Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 29, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #1,456 of 5,138
Sorry to ask again - anyone know if these cans have been measured? I know it's not the be-all, but I reckon for the asking price they should perform pretty well on the bench. I'm considering a pair and pretty much have to buy sight unseen as stock is only arriving in December (in S.A) and I have to put an order in to reserve stock.

I've read all the comments and most of the reviews which are overwhelmingly positive. I guess I'm just looking for extra reassurance.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #1,457 of 5,138
Cool, thats good to know. I do worry that a lot of the price tag on the 8 is due to the "flashy" contruction that really doesnt appeal to me too much as i didnt have any issues with the px7. Only really interested in improvements in sound quality.Maybe i should start saving.
Well of course you get marginal sound quality returns from paying that premium over the already good PX7s2. But the SQ is higher. Not dramatically different but its there.
Also I think most heads and ears would appreciate the fit and seal improvements that the premium materials result i.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #1,458 of 5,138
Sorry to ask again - anyone know if these cans have been measured? I know it's not the be-all, but I reckon for the asking price they should perform pretty well on the bench. I'm considering a pair and pretty much have to buy sight unseen as stock is only arriving in December (in S.A) and I have to put an order in to reserve stock.

I've read all the comments and most of the reviews which are overwhelmingly positive. I guess I'm just looking for extra reassurance
I dont know if they have been measured or how they would fare. But honestly, why does it matter? IMHO either you like how they sound or you do not.

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #1,460 of 5,138
Reading that the PX8 won't sound as good at quieter volume will be a deal breaker. I probably only listen at around 80db peaks, maybe less.
I have PX8's coming around November 10th, and HD600's and a Fiio BTR7 combo coming around November 2 to compare. I don't need closed back headphones necessarily because I also have wf1000xm4 and mtw3 earbuds for on the go.
Hopefully the BTR7 will power the HD600's to decent levels. And if this combo is a clear winner over the PX8's for sound quality, I'll mount the small BTR7 and the cable on top of the headphones. Don't care what it looks like when inside the house.
The HD600/BTR7 combo also comes in at $250 less than PX8, can be used wired, or also use LDAC and EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #1,461 of 5,138
After skipping the Px7s2, waiting for the Px8, then skipping those for lack of a use case, I finally fell for the Px8 007 Edition -- for 100,- extra it just has to be fantastic, doesn't it?
I don't like branding and cooperations on products too much, seeing branding often as just too much, of bad taste or killing the focus of a product, I kind of like what B&W did with the Px8 though. Maybe except for the 007 logo on the top of the cups, but at least it's not too visible. I do like the color with the red accent, and I like the image on the driver covers. So this was more of a visual decision.

After receiving them yesterday I listened for maybe 30min, and yes, they do sound nice. Deep reaching bass (which I love) with quite good resolution, missing a tad of upper bass (which I seldom say) for a bit more defined kick. Mids are excellent, voices sound intriguing. Treble is not harsh or overdone, yet offers enough detail. Soundstage is OK as far as electronica goes, but not something that immediately wows me. Did not turn off ANC as this is most probably how I'd use them.

I'm very happy that B&W went with physical buttons, can't stand touch interfaces on headphones. They feel very nice in hand and, even more important, on head: comfort is really good and the cups are quite deep with the angled drivers.

Some nitpicking: the logo would have looked better shortened to B&W and in a more subdued color. Technically it may be nice how this is done (laser cutting or whatever), but I prefer more subtlety.

I don't use EQ, but 2-band? Come on!

Would be nice to know if batteries can easily be changed. Taking off the pads there are several screws visible with what looks like Torx to me... but since I have yet to decide if they get permanent residence, I'll ask B&W support how much battery service is going to cost. Same for replacement pads... but since pads for other models are available, I guess the Px8 pads will show up eventually.

4023F214-BE4F-4AFE-834B-691C225FEBAB.jpeg042A945A-76B2-4B45-97BD-B58FADE6425A.jpegF0E1BB9D-C716-468A-9770-E125DB87B041.jpeg1DCA1A40-6D64-4D49-B789-42174ED2B3D5.jpegF0200388-73DA-4403-A4FB-163572A1EF7E.jpeg

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #1,462 of 5,138
Reading that the PX8 won't sound as good at quieter volume will be a deal breaker. I probably only listen at around 80db peaks, maybe less.
I have PX8's coming around November 10th, and HD600's and a Fiio BTR7 combo coming around November 2 to compare. I don't need closed back headphones necessarily because I also have wf1000xm4 and mtw3 earbuds for on the go.
Hopefully the BTR7 will power the HD600's to decent levels. And if this combo is a clear winner over the PX8's for sound quality, I'll mount the small BTR7 and the cable on top of the headphones. Don't care what it looks like when inside the house.
The HD600/BTR7 combo also comes in at $250 less than PX8, can be used wired, or also use LDAC and EQ.
Is 80 dB really considered "quiet"?. See here. I listen at 70-80 dB as well and would've thought of that as more of an average listening level. So my question is: Does one need to listen higher than 80 dB for the PX8 to sound it's best?

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #1,463 of 5,138
Is 80 dB really considered "quiet"?. See here. I listen at 70-80 dB as well and would've thought of that as more of an average listening level. So my question is: Does one need to listen higher than 80 dB for the PX8 to sound it's best?
No 80 is def not quiet they will sound fine. I was thinking 50-60 lol

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #1,464 of 5,138
No 80dB is not quiet. I dont think you need to worry then, PX8 will definitely sound as they should on that volume.

However, if you intend to compare them with the HD600 (which I also happen to have) I can tell you already now that they are as similar as ice cream and bacon… Both good but completely different, Sennheiser aiming at neutral tuning and B&W seems like they could care less about that. And of course you are aware that the Senn required both cabling, DAC/amp and also leaks both ways due to the open design.

I use my open Sennheisers only a few times per week, when kids or wife are not home and I get to sit down in my home office. And even in these circumstances I find myself reaching for a wireless can so that I can get up without tripping on the cable… :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,465 of 5,138
Sorry to ask again - anyone know if these cans have been measured?

I have yet to see any measurements for them. Resolve has mentioned that he's waiting to receive them.
Les Numérique is often quite rapid to get review samples and measure them, but their methodology is super nebulous, their compensation curve looks nonsensical and I don't find their results exploitable, particularly above 800-1kHz. They already measured the PX7 S2 : https://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-nomade/bowers-wilkins-px7-s2-p69683/test.html

I know it's not the be-all, but I reckon for the asking price they should perform pretty well on the bench.

I am skeptical that price necessarily is a good indicator of SQ :D.

I got to try them yesterday, albeit in non-ideal conditions, so no opinion on SQ from me, but one thing that immediately struck me for both the PX7 S2 and PX8 is how constrained the ear cups are in their range of motion upwards. This can be illustrated by that photo from Les Numériques above :

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 08.56.29.png

Not everyone will be affected depending on your anatomy, but for me their propensity to breach seal was even higher than the Airpods Max, which design shouldn't work as well as it does in that regard. This is not good design.

On the other hand I found the materials and feel to be a nice throwback to the B&W of old (P5, P7) in all the best ways. The PX/PX7PX7 S2 felt a bit cheap in comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,466 of 5,138
I got to try them yesterday, albeit in non-ideal conditions, so no opinion on SQ from me, but one thing that immediately struck me for both the PX7 S2 and PX8 is how constrained the ear cups are in their range of motion upwards. This can be illustrated by that photo from Les Numériques above :

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 08.56.29.png

Not everyone will be affected depending on your anatomy, but for me their propensity to breach seal was even higher than the Airpods Max, which design shouldn't work as well as it does in that regard. This is not good design.
Hard to judge from a photo so I am holding my pair in my hand now. Have tried to get a look in the mirror and I must say that the guy in the picture either has a completely different head shape than I, or he is not wearing them right. On me the yoke offers enough movement without being blocked, I get a pretty even compression of the pads and no issues with the seal. The pads are pretty soft do not sure it would be an issue anyway.
The biggest design flaw IMHO is the size of the ear cups which is ok for me but probably too small for some ears. Also I noticed that since the clamping force is less than e.g. PX or PX7s1 the tend to move around more. I would not like this if my use case was gym, walking or generally mobile. On the other hand any of those scenarios would make me choose IEMs instead…

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #1,467 of 5,138
No 80 is def not quiet they will sound fine. I was thinking 50-60 lol
Probably listen much quieter than 80db then, I was going by reference of my home theatre system average volume. About 70-75db average with 80db peaks.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #1,468 of 5,138
Probably listen much quieter than 80db then, I was going by reference of my home theatre system average volume. About 70-75db average with 80db peaks.
How do you measure this? How sound pressure is percieved out of a headphone and how it sounds in a room with speakers is quite different.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #1,469 of 5,138
No 80dB is not quiet. I dont think you need to worry then, PX8 will definitely sound as they should on that volume.

However, if you intend to compare them with the HD600 (which I also happen to have) I can tell you already now that they are as similar as ice cream and bacon… Both good but completely different, Sennheiser aiming at neutral tuning and B&W seems like they could care less about that. And of course you are aware that the Senn required both cabling, DAC/amp and also leaks both ways due to the open design.

I use my open Sennheisers only a few times per week, when kids or wife are not home and I get to sit down in my home office. And even in these circumstances I find myself reaching for a wireless can so that I can get up without tripping

How do you measure this? How sound pressure is percieved out of a headphone and how it sounds in a room with speakers is quite different.
That's why I haven't measured how loud I listen to headphones and earphones. Haven't bothered to try. I just know that I don't listen very loud compared to many others.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,470 of 5,138

I use my open Sennheisers only a few times per week, when kids or wife are not home and I get to sit down in my home office. And even in these circumstances I find myself reaching for a wireless can so that I can get up without tripping on the cable… :)
I have much more experience with stereo/home theatre than headphones/earphones.
But after several years of calibrating different stereo systems, I know that my preferred sound is very neutral, except +2db up to 80hz, and minus 2db from 1khz-4khz.
So, maybe if I use the PX8 with a 1 or 2db bass cut and treble boosted by 1 or 2db they will be close enough? The angled carbon drivers might give something that the HD600's can't. But would the PX8 still be near the clarity and detail of HD600's?
But then I read that the HD600's wouldn't respond well to a 2 or 3db bass boost.
And in the house I'm not sure what would be better, open back for a more spacious sound, or the PX8 with angled drivers for the sound to be more from the front.
As for portability, I dont think that a shorter cable and small BTR7 will be that cumbersome on the HD600's.
So it's impossible to find definite answers on a forum. I'll have to experiment with both to find out.
Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back