Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
May 11, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,696 of 2,191
Not sure if anyone here got a pair of PX7s Carbon that's also manufactured in November 2020 but I'm experiencing a really annoying issue with the sound quality even after a replacement.

I've found both pairs, brand new, would occasionally produce high pitch clicks/pops while playing, at times can even cause distortion of the track.
First noticed this in tracks from Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons and Freedom PIANO STORIES 4.

Tested with following configurations while ANC is off:
  1. Connected to iPhone via BT, playing with Spotify (320kbs)
  2. Connected to Macbook Pro via BT (aptX), playing with Spotify (320kbps)
  3. Connected to Macbook Pro via USB-C, playing with Spotify (320kbps)
  4. Connected to Windows 10 Desktop via BT (aptX), playing with Spotify (320kbps)
  5. Connected to Windows 10 Desktop via USB-C, playing with Spotify (320kbps)
Got in touch with customer support, trying to identify the issue. Based on their suggestions, I made following changes:
  1. Use a different source of music, in this case I switched to Tidal Master from Spotify to ensure it's not an issue on sound quality.
  2. Reduce the bass via equaliser by 20db. I ended up using a system-wide equaliser on my Windows PC, though it's not the device I'd usually use.
  3. Turn down the volume (I was at 50%, now 40%)
  4. Include some more tracks like movie scores (Pacific Rim, Tron: Legacy) and J-POP (Yoasobi)
However the issue persists though less significant. The CS said it might be the case where part of these tracks passed the threshold of what PX7s can process, thus the overdrive/distortion.
I had the same issue. solved it by using aptx hd instead of aptx adptive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-052432.jpg
    Screenshot_20210512-052432.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
May 11, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,697 of 2,191
I had the same issue. solved it by using aptx hd instead of aptx adptive.
Yeah I thought it was related to the BT codec initially, since I first experienced it while using iPhone XS, which only supports AAC.
But I later encountered the same issue via aptX on Windows and even via USB-C connection directly.

In the past couple days I found that making by powering the headset off and then on again seem to resolve the issue consistently. Will test it in the next couple days to verify it furthermore.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,698 of 2,191
New PX7 owner here.
I already own the PX which I appreciate for their overall balance and clarity in the mids, but always felt like I was missing out on some bass. Rock was no fun.
So I picked up a pair of the classic and discontinued P7W - a real bargain used. They do NOT sound anemic. Zeppelin on high volume is great. But they also do not have ANC. And they are heavy, mainly due to the beautiful and luxurious materials used (leather and steel...). And the worst thing - as much as I like their sound signature, the internal electronics have a very noticeable noise floor when wireless.

So, after a few hours with the PX7, here are my thoughts:

Sound: no hissing, no white noise on bluetooth. Sounds great over AAC from the iPhone and excellent via USB-c from laptop. Loads of bass. Perhaps too much at times. Reminds me of the P7W except the P7W needs to be played loud to cover the hissing. Cant really decide if the PX7 are better or just "newer"...
Comfort: probably B&Ws most comfortably can to date. Had it on for 4-5 hours per day with zero issues. A little warm and sweaty due to the fake leather though.
Build quality: good and far better than Sony / Bose. A little loose buttons compared to the older B&W cans, but no rattling.
ANC: great, but not like the Sony XM4. However I think the passive isolation is pretty good and I do not feel that the sound quality is deteriorated like on the PX which sounds garbage when ANC is on (and on the PX the ANC only removes a small amount of constant low frequent noise, not like the PX7 that actually is useful in an office or on a commute).
Features / UX: absolutely flawless. I have none of the issues related to poor QC that others have reported. Only minor thing is that I wish the on/off switch was placed below the other buttons instead of above. I keep hitting it on accident, seems they changed the button layout slightly vs the other cans.

May 20, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #1,699 of 2,191
Not sure if anyone here got a pair of PX7s Carbon that's also manufactured in November 2020 but I'm experiencing a really annoying issue with the sound quality even after a replacement.

I've found both pairs, brand new, would occasionally produce high pitch clicks/pops while playing, at times can even cause distortion of the track.
First noticed this in tracks from Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons and Freedom PIANO STORIES 4.

Tested with following configurations while ANC is off:
  1. Connected to iPhone via BT, playing with Spotify (320kbs)
  2. Connected to Macbook Pro via BT (aptX), playing with Spotify (320kbps)
  3. Connected to Macbook Pro via USB-C, playing with Spotify (320kbps)
  4. Connected to Windows 10 Desktop via BT (aptX), playing with Spotify (320kbps)
  5. Connected to Windows 10 Desktop via USB-C, playing with Spotify (320kbps)
Got in touch with customer support, trying to identify the issue. Based on their suggestions, I made following changes:
  1. Use a different source of music, in this case I switched to Tidal Master from Spotify to ensure it's not an issue on sound quality.
  2. Reduce the bass via equaliser by 20db. I ended up using a system-wide equaliser on my Windows PC, though it's not the device I'd usually use.
  3. Turn down the volume (I was at 50%, now 40%)
  4. Include some more tracks like movie scores (Pacific Rim, Tron: Legacy) and J-POP (Yoasobi)
However the issue persists though less significant. The CS said it might be the case where part of these tracks passed the threshold of what PX7s can process, thus the overdrive/distortion.
In the past few days, I started to run into these extreme scenarios where the headphones just down right filled with static noise, on top of the previous issue. Though it can be resolved by restarting the headphones, it's still very very annoying.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znuw5vpkam5lmxs/IMG_0280.MOV?dl=0#

Will get in touch with B&W customer support again, hopefully this time they won't be that dismissive like last time.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #1,700 of 2,191
In the past few days, I started to run into these extreme scenarios where the headphones just down right filled with static noise, on top of the previous issue. Though it can be resolved by restarting the headphones, but it's still very very annoying.

Will get in touch with B&W customer support again, hopefully this time they won't be that dismissive like last time.
That sounds like a faulty device. I dont get any distortion from mine.

May 20, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,701 of 2,191
New PX7 owner here.
I already own the PX which I appreciate for their overall balance and clarity in the mids, but always felt like I was missing out on some bass. Rock was no fun.
So I picked up a pair of the classic and discontinued P7W - a real bargain used. They do NOT sound anemic. Zeppelin on high volume is great. But they also do not have ANC. And they are heavy, mainly due to the beautiful and luxurious materials used (leather and steel...). And the worst thing - as much as I like their sound signature, the internal electronics have a very noticeable noise floor when wireless.

So, after a few hours with the PX7, here are my thoughts:

Sound: no hissing, no white noise on bluetooth. Sounds great over AAC from the iPhone and excellent via USB-c from laptop. Loads of bass. Perhaps too much at times. Reminds me of the P7W except the P7W needs to be played loud to cover the hissing. Cant really decide if the PX7 are better or just "newer"...
Comfort: probably B&Ws most comfortably can to date. Had it on for 4-5 hours per day with zero issues. A little warm and sweaty due to the fake leather though.
Build quality: good and far better than Sony / Bose. A little loose buttons compared to the older B&W cans, but no rattling.
ANC: great, but not like the Sony XM4. However I think the passive isolation is pretty good and I do not feel that the sound quality is deteriorated like on the PX which sounds garbage when ANC is on (and on the PX the ANC only removes a small amount of constant low frequent noise, not like the PX7 that actually is useful in an office or on a commute).
Features / UX: absolutely flawless. I have none of the issues related to poor QC that others have reported. Only minor thing is that I wish the on/off switch was placed below the other buttons instead of above. I keep hitting it on accident, seems they changed the button layout slightly vs the other cans.
You obviously have the non carbon version as you say the bass is heavy. The carbon version sound very different, a lot less bass and meat on the bones, but no recessed vocals. Its so frustrating knowing what these cans are capable of and seeing b&w not providing an EQ facility to get the most out of them. Their in house EQ on both versions are way below par.

May 20, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #1,702 of 2,191
You obviously have the non carbon version as you say the bass is heavy. The carbon version sound very different, a lot less bass and meat on the bones, but no recessed vocals. Its so frustrating knowing what these cans are capable of and seeing b&w not providing an EQ facility to get the most out of them. Their in house EQ on both versions are way below par.
Correct, mine are the space grey version running FW 1.1. I have spent the last hour playing various genres flipping back and forth between the PX, P7w and PX7 and they are all good at different things but sadly also weak in a few areas. The PX7 seems to have more bass than the P7W, at least the sub bass, but it also bleeds into the mids a little. Or it is just an effect of the mids being less pronounced than on the P7W which has very forward mids.

Taking only the sound stage into account, I would prefer them for the following:

P7W: classical, older rock music, metal or harder rock
PX7: pop, electronic, RnB, hiphop
PX: acoustic singer song writer, or any music with very pronounced highs.

In terms of comfort and features the PX7 of course wins hands down unless you really NEED to run them passively or make phone calls which actually works better with both the PX and P7W (at least for me on iPhone). Looks, build quality and overall craftsmanship is another story - hard to beat the sheepskin leather and steel on the older cans.

So, one of the cans have to go. Question is which... :)

May 28, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #1,703 of 2,191
In the past few days, I started to run into these extreme scenarios where the headphones just down right filled with static noise, on top of the previous issue. Though it can be resolved by restarting the headphones, it's still very very annoying.

B&W CS said it might be interference from other devices, and if it can be resolved then there's no point going through the warranty process.

FWIW I have been testing the exact setup (and location) with different pairs of headphones since, including Sony MDR-1000X, Sony WH-1000XM4, and DALI IO-6.
All of them, alongside with Bose NC700 I no longer have, did not exhibit any sign of interference regardless via Bluetooth or USB-C (if possible).

May 28, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,704 of 2,191
Hello guys,
Newbie here.
Bought my carbon edition PX7 last week and love the sound quality.
But sadly, my wear sensor stopped working today. I tried everything including resetting the headphones to factory setting. But, no luck.
Something I've noticed is that when I completely switch off the wear sensor in the app, the white light on my headphone illuminates and stay on until I switch on the wear sensor back again.
Is it normal?
Overall, a bit bumped that a 400 Euro headphone is already giving me problems.

May 28, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,705 of 2,191
Hello guys,
Newbie here.
Bought my carbon edition PX7 last week and love the sound quality.
But sadly, my wear sensor stopped working today. I tried everything including resetting the headphones to factory setting. But, no luck.
Something I've noticed is that when I completely switch off the wear sensor in the app, the white light on my headphone illuminates and stay on until I switch on the wear sensor back again.
Is it normal?
Overall, a bit bumped that a 400 Euro headphone is already giving me problems.
Not sure about the light. But the sensor is sensitive to heat. Have you used them in direct sunlight?

May 28, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #1,708 of 2,191
As a matter of fact, yes. I was wearing it the whole afternoon while walking around the city and there was some sweat inside the earcups, when I took it off.
Right. One would think they should be able to withstand that kind of very light usage. I would let them cool down and try them in a few hours. If they dont work tomorrow it will be a simple rma.

May 30, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #1,709 of 2,191
Hi all. New here, so please forgive if already been discussed;
Considering the PX7, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Lightning to USB-C cable (that comes with all new iPhones) direct from the iPhone’s Lightning port to the USB-C input port on the PX7, thus using the internal onboard DAC. This would be a nice clean, neat solution, and should, to my mind allow full upcoming Apple Lossless enjoyment. Thanks

Jun 2, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #1,710 of 2,191
Hi all. New here, so please forgive if already been discussed;
Considering the PX7, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Lightning to USB-C cable (that comes with all new iPhones) direct from the iPhone’s Lightning port to the USB-C input port on the PX7, thus using the internal onboard DAC. This would be a nice clean, neat solution, and should, to my mind allow full upcoming Apple Lossless enjoyment. Thanks
Someone must have tried this. Pleeeeze 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back