Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 24, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #2,536 of 2,912
Spending my first hours with the PXs. Very happy by now, I expected a much worse first experience coming from the Beoplay H6. I don’t think they’re totally comparable at a sound quality level but I have to say the convenience of wireless and NC more than make up for it, at least in my use case.

One question: the iOS battery indicator always displays 100%, it’s the first Bluetooth device I have that doesn’t shows battery percentage correctly.. I can only see battery in the BW app... has anybody found this issue and know how to fix it? I have updated iOS, the app and the firmware with no luck.

Thanks in advance!

Have mine since last December and it works correctly for me

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #2,537 of 2,912
Well, since the PX sounds at its absolute best when used with a USB-C cable wired to my Macbook, I would argue the opposite.
It doesn’t though and Bowers & Wilkins has said as much. Have used them with my MacBook Pro wired and not. Listening to it right now on my Windows laptop with it connected to it with a USB C to USB C cable and its not better then wireless with my iPhone X. Definitely not better then Apt x when I had a Note 8.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #2,538 of 2,912
Has anyones app got stuck on the opt in location screen ? Happened a few times but a reinstall solved the problem. Unfortunately not the case this time. Now my headphones are stuck on city mode if I want to use anc. Seems to be a common problem according to the reviews of the app.

Not good at all B&W.

Edit - just figured a work around. Switch off BT, open app, will open on the stuck screen, switch on BT and the app should connect. Android 9.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #2,539 of 2,912
I regrettably have to return my PX's again, as the button that toggles noise cancellation (rarely used in fact) has developed an issue when it no longer 'clicks' like the other buttons, and fearful this would become non-responsive over time, I have sent the second pair back.

Both had the same fault. They are (the original, and the replacement) less than a year old combined.

Love the product, but this is pretty crap to be honest :S

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,540 of 2,912
I regrettably have to return my PX's again, as the button that toggles noise cancellation (rarely used in fact) has developed an issue when it no longer 'clicks' like the other buttons, and fearful this would become non-responsive over time, I have sent the second pair back.

Both had the same fault. They are (the original, and the replacement) less than a year old combined.

Love the product, but this is pretty **** to be honest :S

That's a shame ... Sorry to hear that.

I had a pair that had all he buttons completly recessed offering no tactile feedback when pressed. Currently I don't use the buttons at all in the pair I own to prevent failure. Maybe I should as if they are going to fail best they do in the warranty period.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #2,541 of 2,912
The only issue that I just realized today is that on one side of the headband, the ballistic Kevlar material has fallen out of its fold and is now exposed. I'm going to see if I can tuck it back in the crevice tonight, but I'm kind of miffed as I do take good care of them. Anyone else have this issue?

Same here, unfortunately. I also take good care of the cans but recently noticed about 2cm of fabric had become dislodged from its mounting on the rear, as per the attached photo.

My wife has managed to tuck it back in, but long term this really won't do, though can live with it for now.

So, what to do? I've about eighteen months of John Lewis warranty remaining. What I'm going to do is sit it out in the hope that B&W bring out another pair of wireless headphones and upgrade to the new cans, paying the difference if necessary. If not, I'll replace them just before the expiry date of the warranty. The reason for this is is because I'm pretty certain that this would happen again to a replacement PX as it appears to be an inherent design issue.
2018-11-27 10.51.56.jpg

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #2,542 of 2,912
Going crazy this week.

Auditioning headphones to go with my Fiio M9
It has both LDAC & APTX HD Bluetooth

But I have discovered that the LDAC benefit to 96k 24bit file playback (improved sounds age depth & fantastic super high frequency reproduction) of the Sony WH1000X M3 is TOTALLY ruined by its bonkers bass boost. :triportsad: (Applying corrective eq disables LDAC - gahh!! It needs FIVE db of 70 hz reduction IMHO - that's redonculous!

APTX HD on the Sony comes in a very close 2nd place.

So I am hoping the B&W PX will have a flatter frequency response and my 96k & 192k files will sound good via atpx hd.

The PX style suits me better

The controls on the Sony's annoyed me I didn't find them intuitive.

Also It was really worrying me that the Sony couldn't pair with my Fiio M9 AND my iPhone at the same time.

It's gong to take me a while to get over my week long failed LDAC adventure. (Depressing.... Boo hoo!)

Chime in / cheer me up?

Am going to love the PX's?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,543 of 2,912
Going crazy this week.

Auditioning headphones to go with my Fiio M9
It has both LDAC & APTX HD Bluetooth

But I have discovered that the LDAC benefit to 96k 24bit file playback (improved sounds age depth & fantastic super high frequency reproduction) of the Sony WH1000X M3 is TOTALLY ruined by its bonkers bass boost. :triportsad: (Applying corrective eq disables LDAC - gahh!! It needs FIVE db of 70 hz reduction IMHO - that's redonculous!

APTX HD on the Sony comes in a very close 2nd place.

So I am hoping the B&W PX will have a flatter frequency response and my 96k & 192k files will sound good via atpx hd.

The PX style suits me better

The controls on the Sony's annoyed me I didn't find them intuitive.

Also It was really worrying me that the Sony couldn't pair with my Fiio M9 AND my iPhone at the same time.

It's gong to take me a while to get over my week long failed LDAC adventure. (Depressing.... Boo hoo!)

Chime in / cheer me up?

Am going to love the PX's?

I know it's a few days later, but if you are just worried about wireless sound quality, you'll probably love the PX. I demo'd them for a while before returning them when I got the XM3's. The PX were just too uncomfortable. I wasn't able to try them with LDAC or aptx-HD (I used my iPhone with AAC).

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #2,547 of 2,912
Out of curiosity ...

When listening via BT out of the 15 increments in volume level what volume do you use ?

Using these daily up to 6 hours I'm thinking about the effect on my hearing !

I can't remember exactly what it was (since I returned my PX's for the Sony XM3's), but I know it was higher than what I use for the XM3's. My sony's are at ~40%, I believe the PXs were at ~60 or so. If you're using them for up to 6 hours, I would be more worried about the comfort :) The ANC isn't as good as the XM3's, so I had to listen to the music louder on the PX to compensate. But that depends on where you're listening. For me, it was a loud bus mostly

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,550 of 2,912
It doesn’t though and Bowers & Wilkins has said as much. Have used them with my MacBook Pro wired and not. Listening to it right now on my Windows laptop with it connected to it with a USB C to USB C cable and its not better then wireless with my iPhone X. Definitely not better then Apt x when I had a Note 8.

You may both be right depending on the source material. While US BC may not be the ideal connection if he has a higher resolution and better recorded set of files on his computer it may very well be more enjoyable to listen to you than worse quality files from a noisy cell phone Bluetooth connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back