Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 28, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #2,521 of 2,912
Spending my first hours with the PXs. Very happy by now, I expected a much worse first experience coming from the Beoplay H6. I don’t think they’re totally comparable at a sound quality level but I have to say the convenience of wireless and NC more than make up for it, at least in my use case.

One question: the iOS battery indicator always displays 100%, it’s the first Bluetooth device I have that doesn’t shows battery percentage correctly.. I can only see battery in the BW app... has anybody found this issue and know how to fix it? I have updated iOS, the app and the firmware with no luck.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #2,522 of 2,912
I don't use many bluetooth devices for my phone (just my PX and a Bose Soundlink color 2), but to me (and I could definitely be incorrect on this) it seems like the bluetooth battery icon in the top bar only shows the battery level as 100%, 50%, or ~20%. Apologies if my info is incorrect.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #2,524 of 2,912
Had to send my P7W since the glue had begun to leak over the summer. They still worked fine but I got a bit worried. B&W are sending me PX's instead of repairing my P7W and I am honestly worried. I love the sound signature of the P7W and I'm not looking for a more balanced headphone (Judging by the comments here, the PX have lass bass than the P7W). Guessing I'm going to have to sell these and find a used pair of P7s. sigh

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #2,525 of 2,912
Had to send my P7W since the glue had begun to leak over the summer. They still worked fine but I got a bit worried. B&W are sending me PX's instead of repairing my P7W and I am honestly worried. I love the sound signature of the P7W and I'm not looking for a more balanced headphone (Judging by the comments here, the PX have lass bass than the P7W). Guessing I'm going to have to sell these and find a used pair of P7s. sigh
The PX are a very different animal than the P7W. If you like the bass and richness of the P7W, you may not like the more accurate presentation of the PX. Although I have both and feel the PX, from a purely academic standpoint, sound better, I like the "fun" aspect of the P7W. For movies and to "feel" your music, the P7W is absolutely killer.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2,526 of 2,912
The PX are a very different animal than the P7W. If you like the bass and richness of the P7W, you may not like the more accurate presentation of the PX. Although I have both and feel the PX, from a purely academic standpoint, sound better, I like the "fun" aspect of the P7W. For movies and to "feel" your music, the P7W is absolutely killer.

I'll need to give the PX a fair go of course but like you say I definitely prefer a fun sound and mainly listen to Hip Hop, RnB, DnB or use them for movies so more bass is a must for me.

I don't really care for ANC if I'm being honest (I used and returned the 1000x and preferred the P7W when I got a chance to demo the 1000xm2) so I'm still a bit salty that I've probably got to go on a run around journey but who knows, the PX may do enough to impress me and make me keep them.

Edit: Bass response on the PX isn't for me. Told B&W I prefer the P7W and they're sending me those instead. Wish they'd done that in the first place but disaster solved either way.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #2,527 of 2,912
Hi. I own a set of B&W PX. I use them not for a long time so I am not having comfort problems for now. I own a Rotel RC-1590 preamp too. I have noticed that when I plug the B&W PX in the headphone port of the RC-1590 the hiss level is unaceptable. It is curious, but the combination Rotel RC-1590 with B&W PX is annoying. If I plug the B&W PX (analog connection) in other audio stuff the hiss level is normal (or quite normal), but in the RC-1590 is annoying. I have used other headphones in the same RC-1590 unit and there is a normal hiss. It's very strange!!

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #2,530 of 2,912
Picked up a pair of wired p7s for comparison. Here's my thoughts so far after a few hours of A/B testing. Using a sony nw A45 - both wired ( yes I realise B&W suggest the px are a wireless pair but they sound very good wired and also given more sound nuance due to more incremental volume adjustment of the A45). Flac files used (24bit & 16bit).
PXs have been used daily for 3 and a half months for 3-8hrs so thoroughly burnt in and ears adjusted to the sound.

- going back and forth my ears greatly appreciated the space of the PX earcups. Although personally prefer the look of the P7s with the PXs looking slightly cheap in comparison. Possibly due to the plastic used and colour. Pretty sure the P7s will still look smart in a decade where as not so sure about the PXs. Prefer the size of the PXs when out and about though.

- soundstage on the PX much better but also distant. I guess it's a preference but I quite like the airy soundstage the PX offers ... As if almost you can reach out and grab certain sounds. The extra depth of the cup allows sounds to swirl around and into your ear, which is imo a very intoxicating delivery of music.

- slight more bass on the P7s but not as tight or controlled as the PXs. Also the PXs represent all the different sources of bass extremely well with varied delivery, also when it needs to thump it most certainly does. Not sure if the P7s have that refinement in the lows as haven't used them enough yet.

- the one area I do prefer the P7s is in the midrange ... Especially when the song gets busy. This has been my only grievance with the PXs since owning them as when lots of instruments are being played certain instruments get lost all together and requires intense listening to the frequency to even hear them.

The P7s have a lovely mid range when it all gets busy in a track, allowing me to hear instruments / voices that I could only hear on the PXs but muddy and recessed in the mix.

I do prefer the lows and highs on the PXs though ... Especially the mid highs that literally dance around you in the soundstage.

- The P7s definitely have a very enjoyable engaging sound but I think I have got used to the clinical presentation of the PXs. I have found even before getting the P7s that the PXs really require you to listen more and when done they become fully engaging. Will keep testing throughout the week.

Music used today : Hendrick, Radiohead, Au revior Simone, Jeff Mills, Bjork, Hans Zimmer, Helena Hauff

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #2,532 of 2,912
Well, since the PX sounds at its absolute best when used with a USB-C cable wired to my Macbook, I would argue the opposite.

I don't. Like asspirin said, the PX is designed to sound it's best wireless. And it does. I compared a lot is my ears clearly tell me the same. B&W themselves say so too when I asked them (they are very responsive via FB Messenger). The best possible soundquality is via Bluetooth Aptx-HD. Followed by AAC and the SBC, which makes sense. USB-C playback is only there for conveniece to allow playback during charging.
Maybe your Macbook uses Aptx-HD while playback via your phone uses AAC or SBC? iPhones don't support Aptx(-HD) for instance.

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #2,533 of 2,912
I don't. Like asspirin said, the PX is designed to sound it's best wireless. And it does. I compared a lot is my ears clearly tell me the same. B&W themselves say so too when I asked them (they are very responsive via FB Messenger). The best possible soundquality is via Bluetooth Aptx-HD. Followed by AAC and the SBC, which makes sense. USB-C playback is only there for conveniece to allow playback during charging.
Maybe your Macbook uses Aptx-HD while playback via your phone uses AAC or SBC? iPhones don't support Aptx(-HD) for instance.

I guess wireless, AptX-HD sounds best, but since usb-c gives you uncompressed (via tidal Mqa) audio, this should produce the best possible audio quality on the PX. If the difference is audible for human beings is a thief discussion though...

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #2,534 of 2,912

Users who are viewing this thread

Back