Bowers & Wilkins P3
May 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #46 of 169
Quote:

Unfortunately not...  These clamp the least of my headphones thought (Grado SR60, Philips Downtown, SOL Tracks, Koss Striva Pro).  I'm able to wear glasses comfortably as well with them (thin frame metal frame; not thick plastic) while with both the grado and Downtown I'm not able to (I have not tested the Tracks with glasses, too lazy to right now; I don't want to take off the P3 :p).

Can you measure the pad size for me? (w and h)

May 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #47 of 169
They are tiny. 62mm x 48mm or 2.5 in x 1.875 in (all approx).

Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message :p

May 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #48 of 169
I'm going to give maybe one or two impressions before my review is posted.  It's been about 24 hours with the headphones, about 20-22 hours burn in (spent a few hours opening up, taking pictures, etc).  The initial impression is positive, they have changed, sound wise though in the first day of break in.  Overall, it's a good sound though, I do like them a lot.

First word of the day is smooth.  The P3s offer a really nice smooth signature that is warm and inviting with a focus on the low end.  Treble is recessed two notches, midrange has a bit of warmth to it without destroying the energy and sweetness in a voice.  Bass is extremely powerful, with good impact and texture.  It could be a bit much at times though.

Bass
  1. The bass, first and foremost, is a notch or two above balanced, being the focus of the headphones.  They offer great power, but still remain controlled the majority of the time.  They don't intrude with the mids, and dig deep.  This allows for nice texture, though not delicate.  A large body embodies the entire bass, which at times can be too big for its own good, this is rare though.  There is big impact with these with more of a focus on the mid bass.

Mids
  1. The C5s were veiled and lost energy due to it.  I think Bowers and Wilkins did a much better job with the P3.  The sound is more revealing, and actually has energy behind it despite being warm and smooth.  Detailing is good for what it is and most details are retrievable.  Clarity is actually really good with these headphones.  Soundstage is quite good as well, nothing to really complain about here since the separation and layering of instruments works nicely.  It's not huge, about average really. 

Highs
  1. Similar to how Walmart is with their prices, Bowers and Wilkins did with the highs; it's rollback time!  These highs are laid-back, but still good in quality.  They offer decent sparkle, although could use a little more energy.  Separation is good as well, like with the mids.  Clarity is hit or miss with these, at times you'l lhear the highs perfectly clear, other times, they end up lost.  Detailing is good despite that though.  Overall, the highs are rolled back and are what they are.

I may not have liked the C5 signature for being too veiled, too powerful, intrusive bass, the P3 is a different story. 

Tinyman out (for now :))

May 27, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #52 of 169
Great first impressions, tinyman392! These seem very promising... 
beerchug.gif

May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #53 of 169
Update, one two things.  First, mids are coming in nicely.  Bass is controlling itself further, still not perfectly controlled though, but doing better.  Second deals with the comfort.  Although these don't clamp, the padding still isn't enough that it can cause some discomfort on the ears after about an hour and a half (causes some tenderness).  I've had this same thing before with other headphones though, it normally goes away after about a week.  Hopefully this is the same. 

Stay tuned.

May 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #54 of 169
Quote:
Update, one two things.  First, mids are coming in nicely.  Bass is controlling itself further, still not perfectly controlled though, but doing better.  Second deals with the comfort.  Although these don't clamp, the padding still isn't enough that it can cause some discomfort on the ears after about an hour and a half (causes some tenderness).  I've had this same thing before with other headphones though, it normally goes away after about a week.  Hopefully this is the same. 

Stay tuned.

Awww, sounds like the P5...

May 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #57 of 169
Quote:
I'm going to give maybe one or two impressions before my review is posted.  It's been about 24 hours with the headphones, about 20-22 hours burn in (spent a few hours opening up, taking pictures, etc).  The initial impression is positive, they have changed, sound wise though in the first day of break in.  Overall, it's a good sound though, I do like them a lot.

First word of the day is smooth.  The P3s offer a really nice smooth signature that is warm and inviting with a focus on the low end.  Treble is recessed two notches, midrange has a bit of warmth to it without destroying the energy and sweetness in a voice.  Bass is extremely powerful, with good impact and texture.  It could be a bit much at times though.

Bass
  1. The bass, first and foremost, is a notch or two above balanced, being the focus of the headphones.  They offer great power, but still remain controlled the majority of the time.  They don't intrude with the mids, and dig deep.  This allows for nice texture, though not delicate.  A large body embodies the entire bass, which at times can be too big for its own good, this is rare though.  There is big impact with these with more of a focus on the mid bass.

Mids
  1. The C5s were veiled and lost energy due to it.  I think Bowers and Wilkins did a much better job with the P3.  The sound is more revealing, and actually has energy behind it despite being warm and smooth.  Detailing is good for what it is and most details are retrievable.  Clarity is actually really good with these headphones.  Soundstage is quite good as well, nothing to really complain about here since the separation and layering of instruments works nicely.  It's not huge, about average really. 

Highs
  1. Similar to how Walmart is with their prices, Bowers and Wilkins did with the highs; it's rollback time!  These highs are laid-back, but still good in quality.  They offer decent sparkle, although could use a little more energy.  Separation is good as well, like with the mids.  Clarity is hit or miss with these, at times you'l lhear the highs perfectly clear, other times, they end up lost.  Detailing is good despite that though.  Overall, the highs are rolled back and are what they are.

I may not have liked the C5 signature for being too veiled, too powerful, intrusive bass, the P3 is a different story. 

Tinyman out (for now :))

I would agree with most of this.  I noticed a slight muddiness in the range of male vocals.  Overall , pretty good sound.  I will say though, they are overwhelmingly comfortable and extremely well built!  To me, they feel a little more solid than the P5, which has a great build quality in its' own right.

May 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #58 of 169
Quote:

I would agree with most of this.  I noticed a slight muddiness in the range of male vocals.  Overall , pretty good sound.  I will say though, they are overwhelmingly comfortable and extremely well built!  To me, they feel a little more solid than the P5, which has a great build quality in its' own right.

Muddyness cleared up a little for me, but it can still lose control every now and then.  These are comfortable compared to most other headphones I have, still a little discomfort after a hour or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back