Bowers & Wilkins P3
Jun 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #76 of 169
Awesome review! But could you also comment on the isolation? Is it on par with the P5?

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #77 of 169
Isolation is really low, so it doesn't isolate that much unfortunately.  They aren't made for that reason either :p  The V-Moda M80s seem to isolate much better than the BWs despite the unventelated design of the BW and the more open design of the V-Moda. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #78 of 169
Shame, would have bought these as a portable pair for my daily commute.. Thanks for the info!

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #79 of 169
Quote:
Shame, would have bought these as a portable pair for my daily commute.. Thanks for the info!

Yup :frowning2:  I do wish they isolated better.  It's enough for me for most occasions, but not enough for a commute depending on how filled the bus/train would be.  If you're walking around in a hallway of a college campus or something, they would definitely be enough (so long as music is playing :))

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #80 of 169
Update on the leaking sound...  I listen to them at a comfortable level (70-80 dB) and had no signs of leaking.  Results may vary though depending on sound levels.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #82 of 169
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the update. I really want to get these.

Nice, they are a great headphone overall... 

If anyone wants a comparison to any of the following headphones let me know (sorry for the small selection, I don't own too many headphones as I'm more of an IEM guy, trying to change that though :wink:):
  1. Philips CitiScape Downtown (MSRP 99)
  2. Pioneer STEEZ 808 (MSRP 129)
  3. V-Moda M80 (MSRP 200)

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #85 of 169
Quote:
please compare it with the philips

OK, you lucked out.  I was able to get the Philips working again (had to twist the cup, I don't think they'll last much longer though :frowning2:).  I do have comparisons:
  1. Bass: The Philips offer an extremely punchy sound that is tight with great accuracy.  There is a nice deep texturing to them that is delicate with decent presence.  The Philips' bass body is about the smallest I've ever heard.  They are not Etymotic small, but still small.  The P3s on the other hand digs a little deeper than the Downtown while able to have more boom which comes with more impact as well.  There is a good punch to the P3s as well, but it isn't as tight as the Philips.  Although it's rare, the P3s can become overpowering at times.  I'd say they are at a similar level, P3 may have an edge, but it comes down to preference more than anything.
  2. Mids: Detailed, energetic...  We can start off with that for the Downtown.  They are the Downtown's strength offering a slightly rougher sound to the P3s.  Excellent clarity helps the Downtown quite a bit over the P3s as well.  One spot I did miss was the dynamics as the P3 outdid the Philips in that category.  The P3 offers a much smoother sound with greater dynamics in comparison.  It may not be as clear, but the clarity is nothing to laugh at.  Where the Philips do beat the P3 is with detailing, they are just more detailied.  The P3s do have a good amount of energy with a hint of sweetness (they are much warmer) in comparison to the Downtown.  Once again, preference comes into play, but I think the Downtown have this one secured.
  3. Highs: This is the weakness of both headphones.  I did find the highs on the Downtown to become sibilant every once in a while, and it smeared more than I wanted it to.  This, of course was in the lower highs.  They have good extension, which leads to good energy and detailing in general.  The P3s do beat out the Philips in just about every category except for energy.  Although rolled off, the smearing is left to a minimum while the sibilance is just about absent in comparison.  Sizzles and sparkles sound much ore natural and separate much more clearly.  P3s take this one by a landslide.

Up until you hit the high end, it really becomes a terms of preference, fun, smooth signature vs light and detailed signature.  The high end is what makes the P3s the better phone in my mind. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #86 of 169
thanks for the effort sir.
im glad to know that i would choose now the p3 over the downtown.
i really hate sibilance.
though downtown maybe detailed, its really more enjoyable to listen to your music in a more relax presentation.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #87 of 169
Quote:
thanks for the effort sir.
im glad to know that i would choose now the p3 over the downtown.
i really hate sibilance.
though downtown maybe detailed, its really more enjoyable to listen to your music in a more relax presentation.

Most definitely, glad I can help :)

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #88 of 169
Quote:

Nice, they are a great headphone overall... 

If anyone wants a comparison to any of the following headphones let me know (sorry for the small selection, I don't own too many headphones as I'm more of an IEM guy, trying to change that though :wink:):
  1. Philips CitiScape Downtown (MSRP 99)
  2. Pioneer STEEZ 808 (MSRP 129)
  3. V-Moda M80 (MSRP 200)

Hi there Tinyman392,

Can you please compare these to the V-Moda M80s? I bought the v-moda 'cause I couldn't afford the bowers and wilkins P5 but maybe it's time for the P3s :D 

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #89 of 169
Quote:
Hi there Tinyman392,

Can you please compare these to the V-Moda M80s? I bought the v-moda 'cause I couldn't afford the bowers and wilkins P5 but maybe it's time for the P3s :D 

I'll do this either later today, or tomorrow morning. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #90 of 169
I had some time tonight, so without further ado: It's the black vs the white...  P3s vs M80s (my M80s are white :p).  Let's skip the forplay and get straight down to business.  Both headphones offer an extremely similar signature, and in my mind, are at equal quality levels that comes down to preference.
  1. Bass: The bass on the M80s is better balanced with the P3s that have a bigger presence since the lower-bass (right below the mid-bass) is bigger on the P3s than the M80s.  The M80s seem to be a tad faster than the P3s in terms of bass.  Otherwise, both of them try to go after a more solid bass style, although the M80s have better fluidity, delicacy, and texturing in comparison to the P3's bass.  I will say that the P3s do do one thing better than the M80s, punch.  The bass is simply punchier as the balance between the mid and low bass is better done than the M80s where it is low-to-sub-bass driven.  The P3s do have a tendency to go overboard once in a while while the M80s will rarely do it (if ever).  This round results in a draw.
  2. Mids: The P3s offer a much warmer sound in comparison to the M80s.  Although the M80s destroy the P3s in terms of energy, they don't destroy in terms of detailing, but are slightly more detailed.  There are times when I feel that the M80s can have a little better vocal dynamic to them as well as energy.  Although they both offer the same amount of vocal energy, the dynamics on the P3s are just better than the M80s.  Clarity is really a mixed bag as the M80s do a better job with the lower mids and the P3s doe it better with the upper-mids.  The P3s try to go after an extremely smooth sound while the M80s fights for a sound that is better balanced through the whole spectrum in the midrange.  The high end is no different.  I think this one should be a draw...  The M80s do a good job keeping it clean through the entire spectrum but the P3s have absolute beautiful job with the lush vocals that have a touch of sweetness to them bundled with a smooth, warm midrange.
  3. Highs: OK, both headphones roll off the highs.  Neither really does it to an extent that kills sparkle.  However, the M80s do have a tad bit mroe sparkle and splash to them in comparison to the P3s, which is a good thing.  This switches off when you go to the lower highs though.  Snare smacks don't seem as hard hitting on the M80s as they do on the P3s.  Both are able to hold energy throughout on their own merit, but do it at different places.  Overall, the P3s offer better slightly better clarity and energy.  The M80s do a better in terms of separation.  They both do details well, but the M80s outdo the P3s still.  The P3s are crispier than the M80s, but this can also backfire at times for them though.  The M80s treble is technically a little better than the P3s.

Overall, the M80s are technically better than the P3s in the highs, but the differences are small.  I still consider them on the same audio quality level myself as preference would send someone to take one over another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back