Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Dec 19, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,552 of 2,912
Can someone please shares some insight in to how the PX handles an incoming signal. If it sees incoming Aptx, does it just amplify that signal or does it also run it through its DAC? I am hearing differences between music players and phones that I cannot explain. Going from phone to to Sony a35 it makes sense since the A35 is doing APTx vs AAC on the iphone, but the sound should be identical given identical files for the sony and something like the AK 70 MKk II, but it is not. I thought the PX ran everything through its digital domain then amplified it, what am I missing?

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,555 of 2,912
Just did another battery test over the last few days and it seems the battery has dropped quite substantial over six months of use. Brand new the battery lasted 26.5 hours the test over the last few days I got 17hours. Indentical circumstances, no ANC, Flac 16, Aptx hd ... Actually even listened to the music a lot softer on the recent test.

Hopefully this is not indicative of the battery decline every six months or I am in for some serious disappointment.

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,556 of 2,912
Just did another battery test over the last few days and it seems the battery has dropped quite substantial over six months of use. Brand new the battery lasted 26.5 hours the test over the last few days I got 17hours. Indentical circumstances, no ANC, Flac 16, Aptx hd ... Actually even listened to the music a lot softer on the recent test.

Hopefully this is not indicative of the battery decline every six months or I am in for some serious disappointment.

That is concerning.

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #2,558 of 2,912
If it sees incoming Aptx, does it just amplify that signal or does it also run it through its DAC? I am hearing differences between music players and phones that I cannot explain. Going from phone to to Sony a35 it makes sense since the A35 is doing APTx vs AAC on the iphone, but the sound should be identical given identical files for the sony and something like the AK 70 MKk II, but it is not. I thought the PX ran everything through its digital domain then amplified it, what am I missing?

I think aptX just creates a special encoding that the receiver (PX) needs to be able to understand. Your ears will then here the PX's D/A conversion along with signal processing of that transmission. I would think that one aptX encoder would be the same as any other, but maybe not? Maybe it varies with a device's ability to support a certain data bandwidth?

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #2,561 of 2,912
Just updated firmware. Soundstage now seems bigger on Office setting. Can someone who hasn't updated do an A/B test to see if it's only placebo?
I created a thread about this, i thought the same thing.

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,563 of 2,912
Can someone please shares some insight in to how the PX handles an incoming signal. If it sees incoming Aptx, does it just amplify that signal or does it also run it through its DAC? I am hearing differences between music players and phones that I cannot explain. Going from phone to to Sony a35 it makes sense since the A35 is doing APTx vs AAC on the iphone, but the sound should be identical given identical files for the sony and something like the AK 70 MKk II, but it is not. I thought the PX ran everything through its digital domain then amplified it, what am I missing?

Signal always goes through the DAC in the PX, regardless of input or format. With digital audio there is a lot more going on than just a file and format. And this qualifies for understatement of the year too... :k701smile:

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,565 of 2,912
Did anyone have trouble upgrading using iPhone app (over bluetooth)? It never went past the file transfer stage, ended up using the Bluetooth Utility to finish the upgrade.

iPhone Max with B&W app. The firmware update to v1.117 was uneventfully over and done with in 10 to 15 minutes the other evening.

I've also noticed the on head / off head sensors are a bit more perky as they sort of gave up previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back