Bluesound Node 2i
Feb 2, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #361 of 435
Hi, I am not sure of your question. I have wifi turned off on the Bluesound app. I use ethernet only. But, since the Node 2i is on my LAN, I can get to it from any device on my LAN.

My post was deleted, but I mentioned you don't even have to have your mobile or other devices on wifi to get to the Node 2i if you set up a VPN.

I got the impression you are security-conscious and I think that is warranted when we discuss wifi and Android. So it's worth mentioning you can use an Android Guest account to use your Bluesound app.

Very sorry, my bad.

I wrote the question when tired out.

The first line was supposed to read, "Please did you ever decide if you managed to turn off the wifi? ..... Instead it read 'Please did you ever decide if you managed to run of the wifi?'

My apologies.

I remember a post you made where you said something about, you thought you managed to turn wifi off.

I was wondering if it's possible to actually turn off the physical wifi. I mean so the Node does not give off any wifi signal, and is not detectable by other wifi networks. ... (Yes I am conscious about security with wifi. I'd not like to get someopne piggy-backed on my internet access, and them then doing dodgy stuff. Or just generally hacking me. Like I have all the ISP default filters on, and like it that way. I would not want anyone messing with that either.)

However I also have a visitor who believes they are sensitive to RFI and wifi. I could of course just power-off a Bluesound when they visited. However if I were to run it wired, then why not have the wifi turned off if possible? That's what I was thinking.

I realise that running a wired connection means wifi is not utilised. Bluesound support says that only one method of communication can be used. Am hoping then that when running wired, that wifi is physically not transmitting even for detection.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #362 of 435
Very sorry, my bad.

I wrote the question when tired out.

The first line was supposed to read, "Please did you ever decide if you managed to turn off the wifi? ..... Instead it read 'Please did you ever decide if you managed to run of the wifi?'

My apologies.

I remember a post you made where you said something about, you thought you managed to turn wifi off.

I was wondering if it's possible to actually turn off the physical wifi. I mean so the Node does not give off any wifi signal, and is not detectable by other wifi networks. ... (Yes I am conscious about security with wifi. I'd not like to get someopne piggy-backed on my internet access, and them then doing dodgy stuff. Or just generally hacking me. Like I have all the ISP default filters on, and like it that way. I would not want anyone messing with that either.)

However I also have a visitor who believes they are sensitive to RFI and wifi. I could of course just power-off a Bluesound when they visited. However if I were to run it wired, then why not have the wifi turned off if possible? That's what I was thinking.

I realise that running a wired connection means wifi is not utilised. Bluesound support says that only one method of communication can be used. Am hoping then that when running wired, that wifi is physically not transmitting even for detection.
I see, I missed it also until I read your post now.

I don't know the answer. If I go to wifi in the Bluesound app I know it's not connected to anything. But you're right, there is no proof that wifi itself isn't running.

I think it would be better if Bluesound had an option to actually turn it off. You could make a request on the Bluesound forums, send me the link, and I will also support it.

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #364 of 435
You can touch the “play button “ on the top center for 8 to 10 seconds and it will go off (power down) and the LEDs will shut off as well.
It sleeps but the power is still on. The LED is always off on mine, I turn it off via the UI.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #365 of 435
Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I currently have a newish iPad which I subscribe to Amazon HD I like everything about the interface etc and don't want to change from Amazon HD
My iPad goes into my Qutest via a USB and then on to headphone amp and headphones. Would buying a Node 2i improve or have better quality of the HD tracks I listen to or is the iPad just as good.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #366 of 435
Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I currently have a newish iPad which I subscribe to Amazon HD I like everything about the interface etc and don't want to change from Amazon HD
My iPad goes into my Qutest via a USB and then on to headphone amp and headphones. Would buying a Node 2i improve or have better quality of the HD tracks I listen to or is the iPad just as good.
The Node 2i has its own UI. You would not use Amazon's interface but rather a BluOS UI that works with Amazon HD APIs. Although it was promised as a future upgrade with the latest version of 2i, I don't believe connecting a USB device to the Node 2i is supported yet. You would have to use coax or optical S/PDIF from the Node 2i to your Qutest. I don't know much about Apple devices but I understand getting bitperfect is not always easy or obvious.

The Node 2i is usually a good choice when you want to use the internal DAC and it also supports MQA which is not big with amazon.. In your case maybe a cheaper Pi-based streamer transport would be better.

Updated: apparently the long-awaited firmware update to run a USB DAC off the new Node has happened. Since the Node can't do DSD or anything higher than 24/192 USB DAC is really not a big deal.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #367 of 435
I have a Bluesound Node 2 which I bought in 2015. I would like to add a streamer to my setup, and I will be using it to stream Tidal into my dedicated XI Audio DAC.

Is there a compelling reason to buy a new Bluesound N130, with this use case in mind?

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #368 of 435
I have a Bluesound Node 2 which I bought in 2015. I would like to add a streamer to my setup, and I will be using it to stream Tidal into my dedicated XI Audio DAC.

Is there a compelling reason to buy a new Bluesound N130, with this use case in mind?
No, I don't think so. At the end of the day the Bluesound does only 24/192 so if your DAC has coax in, just use that. USB DAC support is nice for people with entry-level DACs but it offers nothing in the way of sonic advantage.

The coax output from the Node is bit perfect. I run my Node 2i into a DI-20 over coax and from there it goes via AES/EBU to my Brooklyn DAC+. MQA works perfectly, so USB is just completely unnecessary and so are any upgrades that happened in later models if your intention is to use the Node as a transport. Not sure about the original Node, but presumably you get the benefit the 1st unfold if you turn off MQA passthrough in the BluOS UI.

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #370 of 435
Aug 21, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #372 of 435
Thanks I have a 2i was thinking about buying another one I was wondering if it was still the best thing going for $500

If you didn't have one already and depending on whether you want just a streamer or maybe an integrated amp + streamer, I would say maybe look at HEOS (Denon) or a Yamaha MusicCast. I think for the money if you already have Bluesound and you have streaming services and don't use local files much then Bluesound is still a top choice.

I was looking around for anothe streamer and I decided on a Bluesound B100S instead of the new Node. The reasons are I didn't want the controls on the box and I didn't want wifi. I saved 100 euros by getting the B100S. I use both it and my Node 2i as transports so the analog section is wasted. But, there wasn't anything else that could do Tidal Hifi for reasonable money.

If I play anything from my NAS I prefer foobar2000 or MusicCast.

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #373 of 435
This is a known-good box. I didn't find the software buggy. Not cheap, not expensive, good value in streamers. Great, if you consider it supports MQA.

But, if you use it as a transport you're wasting your money.
I have a question about the Node. Can you plug an external HD into it and play flak files through it? And if so can you see what you are listening to in the display? Can you shuffle songs?? I am considering this player or the Cambridge audio cxn v2

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #374 of 435
This is a known-good box. I didn't find the software buggy. Not cheap, not expensive, good value in streamers. Great, if you consider it supports MQA.

But, if you use it as a transport you're wasting your money.
I have a question about the Node. Can you plug an external HD into it and play flak files through it? And if so can you see what you are listening to in the display? Can you shuffle songs?? I am considering this player or the Cambridge audio cxn v2

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #375 of 435

Users who are viewing this thread

Back