Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 31, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #1,502 of 5,138
So my PX8s arrived today! I’m smitten.

Question for the crew - has anyone noticed a difference in clarity streaming tidal through the B&W app versus the Tidal App directly? I’m noticing a meaningful improvement when I run it through the B&W app 🤷🏼‍♂️

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #1,503 of 5,138
Still yet to see a good in depth comparison to the PX7 S2, but I'm curious about them and what the better drivers of the pX8 add to the equation.

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #1,504 of 5,138
So I thought this might be a useful comparison. Don’t mind my ugly mug, but here’s my head on all 3 of the tippy top cans. Px8, Bathys, and ML 5909. They all have radically different head feels.
Gotta say the Tan PX8 is a great headphone when worn in terms of aesthetics. I prefer the Stellia outright on a stand, or a VC, but in terms of how the tan PX8 just pop against skin tones. Really nice design as a part of an outfit for out and about use.

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #1,505 of 5,138
Gotta say the Tan PX8 is a great headphone when worn in terms of aesthetics. I prefer the Stellia outright on a stand, or a VC, but in terms of how the tan PX8 just pop against skin tones. Really nice design as a part of an outfit for out and about use.
After looking at the pictures again, what struck me the most was just how big the 5909 was those suckers absolutely protrude massively off my head

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #1,506 of 5,138
I have now 40 hrs and 32 mins and 11% battery remaining after first full charge. This is 95% with ANC and transparency off and with volume average of 55%, I think, in iphone and that isn't quiet at all or low volume, at least for me.

This is excellent. Is looking like 45 hrs (with my use) and the battery dying, or maybe little more, or less! And I mentioning this again now, that the battery is showing decrease in % very accurately, never jumping big percentages.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,507 of 5,138
I have now 40 hrs and 32 mins and 11% battery remaining after first full charge. This is 95% with ANC and transparency off and with volume average of 55% in iPhone, I think, and that isn't quiet at all or low volume, at least for me.

This is excellent. Is looking like 45 hrs (with my use) and the battery dying, or maybe little more, or less! And I mentioning this again now, that the battery is showing decrease in % very accurately, never jumping big percentages.
Yes this is very, very good and looks like B&W is understating the battery on these babies.
I was always very satisfied with the battery on my P7W, PX and PX7 so it is not a surprise.
I have yet to give my PX8 a full charge, but they came with 69% charge and after my 6 days of daily use they are down to 53%. I didnt log the hours but I believe 2-2,5 hours per day, listening at moderate levels, mainly with ANC on. No way the battery indicator is linear though...

Oct 31, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,508 of 5,138
Yes this is very, very good and looks like B&W is understating the battery on these babies.
I was always very satisfied with the battery on my P7W, PX and PX7 so it is not a surprise.
I have yet to give my PX8 a full charge, but they came with 69% charge and after my 6 days of daily use they are down to 53%. I didnt log the hours but I believe 2-2,5 hours per day, listening at moderate levels, mainly with ANC on. No way the battery indicator is linear though...

This percentages you're giving are very strange, specially with ANC on!

I'm looking at the percentages since my first full charge many times and, in general, the percentage showing is close with consistent accuracy, always changing in very small increments, but I know isn't perfect still, of course, but is, in my experience, many better than majority of others BT (ANC) headphones with this type of information.

Is strange that b&w advertising 30 hrs with ANC on but they're don't saying nothing about when ANC is off, and after doing my test, I think this is very good marketing for b&w because (many?) people, like me, aren't always activating ANC or transparency.

The H95, for example, is advertising 38 hrs with ANC on and 50 hrs with ANC off (in my test is more close to 60 hrs with no ANC or transparency). So, the difference in the h95 is about 30% between ANC on or off in their documents (even when I testing 60 hrs with ANC off). So, if at the end I getting about 45 hrs, with ANC off, minus 30% is 31,5 hrs for px8, so maybe b&w is giving good estimate.

(I will not testing px8 how many hours with only ANC on with 55% volume because I don't have this necessity, but I'm curious now.)

Oct 31, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,509 of 5,138
So my PX8s arrived today! I’m smitten.

Question for the crew - has anyone noticed a difference in clarity streaming tidal through the B&W app versus the Tidal App directly? I’m noticing a meaningful improvement when I run it through the B&W app 🤷🏼‍♂️
That's interesting.. I don't know about Tidal, but there is no appreciable difference for Qobuz using their app vs via the B&W app.

Oct 31, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #1,510 of 5,138
This percentages you're giving are very strange, specially with ANC on!

I'm looking at the percentages since my first full charge many times and, in general, the percentage showing is close with consistent accuracy, always changing in very small increments, but I know isn't perfect still, of course, but is, in my experience, many better than majority of others BT (ANC) headphones with this type of information.

Is strange that b&w advertising 30 hrs with ANC on but they're don't saying nothing about when ANC is off, and after doing my test, I think this is very good marketing for b&w because (many?) people, like me, aren't always activating ANC or transparency.

The H95, for example, is advertising 38 hrs with ANC on and 50 hrs with ANC off (in my test is more close to 60 hrs with no ANC or transparency). So, the difference in the h95 is about 30% between ANC on or off in their documents (even when I testing 60 hrs with ANC off). So, if at the end I getting about 45 hrs, with ANC off, minus 30% is 31,5 hrs for px8, so maybe b&w is giving good estimate.

(I will not testing px8 how many hours with only ANC on with 55% volume because I don't have this necessity, but I'm curious now.)
I would guess you’re an oddity in the non-anc use case. I can’t think of any reason to not have it on. Most people I know only use them with ANC on.

Either way I’d say the marketing logic is that 30 is a big enough number to sound impressive, and it’s the number with all features turned on, so it’s a win win from a marketing standpoint.

Oct 31, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,511 of 5,138
I would guess you’re an oddity in the non-anc use case. I can’t think of any reason to not have it on. Most people I know only use them with ANC on.

Either way I’d say the marketing logic is that 30 is a big enough number to sound impressive, and it’s the number with all features turned on, so it’s a win win from a marketing standpoint.

Is strange that you insisting almost always answering or commenting my posts. I suggesting before you ignoring my posts. Please think about this again. Seriously. But because you are replying, I responding now too, because apparently we very often don't agreeing.

You can seeing many posts in different ANC headphones threads where some people saying ANC isn't important. This is one reason I writing "(many?)". For many people the idea of not using cables is already a BIG advantage, and some (many?) of this people want spending more money for good sound, comfort and good quality construction. People aren't always travelling or in loud places needing ANC. Some people want no cables at home, in the office or similar places.

B&O isn't only company that giving in specifications X number of hours with ANC on and X number of hours with ANC off. I'm saying, and I repeat, that, for me, is very good marketing for b&w saying that with no ANC you can having between 40-50 hours. This, for a VERY expensive headphone, is very good information. 30 hrs with ANC on is very good too, but knowing that is at least 45 with ANC off is useful and attractive information, specially when looking at AirPods Max, maybe the px8 more typical competitor.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,512 of 5,138
Is strange that you insisting almost always answering or commenting my posts. I suggesting before you ignoring my posts. Please think about this again. Seriously. But because you are replying, I responding now too, because apparently we very often don't agreeing.

You can seeing many posts in different ANC headphones threads where some people saying ANC isn't important. This is one reason I writing "(many?)". For many people the idea of not using cables is already a BIG advantage, and some (many?) of this people want spending more money for good sound, comfort and good quality construction. People aren't always travelling or in loud places needing ANC. Some people want no cables at home, in the office or similar places.

B&O isn't only company that giving in specifications X number of hours with ANC on and X number of hours with ANC off. I'm saying, and I repeat, that, for me, is very good marketing for b&w saying that with no ANC you can having between 40-50 hours. This, for a VERY expensive headphone, is very good information. 30 hrs with ANC on is very good too, but knowing that is at least 45 with ANC off is useful and attractive information, specially when looking at AirPods Max, maybe the px8 more typical competitor.
I also believe that most users just leave ANC on the whole time, and never even try to connect a cable.

For me, I could be perfectly happy with ANC off at home, but here I can charge anytime so the time between charges is not so important.
When I am travelling I will use ANC but then all of a sudden the battery is more important…

Oct 31, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,513 of 5,138

The entire point of a thread is conversation. Hence replying. But I’m only speaking to the people I come in contact with. Even in a silent room, everyone I know just turns anc on. I find it interesting, because logically it doesn’t make sense, but thats how people I know operate.

As for the marketing, I’d have to go pull studies, but I do remember from my own marketing classes in college that the idea has been “less is more” for awhile now. One number for battery life is catchy. That’s the generally accepted marketing convention. To us? Yeah I’d agree it’s better to have all the info, but that’s not what marketers are taught.

Oct 31, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #1,514 of 5,138
As for the marketing, I’d have to go pull studies, but I do remember from my own marketing classes in college that the idea has been “less is more” for awhile now. One number for battery life is catchy. That’s the generally accepted marketing convention. To us? Yeah I’d agree it’s better to have all the info, but that’s not what marketers are taught.

"Less is more" is a very different concept in this case, I'm sorry saying, but maybe B&O, Sony and others companies must starting looking and using your (and apparently b&w) marketing strategy.

Oct 31, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,515 of 5,138
"Less is more" is a very different concept in this case, I'm sorry saying, but maybe B&O, Sony and others companies must starting looking and using your (and apparently b&w) marketing strategy.
They do. Less information makes the information pop. Here are the product descriptions for the XM5 and the Momentum 4 from a random retailer in the US. Best Buy in this case. Notice both use one number for battery life. Reviews will get more granular with the battery life, but that’s not what we’re talking about.
0CC065D8-0065-48F4-AAE0-029B0CE9EE3B.jpeg
5073BA83-9233-4ABF-ABF4-C2F89F7F9002.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back