Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Jun 2, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #1,716 of 2,191
Personally, I am looking to get the maximum lossless digital stream from a  device (Mac & iPhone) straight to the inbuilt DAC of the PX7 (where I believe the max handling is 24b 96k. I’m not too phased about it not being totally passive. From what I’ve read, even if you use a Lightning to USB dongle, then a dongle DAC (Dragonfly, THX Onyx etc), then 3.5mm to 3.5mm (ana), the PX7 digitises this analogue stream again before delivering in ana to the drivers. To me, this is overkill, and has redundant elements.

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #1,720 of 2,191
Apple Music on the phone -> bluetooth -> PX7?

You'll need to check which is the best codec that both support.
Thanks Roger, but I believe the upper “Hi-Res” tier from  MUSIC will require some wired hardware. As per the below:

1. CD Quality (16-bit/ 44.1kHz, standard lossless quality)
2. Lossless (24-bit/ 48kHz, better than CD Quality)
3. Hi-Res Lossless (24-bit/ 192kHz, requires dedicated hardware)

Tier 1&2 should be achievable over AptX over Bluetooth straight to the PX7’s built in DAC.

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #1,721 of 2,191
Thanks Roger, but I believe the upper “Hi-Res” tier from  MUSIC will require some wired hardware. As per the below:
1. CD Quality (16-bit/ 44.1kHz, standard lossless quality)
2. Lossless (24-bit/ 48kHz, better than CD Quality)
3. Hi-Res Lossless (24-bit/ 192kHz, requires dedicated hardware)

Tier 1&2 should be achievable over AptX over Bluetooth straight to the PX7’s built in DAC.
well, neither AAC, AptX or AptX HD are ”lossless” codecs. But I doubt you would be able to tell the difference on the PX7.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #1,723 of 2,191
Again… you have to test for yourself

I think you have to use camera adapter, the one with usb c and lightning ports. At least it worked with px…

Personally, I am looking to get the maximum lossless digital stream from a  device (Mac & iPhone) straight to the inbuilt DAC of the PX7 (where I believe the max handling is 24b 96k. I’m not too phased about it not being totally passive. From what I’ve read, even if you use a Lightning to USB dongle, then a dongle DAC (Dragonfly, THX Onyx etc), then 3.5mm to 3.5mm (ana), the PX7 digitises this analogue stream again before delivering in ana to the drivers. To me, this is overkill, and has redundant elements.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #1,724 of 2,191
Dude, I have IEM's and a bluetooth DAC/AMP from ESS that blows away any wireless full-sized headphone. And reading your post here just tells me you need to be patient for the wireless tech to catch up to the sound produced by wired sets. I want a sports sedan that sleeps 8, does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, and gets 99 mpg. But then there's reality:)

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #1,725 of 2,191
I don’t want to be misunderstood; I was never looking to achieve any form of lossless or Hi-Res over Bluetooth. The existing AptX/AptXHD are just fine in my opinion (especially considering noise cancelling capabilities of the PX7 and the fact that you can be “untied” from your source device).
But I don’t see a problem in looking for a wired solution with the same source device and headphone (bypassing Bluetooth) to experience the upcoming  lossless and Hi-Res formats.
What I like about the PX7 is the great built in DAC and overall sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back