Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Sep 20, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,491 of 2,912
so, after a full year with my PX I've actually ditched them. while they did get *more* comfortable over time than they started, they found equilibrium after about 2 months and stopped improving. unfortunately, at this point I still have issues wearing them for longer than a couple hours at a time before the pressure points on the top of the head and behind the ears get too bad. additionally, I also found my neck getting sore if I wore them for too long due to the extra weight. maybe my head is just too big, but I had to give up despite loving how they sound.
that being said, the initial reviews for the Sony WH 1000xm3 were fantastic, with nearly every one calling out comfort, so I pulled the trigger and am THRILLED so far. they were immediately some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (right up there with my Sennheiser HD700) and sounded *almost* as good as the PX. I won't lie, the PX still have the edge on pure sound quality, but the massively improved comfort level of the xm3 is worth it if only so I can wear them longer to keep others from bothering me (software dev, open office). as a bonus the noise cancelling on the Sonys is just incredible, not even in the same tier as the PX and I've noticed near-zero noise quality dropoff when using it.
so, if you're looking for pure wireless sound quality and don't need something to wear for extended periods I would still say go for the PX. however, if you're looking for something to wear all day at the office you may have issues with the comfort level.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,492 of 2,912
I've never experienced any discomfort with the PX so I guess I'm lucky.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #2,493 of 2,912
depends on your usage pattern I'd guess. I can wear them just fine for an hour or two, but I need them for just about a full 8 - my work day minus a few quick meetings and trips for water/bathroom, and for this they were useless

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2,494 of 2,912
depends on your usage pattern I'd guess. I can wear them just fine for an hour or two, but I need them for just about a full 8 - my work day minus a few quick meetings and trips for water/bathroom, and for this they were useless
I'm getting close to a year with them and have noticed great improvements in comfort. I purchased the headphones in November last year, and used them extensively at work, during my commute, and on short flights for work. In May of this year, I flew to Korea and Japan, and had some issues with comfort. Usually, after 3 or 4 hours, I'd need to take them off for a break. This September, I flew to Paris and Amsterdam from Canada (a 7 and 8 hour flight), and wore the headphones the entire journey without any discomfort or fatigue. I know different people have different comfort levels, but I'm absolutely loving them.

The only issue that I just realized today is that on one side of the headband, the ballistic Kevlar material has fallen out of its fold and is now exposed. I'm going to see if I can tuck it back in the crevice tonight, but I'm kind of miffed as I do take good care of them. Anyone else have this issue?

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #2,495 of 2,912
I'm getting close to a year with them and have noticed great improvements in comfort. I purchased the headphones in November last year, and used them extensively at work, during my commute, and on short flights for work. In May of this year, I flew to Korea and Japan, and had some issues with comfort. Usually, after 3 or 4 hours, I'd need to take them off for a break. This September, I flew to Paris and Amsterdam from Canada (a 7 and 8 hour flight), and wore the headphones the entire journey without any discomfort or fatigue. I know different people have different comfort levels, but I'm absolutely loving them.

The only issue that I just realized today is that on one side of the headband, the ballistic Kevlar material has fallen out of its fold and is now exposed. I'm going to see if I can tuck it back in the crevice tonight, but I'm kind of miffed as I do take good care of them. Anyone else have this issue?

see, I have similar issues to your reported discomfort after 3-4 hours of continuous wear but they never went away, even after nearly a full year of daily use (received my pair 10/5/17). I also took a few flights during this time and was unable to wear the PX for the entire duration due to discomfort.

as for your "unfolding" issues, I actually have experienced a similar problem on my pair, but with the leather on the inside of the headband, not the nylon on the outside. It looks like the leather is peeling out from where it was tucked into the metal caps that transition between the headband and earcups and every time I pushed it back in (even using tools) it unfolded back out rather quickly.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #2,497 of 2,912
Given the relatively short time the PX is on the shelves I would be surprised if B&W would bring out a new wireless model already.

I don't have any comfort issues either so I'm lucky too I guess. But, that said, I never wear them more than 3/4 hours or so in one stretch. I'm amazed to read how many hours some users have their headphones on. Wow... :astonished:

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #2,498 of 2,912
so, after a full year with my PX I've actually ditched them. while they did get *more* comfortable over time than they started, they found equilibrium after about 2 months and stopped improving. unfortunately, at this point I still have issues wearing them for longer than a couple hours at a time before the pressure points on the top of the head and behind the ears get too bad. additionally, I also found my neck getting sore if I wore them for too long due to the extra weight. maybe my head is just too big, but I had to give up despite loving how they sound.
that being said, the initial reviews for the Sony WH 1000xm3 were fantastic, with nearly every one calling out comfort, so I pulled the trigger and am THRILLED so far. they were immediately some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (right up there with my Sennheiser HD700) and sounded *almost* as good as the PX. I won't lie, the PX still have the edge on pure sound quality, but the massively improved comfort level of the xm3 is worth it if only so I can wear them longer to keep others from bothering me (software dev, open office). as a bonus the noise cancelling on the Sonys is just incredible, not even in the same tier as the PX and I've noticed near-zero noise quality dropoff when using it.
so, if you're looking for pure wireless sound quality and don't need something to wear for extended periods I would still say go for the PX. however, if you're looking for something to wear all day at the office you may have issues with the comfort level.
I tested out the 1000XM3 and did find it far more comfortable than the 1000XM2 (which I still own). They did improve upon all aspects, no doubt there, however, the build quality is lesser, IMHO. As someone who has business interests in plastics and manufacturing (I don't run the business, I'm simply hold an ownership interest), I can tell you with near certainty that the plastic, although lighter, is a lower grade. To be fair, the design is much better, so the requirement for higher tensile strength is likely unnecessary as it relates to cost/intended performance. It does still feel quite cheap, however.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,499 of 2,912
Quick question,

I found a B & W P7 on Amazon, it has options for both wired and wireless. I want the original wired one but i'm a bit suspicious as i thought it had been discontinued. Are there still dealers that have it/ is it legit?

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #2,501 of 2,912
Anyone else having trouble with the headphones not cutting off when you lift an ear since the last firmware update? It usually doesn't even stop if I fully remove the headphones now.

It may not be the firmware update, but that seems to be about when it started.

They worked fine for the first few weeks. Is this a common failure? Can I return them to the dealer or do I have to go to B&W support?

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,502 of 2,912
Anyone else having trouble with the headphones not cutting off when you lift an ear since the last firmware update? It usually doesn't even stop if I fully remove the headphones now.

It may not be the firmware update, but that seems to be about when it started.

They worked fine for the first few weeks. Is this a common failure? Can I return them to the dealer or do I have to go to B&W support?
I've had this same issue. I tried changing the sensitivity, but still the same issue. I'm sure they will address it in the next firmware update.

Are you Android (I am) or iPhone?

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #2,503 of 2,912
Mine do this too. Ok until they get warm though. If I push the reset button under the right earpad then restart them and go to the app it works on all settings with the correct degrees of sensitivity. Goes wonky again next time I use them though. It’s always my right one that plays up first as it gets hot.

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,505 of 2,912
I do most of my listening using an iPhone and can't say it sounds any different from my Honor 10 which supports aptX HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back