Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 30, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,472 of 5,134
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I know this is about the bathys but I find it to be a very funny thread. Confirms my thoughts from earlier though that the DSP in the Px8 is doing significant work.

The variation on the Bathys may not directly come from the DSP - the latter might actually reduce it. But it's possible that the ANC / feedback system implementation mandated some choices to be made that increased the Bathys' sensitivity to coupling issues above where the feedback range operates, up to a few kHz.

I have often measured in situ, with in ear, blocked ear canal entrance microphones, how various headphones behave under pad compression, I've written a little post here : https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...se-use-of-the-harman-curve.29633/post-1087051

A lot of ANC headphones I've measured under such conditions show quite a variable response in the range above the feedback range and up to a few kHz, even when run passively or wired. I'd be surprised if one way or another the PX8 didn't suffer from such issues across some parts of the spectrum.

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #1,473 of 5,134
The variation on the Bathys may not directly come from the DSP - the latter might actually reduce it. But it's possible that the ANC / feedback system implementation mandated some choices to be made that increased the Bathys' sensitivity to coupling issues above where the feedback range operates, up to a few kHz.

I have often measured in situ, with in ear, blocked ear canal entrance microphones, how various headphones behave under pad compression, I've written a little post here : https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...se-use-of-the-harman-curve.29633/post-1087051

A lot of ANC headphones I've measured under such conditions show quite a variable response in the range above the feedback range and up to a few kHz, even when run passively or wired. I'd be surprised if one way or another the PX8 didn't suffer from such issues across some parts of the spectrum.
All extremely interesting points. I love this science. My ultimate takeaway is that you can’t (with anc/DSP cans) take the measurements as a gospel as to how you personally will hear them.

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,474 of 5,134
All extremely interesting points. I love this science. My ultimate takeaway is that you can’t (with anc/DSP cans) take the measurements as a gospel as to how you personally will hear them.

That is also my opinion, but I'll qualify it : the presence of a feedback mechanism precisely means that there will be less variation across individuals than typical closed back, at lower frequencies. Across the feedback range, measurements should be very reliable if the feedback system is effective, and provided there is no volume dependent EQ.
Above it, I guess that it depends a lot on the exact headphones and how the FR actually varies across individuals when normally worn.

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #1,475 of 5,134
I have much more experience with stereo/home theatre than headphones/earphones.
But after several years of calibrating different stereo systems, I know that my preferred sound is very neutral, except +2db up to 80hz, and minus 2db from 1khz-4khz.
So, maybe if I use the PX8 with a 1 or 2db bass cut and treble boosted by 1 or 2db they will be close enough? The angled carbon drivers might give something that the HD600's can't. But would the PX8 still be near the clarity and detail of HD600's?
But then I read that the HD600's wouldn't respond well to a 2 or 3db bass boost.
And in the house I'm not sure what would be better, open back for a more spacious sound, or the PX8 with angled drivers for the sound to be more from the front.
As for portability, I dont think that a shorter cable and small BTR7 will be that cumbersome on the HD600's.
So it's impossible to find definite answers on a forum. I'll have to experiment with both to find out.
Thanks for the replies.
It will be interesting to see how you like the headphones. But if you are a sucker for true neutral sound I doubt you will get close to this with the B&W. Also keep in mind that they get a slight bass boost when ANC is on. This can be eq:ed for sure, but you will still end up with a ”warm” sound.

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #1,476 of 5,134
It will be interesting to see how you like the headphones. But if you are a sucker for true neutral sound I doubt you will get close to this with the B&W. Also keep in mind that they get a slight bass boost when ANC is on. This can be eq:ed for sure, but you will still end up with a ”warm” sound.

I like sound that's just slightly on the warm side of neutral, but extremely clear and detailed. Not easy to find. Especially around $1,000.
I've had much more expensive gear, just don't want that right now, or hopefully I can find happiness well under $10k this time.

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,477 of 5,134
I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed with the PX8, but hoping the front biased soundstage will do enough for me.
Also really hoping that the HD600's will be very similar SQ to Etymotic er4xr but with better tone.
Maybe I'm also just more of an iem guy. After listening regularly to a calibrated home theatre and then the wf1000xm4 and mtw3 earbuds, I started not liking my RME adi-2 dac/LCD-3F combo and sold it. I tried to EQ it a few times with little success, but it was also me not wanting a headphone system that I'm tethered to.
I want a headphone system that I can at least get up and walk to a different room easily with.

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,478 of 5,134
I like sound that's just slightly on the warm side of neutral, but extremely clear and detailed. Not easy to find. Especially around $1,000.
I've had much more expensive gear, just don't want that right now, or hopefully I can find happiness well under $10k this time.

If you came looking for happiness, you picked the wrong hobby haha

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #1,479 of 5,134
Oct 30, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #1,480 of 5,134
No 80dB is not quiet. I dont think you need to worry then, PX8 will definitely sound as they should on that volume.

However, if you intend to compare them with the HD600 (which I also happen to have) I can tell you already now that they are as similar as ice cream and bacon
Bacon_ice.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #1,481 of 5,134
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I know this is about the bathys but I find it to be a very funny thread. Confirms my thoughts from earlier though that the DSP in the Px8 is doing significant work.
Totally makes sense, I remember when I first got Elegia I played around pushing the headphone inward due to the deep pads to investigate, and the sound changed tremendously. If you add to this that some peoples jaws create small openings below the pad, as one user mentioned in this thread with the PX8, variation of how the sound actually appears in the earcup cavity is tremendous.

I ought to add another feature I seldom see anyone discuss is ears. Literally a gigantic, irregular surface right in the middle of the 'room'. Imagine setting up speakers with an object like that in the room! Whatsmore ear shape and size varies significantly, and this in turn will alter the standing waves in the cavity to a considerable degree.

All said and done headphones are very individual imo.

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,482 of 5,134
Totally makes sense, I remember when I first got Elegia I played around pushing the headphone inward due to the deep pads to investigate, and the sound changed tremendously. If you add to this that some peoples jaws create small openings below the pad, as one user mentioned in this thread with the PX8, variation of how the sound actually appears in the earcup cavity is tremendous.

I ought to add another feature I seldom see anyone discuss is ears. Literally a gigantic, irregular surface right in the middle of the 'room'. Imagine setting up speakers with an object like that in the room! Whatsmore ear shape and size varies significantly, and this in turn will alter the standing waves in the cavity to a considerable degree.

Hear, hear.
Had my brother in law for dinner today and let him try my new PX8. His immediate impression was ”nice build, like the leather, but the sound waaay worse than my Bose”…

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #1,483 of 5,134
Hear, hear.
Had my brother in law for dinner today and let him try my new PX8. His immediate impression was ”nice build, like the leather, but the sound waaay worse than my Bose”…
He didn't like PX8? No wonder you ate him!

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #1,484 of 5,134

Having now spent extensive time with both the bathys and the Px8 I can tell you that ear shape is gonna play a ton into each can. B&W if the angled drivers don’t hit your ears right you’d have 0 shot of enjoying them. Bathys? No seal no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back