as others have noticed on this board). This was all in wireless mode, when I switched to wired, well the sound seemed to collapse for the PX7 completely and wasn’t anywhere near as loud. The P7 meanwhile sounded great wired or wireless....oh well just my thoughts...I will probably keep the PX7 just for comfort and slightly better ergonomics on the commute but damn I wished they were simply a more comfortable P7W in disguise!

I have found the same, wired they seem to crumble sonically.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #807 of 2,191
Hello....

New to this thread, been following it for a bit... I'm in the market for my first over the ear ANC headphones.... I've had my eyes on the B&W PX7 but it seems like they've been a massive disappointment ? or are most of the review just nitpicking? I'll be traveling next month overseas and now not sure where to throw my money for a pair of headphones

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #808 of 2,191
Hello....

New to this thread, been following it for a bit... I'm in the market for my first over the ear ANC headphones.... I've had my eyes on the B&W PX7 but it seems like they've been a massive disappointment ? or are most of the review just nitpicking? I'll be traveling next month overseas and now not sure where to throw my money for a pair of headphones
I think you naturally tend to get more people who are disappointed wanting to discuss their shortcomings than happy people praising them.

i absolutely love mine, and I much prefer them to the previous PX. I also prefer them to the Sonys, and myriad other ANC headphones that I’ve tried.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #809 of 2,191
Hello....

In terms of ANC they’re pretty good at blocking out a lot of rumble and noise, better than their predecessor in my opinion. Comfort is also much improved.

The best ANC is generally considered as Sony’s XM3.

Sound Quality is hugely subjective, and you’ll find a lot of differing opinions, your best bet is to see if you can find somewhere to test them out.

It does have a rather interesting signature, that is starting to appeal to me, very immersive, with a lovely soundstage. I’m holding out to hope that the treble peak smoothes out a bit.

I’ve not made my mind up yet as to whether I’m keeping them over the Momentum 3’s, which have a fantastic sound signature, but very average ANC/battery.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #810 of 2,191
Hello....

I think if I didn't have the pxs then id be pretty happy with these as ANC on the go headphones. As for listening at home the sound signature isnt exactly well suited but I guess it comes down to what you want it for ... Travel or home use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back