Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #2,581 of 2,912
I have noticed Best Buy is now only listing the PX as in store only. There is no option to ship. Curious is there a newer model coming or is BB just selling through. I picked up Sony XM3 last week and they are nice and comfy and sound good but wanting to try PX again. I had a pair shortly after release and they were a little buggy. I remember they sounded excellent. I returned them due to operation issues. There have been many firmware updates since. I have also tried the H9i which I also returned due to the sibilance issues. The H9i’s are my favorite build design but sound is more important.

I think the firmware upgrades have made my PX's more usable and useful. I love them, but wish they were as comfortable as my M&D MW60's ear cups. I have smallish ears, and for over ears they just fit as over ears. Of course the M&D has no sound attenuation. So on the go the PX's are in my bag.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,582 of 2,912
I think the firmware upgrades have made my PX's more usable and useful. I love them, but wish they were as comfortable as my M&D MW60's ear cups. I have smallish ears, and for over ears they just fit as over ears. Of course the M&D has no sound attenuation. So on the go the PX's are in my bag.
Well I am pleasantly surprised by my second try of the PX. The sound is liquid smooth and very dimensional. The bass is very tight, punchy and controlled with great low end extension. The ANC works well and is enough. Actually once you switch to city or flight the soundstage narrows slightly and matches the Sony XM3 soundstage in all of its modes. The manual control buttons and being able to connect to 2 BT devices at once is very welcomed! With the XM3 I need to bump some higher frequencies up with the eq to fit my liking but PX are almost perfect as they are. The PX ear pads are not as comfy as XM3 but the PX are fine after a few minutes of acclimating. Actually once you get used to the PX fit they are very secure and never feel loose while moving around. So far the PX check off more like boxes for me than the XM3.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #2,583 of 2,912
... So far the PX check off more like boxes for me than the XM3.
I wish that I had this experience as I purchased the PX first and intended to stop there, but the comfort was absolutely a deal breaker for me and it did not get better with time. I just could not wear the PX without being very uncomfortable and eventually in pain. I completely agree about the sound, the PX is lovely sounding. I find the XM3 equal to the PX in every aspect of sound quality, but only after some bass is trimmed back. The treble is pristine as well with the XM3 so in my experience the PX has the stock signature nailed; however, the XM3 can easily match it with some simple equalization. Where the XM3 simply obliterates the PX is in comfort, and while for many this isn't a deal breaker with the PX, it certainly was for me, very much so and I owned and simple loved the P7 wireless.

I throw down the glove to you B&W, duplicate the PX sound signature without the terrible clamp. I understand that the clamp was designed to maintain a tight seal which is crucial to NC and bass performance, but Sony managed to completely dial both in while also being comfortable so B&W needs to answer the challenge. Regardless of how good a headphone may sound, that is meaningless if you can't wear it without pain. I think B&W has to accept that a little style may need to be sacrificed in order to achieve the NC and sound quality goals. My best guess is that the style was so important to B&W that the aesthetic design was put first and the sound team had to achieve their design goals based on maintain the aesthetics which forced them into the very firm pads and tight clamping force.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,584 of 2,912
I wish that I had this experience as I purchased the PX first and intended to stop there, but the comfort was absolutely a deal breaker for me and it did not get better with time. I just could not wear the PX without being very uncomfortable and eventually in pain. I completely agree about the sound, the PX is lovely sounding. I find the XM3 equal to the PX in every aspect of sound quality, but only after some bass is trimmed back. The treble is pristine as well with the XM3 so in my experience the PX has the stock signature nailed; however, the XM3 can easily match it with some simple equalization. Where the XM3 simply obliterates the PX is in comfort, and while for many this isn't a deal breaker with the PX, it certainly was for me, very much so and I owned and simple loved the P7 wireless.

I throw down the glove to you B&W, duplicate the PX sound signature without the terrible clamp. I understand that the clamp was designed to maintain a tight seal which is crucial to NC and bass performance, but Sony managed to completely dial both in while also being comfortable so B&W needs to answer the challenge. Regardless of how good a headphone may sound, that is meaningless if you can't wear it without pain. I think B&W has to accept that a little style may need to be sacrificed in order to achieve the NC and sound quality goals. My best guess is that the style was so important to B&W that the aesthetic design was put first and the sound team had to achieve their design goals based on maintain the aesthetics which forced them into the very firm pads and tight clamping force.

I totally agree and I may eat my words in a few days. I am back and forth between the two right now and the XM3’s are oh so comfy. I have started having a little fatigue wi the PX after several hrs today....

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #2,585 of 2,912
I totally agree and I may eat my words in a few days. I am back and forth between the two right now and the XM3’s are oh so comfy. I have started having a little fatigue wi the PX after several hrs today....
What a shame, the PX are stunning sounding so for those lucky enough not to have comfort issues, the PX are a full on sonic treat.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #2,586 of 2,912
As I listen back and forth between the PX and XM3 the PX are very dimensional sounding. They have a very wide and open 3D sound whereas the XM3 sound like all of the vocals and instruments are stuck to a thin line like birds sitting on a power line. The PX sound more like birds perched throughout a tree and you are in the middle of that tree. Now I am trying to see if I can live with the clamp force and thin ear pads.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2,587 of 2,912
Well the PX are not going to work... just when you think they are comfortable enough. they are not. My second issue with the PX is that for 80% percent of the various things I listen to they sound really good and the other 20% sound terrible. So I am now between H9i which are my first choice for now then xm3. The H9i are very comfy and well built and sound great. The XM3 sound great also but a tad muddy. The H9i are currently on sale for $386 from $499 while XM3 are $350. When picking up the XM3 they feel like a dollar store toy while the H9i feel like you could hang them off your belt and circumnavigate the Earth. The ANC on the Sony are the best but the H9i are close.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,588 of 2,912
Well the PX are not going to work... just when you think they are comfortable enough. they are not. My second issue with the PX is that for 80% percent of the various things I listen to they sound really good and the other 20% sound terrible. So I am now between H9i which are my first choice for now then xm3. The H9i are very comfy and well built and sound great. The XM3 sound great also but a tad muddy. The H9i are currently on sale for $386 from $499 while XM3 are $350. When picking up the XM3 they feel like a dollar store toy while the H9i feel like you could hang them off your belt and circumnavigate the Earth. The ANC on the Sony are the best but the H9i are close.
I owned and loved the Beoplay H7 back a bit now and agree about the build quality and sound quality of B&O. My issue was, and I hear it is the same with the newer models including the H9i, that the maximum volume level is just too low if you favour louder playback volume as I do. I had the H7 on full always, even with hot modern recordings and found it just acceptable. If I played older, more dynamic, but quieter recordings the volume was simply not adequate. That is why even now I do not consider the B&O line. They are annoying with their hearing protection. That should be left up to the user to decide.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,589 of 2,912
Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of these headphones, in terms of sound quality I think is it the best from what I had before, love the design and can't complain about battery life. However, there are a couple things, that bothering me, these are mostly about usability. I may happen I'm doing something wrong as I haven't had wireless headphones before, so I'd appreciate your help:

1. I use the headphones with both an iPhone and a Macbook Pro and haven't managed to find an easy way to switch between them. Every time I want to switch from mac to iphone, I have to turn off then turn on the headphones, then to iphone's bluetooth settings to connect. The same way it works the other way around. When you need to do it several time through the day, it may become tiring. Ideally, I'd prefer some option, that allow me switching profiles on the headphones, so they connect automatically, without the need to dive into settings.
2. When connected to Mac, MacOS picks up the headphone's mic as a default input source as result the headphones starts playing mono by some reason. And if you switch to the input source, for example to mac's built-in mic, the headphones start playing in full quality. But when you want to use the phones as a headset, you need to go the setting again and once again once you finished a call. Too many moves and that is really annoying sometimes.

Cheers,

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #2,590 of 2,912
Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of these headphones, in terms of sound quality I think is it the best from what I had before, love the design and can't complain about battery life. However, there are a couple things, that bothering me, these are mostly about usability. I may happen I'm doing something wrong as I haven't had wireless headphones before, so I'd appreciate your help:

1. I use the headphones with both an iPhone and a Macbook Pro and haven't managed to find an easy way to switch between them. Every time I want to switch from mac to iphone, I have to turn off then turn on the headphones, then to iphone's bluetooth settings to connect. The same way it works the other way around. When you need to do it several time through the day, it may become tiring. Ideally, I'd prefer some option, that allow me switching profiles on the headphones, so they connect automatically, without the need to dive into settings.
2. When connected to Mac, MacOS picks up the headphone's mic as a default input source as result the headphones starts playing mono by some reason. And if you switch to the input source, for example to mac's built-in mic, the headphones start playing in full quality. But when you want to use the phones as a headset, you need to go the setting again and once again once you finished a call. Too many moves and that is really annoying sometimes.

Cheers,
That's an typical Mac problem. Switching between my Android and Windows device goes flawlessly.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #2,591 of 2,912
That's an typical Mac problem. Switching between my Android and Windows device goes flawlessly.

Yes, on the problem switching (Mac/Apple) devices. The other day I had my PX using my iMac as a source. I put the iMac to sleep, and went to another part of the house where I tried to use my Apple Watch 4th Gen. to stream to the PX headphones. Instead the headphone connection woke up my iMac. I had to go back and disconnect.

I don't know, 1st world problem? But I also have a heck of a time pairing my PX's to my 4th Gen. Apple TV. I suppose I need to make sure I've disconnected from my iPhone, Apple watch, my iMac, and my iPad before using the Apple TV with the PX.

I also usually have to reset the PX via the B&W app. on my iPhone/iPad before I can get the PX connected to my Apple TV. Solution, buy several PX headphones :wink: ?

Don't get me wrong. I still love my Apple devices and PX. Maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #2,592 of 2,912
Yes, on the problem switching (Mac/Apple) devices. The other day I had my PX using my iMac as a source. I put the iMac to sleep, and went to another part of the house where I tried to use my Apple Watch 4th Gen. to stream to the PX headphones. Instead the headphone connection woke up my iMac. I had to go back and disconnect.

I don't know, 1st world problem? But I also have a heck of a time pairing my PX's to my 4th Gen. Apple TV. I suppose I need to make sure I've disconnected from my iPhone, Apple watch, my iMac, and my iPad before using the Apple TV with the PX.

I also usually have to reset the PX via the B&W app. on my iPhone/iPad before I can get the PX connected to my Apple TV. Solution, buy several PX headphones :wink: ?

Don't get me wrong. I still love my Apple devices and PX. Maybe I'm missing something?
1. The PX can be connected to two devices at a time (which is a luxury, Sony can only handle one).

2. What you want is switching between five different active Bluetooth devices, which is an impossible task for any Bluetooth peripheral known to man.

3. According to your description, Bluetooth is always switched on, which is a serious security risk. I would advise against that.

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #2,594 of 2,912
Could you please elaborate this bit? That would solve my problem
Copypasta from the Instruction Manual:

"Your PX headphones can remember up to eight
paired Bluetooth devices. It is possible for two
devices to be connected simultaneously to
enable, for example, music to play from one
device while telephone calls are taken from
the other."

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,595 of 2,912
1. The PX can be connected to two devices at a time (which is a luxury, Sony can only handle one).

2. What you want is switching between five different active Bluetooth devices, which is an impossible task for any Bluetooth peripheral known to man.

3. According to your description, Bluetooth is always switched on, which is a serious security risk. I would advise against that.

Never thought of BT as a security risk! Thanks for the information. Heck, I use BT keyboard and trackpad with my iMac. I guess on my iPhone and iPad I should turn BT off. I do use BT on my iPhone in the car. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back