Bluesound Node 2i
Dec 24, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #391 of 435
I love the Bifrost 2. Right in your budget. Big upgrade to DAC in Node 2i as I have both and a/b tested them.
No headamp, there goes the budget...

Dec 28, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #392 of 435
Has anybody who uses a 2i for Amazon Music Unlimited noticed the 2i control app has been not recognizing their status as subscribed to that service?

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #393 of 435
Had a Node 2i in a cabinet doing nothing for two years since I moved and don't have the system it was a part of any longer. Was thinking I should sell it, but never did. For my headphone rig, I had been using my MacBook Pro usb to dac to amp. For fun I dug out the Node 2i and swapped it in place of the laptop and ran SPDIF coax to the dac. I want to say it sounds a bit smoother with less treble hash, but it's not night and day. Will have to A-B test a little more. On the other hand, with the Node I have less control, as the EQ function is horrible on the Node so I won't us it. On the MacBook I have SoundSource which I use sparingly but do enjoy having the ability to compensate for bass-weak recordings. Thoughts on Node vs laptop for HP listening?

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #394 of 435
Had a Node 2i in a cabinet doing nothing for two years since I moved and don't have the system it was a part of any longer. Was thinking I should sell it, but never did. For my headphone rig, I had been using my MacBook Pro usb to dac to amp. For fun I dug out the Node 2i and swapped it in place of the laptop and ran SPDIF coax to the dac. I want to say it sounds a bit smoother with less treble hash, but it's not night and day. Will have to A-B test a little more. On the other hand, with the Node I have less control, as the EQ function is horrible on the Node so I won't us it. On the MacBook I have SoundSource which I use sparingly but do enjoy having the ability to compensate for bass-weak recordings. Thoughts on Node vs laptop for HP listening?
Most of my listening nowadays is over either Node 2i or B100S.

They're good little boxes. I'm using my Node 2i as a transport though since I have an MQA DAC.

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #395 of 435
Most of my listening nowadays is over either Node 2i or B100S.

They're good little boxes. I'm using my Node 2i as a transport though since I have an MQA DAC.
I’m also using the Node as a transport out to a Bifrost MB. Do you hear any difference in sound quality between the Node and the B100S (as transports) ?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #396 of 435
I’m also using the Node as a transport out to a Bifrost MB. Do you hear any difference in sound quality between the Node and the B100S (as transports) ?

I didn't try to compare them and the Node 2i is set up to passthrough MQA while the B100S is set up to decode MQA. They're in different systems so it's difficult to know. I don't think there is any sound quality difference worth mentioning, especially since in my setups they both go through DDCs before the DAC. But I like the B100S better since it doesn't have buttons and it doesn't have wifi, that's one less source of noise. And it's cheaper.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #397 of 435
Have any of you who use the Node as a transport only with an external DAC noticed any sound quality differences between digital coax out vs optical?

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #398 of 435
Have any of you who use the Node as a transport only with an external DAC noticed any sound quality differences between digital coax out vs optical?

I have not compared, since I only use optical S/PDIF if I have no other choice.

Optical is inferior unless you have a ground loop or electrical noise problem. That is unlikely given the Node is not grounded.

Optical is rated 24/96 while coax is rated 24/192.

Mar 2, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #399 of 435
I have not compared, since I only use optical S/PDIF if I have no other choice.

Optical is inferior unless you have a ground loop or electrical noise problem. That is unlikely given the Node is not grounded.

Optical is rated 24/96 while coax is rated 24/192.
I use an external DAC and have tried Optical to the Chord QUTEST ... my ears definitely prefer coax from the Node 2i.

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #400 of 435
I use an external DAC and have tried Optical to the Chord QUTEST ... my ears definitely prefer coax from the Node 2i.
Same for me with the Gungnir MB. But that could just as easily be at the input as the Node output, so therefor DAC specific.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #401 of 435
Same for me with the Gungnir MB. But that could just as easily be at the input as the Node output, so therefor DAC specific.
Very good point. Have A-B'ed coax (DH Labs) and optical (AQ Cinnamon) today into the Bifrost MB. Coax definitely providing larger quantity of bass output. Is the optical midrange perhaps a tad clearer? Actually hard for me to tell. Could just be the increased bass of the coax creeping into the mids.

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #402 of 435
Very good point. Have A-B'ed coax (DH Labs) and optical (AQ Cinnamon) today into the Bifrost MB. Coax definitely providing larger quantity of bass output. Is the optical midrange perhaps a tad clearer? Actually hard for me to tell. Could just be the increased bass of the coax creeping into the mids.
Huh, that's weird. To be honest, the first thing I noticed when I started using coax out of the Bluesound months ago was that it sounded boomy and bass-heavy compared to where I had it before, using the analog outs. I'm starting to wonder about these boxes :D

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #403 of 435
Curious if anyone else has tried the PD Creative power supply upgrade for the node 2i. A pretty straight forward diy project. Open up the node and remove the bluesound power supply and then replace it with the upgrade kit. No soldering required, a couple of screws and one connector harness is all it takes. You can then use an external 5v 2a power supply with the node 2i. Options ranging anywhere from a basic switchmode ps up to a LPS like the Sbooster. I found it to make a pretty significant difference using the Nodes internal dac.

Mar 10, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #404 of 435
Curious if anyone else has tried the PD Creative power supply upgrade for the node 2i. A pretty straight forward diy project. Open up the node and remove the bluesound power supply and then replace it with the upgrade kit. No soldering required, a couple of screws and one connector harness is all it takes. You can then use an external 5v 2a power supply with the node 2i. Options ranging anywhere from a basic switchmode ps up to a LPS like the Sbooster. I found it to make a pretty significant difference using the Nodes internal dac.
I did the upgrade on my 2021 Node. IMO it was a worthwhile upgrade For a minimal investment.

I bought their kit that includes the Meanwell SMPSU as they don’t offer one with a Linear PSU for anything that’s not 220V. I wrote a lengthy review on their site that I’ll quote part of here:

“The first thing that grabbed my attention was the soundstage. It was bigger in width/height and placement of individual sounds was more easily discerned. Second thing that stood out was the treble was smoother. My system had a slight “etch” to the highs on some music that was now gone. Bass has a little bit more heft and punch and more easily discerned texture and mids (notably vocals) seem more clear. Lastly is just how quiet the background is……it’s dead quiet. The easiest way I can sum up this upgrade is this: With the stock PSU it’s like listening to your music through a a window that’s got a slight film on it. The PD Creative PSU wipes the window clean and just makes everything clear and easier to perceive”

Another option is Vinshine Audio (parent company of Denafrips) They developed their own kit they recently began selling and they offer a bundle with a Linear PSU

https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lhy-bluesound-psu-kit

Here’s a video outlining it:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #405 of 435
I too got my kit in 2021 with the meanwell switcher. I recently built a LPS to replace it.
AMB laboratories Sigma 11 power supply.
Sigma 11
Basically a linear power supply to replace the meanwell that came with the kit.
FEF7C080-06C6-4D77-A4C2-3D85E5CE753A.jpeg

23CDB56D-4140-4BB5-906A-C2F232267A2A.jpeg

A slight improvement over the basic upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back