Bluesound Node 2i
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #406 of 435
OK, i'm a refugee from the iFi Zen Streamer, which is a beta level product IMO that could not be hooked up via WIFI, hence useless to me. This could be the right place.

I've got my DAC, must use WIFI. Is this device able to connect and be stable on a network? IF so, would use it as a transport using the coax out. Seems like TIDAL 1st unfold will work as a pass through? Qobuz?

Thanks for input.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #407 of 435
I have never had problems with my Node2i connected over wifi. That being said my Node is pretty close to my router. I live in the burbs so no problems with competing networks. The Bluesound app has a tab that can help figuring out the relative strength of your connection.
bluesound2.jpg

I have my node connected to my houses 5ac network and have no problems with dropouts or lagging out. I have it feeding coax out to my dac.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #408 of 435
For me, the node works very well over wifi, with no drop outs or other issues even through Qobuz streaming data intensive 192khz files. This is in a challenging RF environment. I live in an apartment building in Manhattan and I can see 9 other wifi networks on my computer!

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #409 of 435
What are these setting in BluOS for "Replay Gain" (Disabled; Track Gain; Album Gain; Smart Gain) and what do they do ?

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #410 of 435
What are these setting in BluOS for "Replay Gain" (Disabled; Track Gain; Album Gain; Smart Gain) and what do they do ?
https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...ain-What-are-the-different-Replay-Gain-modes-

“At Bluesound, we know not all recordings are made equal. Newer recordings are mastered at higher volume levels and may result in an uneven listening experience when mixed with older recordings.

You may level your Bluesound volume settings using the Replay gain settings embedded in the digital file encoding. Simply adjust your Replay-gain settings by selecting Settings next to the player in the Rooms Drawer. Replay-gain modes work with volume adjustment metadata tags from your audio files to select the appropriate volume levels

If present, these are either Track Gain or Album Gain, which are different volume adjustments dependent on the songs album or settings for individual listening. Track gain is the individual song while Album gain is for the entire recording.

Smart Gain automatically selects the best volume level for each file, resulting in all files, regardless of recordings, to be played back at approximately the same volume level. It will use a combination of the track gain or album gain to retain the original quality of all your audio files.”

Keep in mind that in a lot of cases enabling any of the Replay Gain options doesn’t affect the sound whatsoever because if the audio files you’re playing (via streaming or your own ripped files) don’t have the proper gain tags in their metadata the Bluesound can’t apply it.

Me personally I’ve never used it and I’m pretty sure most users don’t bother with it.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #411 of 435
I think these are an attempt to make all the music play at the same volume. But I guess they break MQA. I have them all turned off but I IIRC I don't have the granular selection you noted, rather just replay gain or not.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #414 of 435
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #415 of 435
I have never had problems with my Node2i connected over wifi. That being said my Node is pretty close to my router. I live in the burbs so no problems with competing networks. The Bluesound app has a tab that can help figuring out the relative strength of your connection.

I have my node connected to my houses 5ac network and have no problems with dropouts or lagging out. I have it feeding coax out to my dac.
My streamer is about 35’ from my router through 1 thick and 1 thin wall. It’s not ideal that it has no usb. My transport uses coax and I have but one amazing coax cable and 4 more pieces of meh. I have lots of RFI too. Still a streamer that does 192/24 with no drama and better sound than my old v40 is what I want and the coax will work

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #416 of 435
I am curious if anyone has upgraded to the latest Node which offers Usb out, and whether they have noticed any difference using usb vs coax with an upstream dac?

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #417 of 435
I am curious if anyone has upgraded to the latest Node which offers Usb out, and whether they have noticed any difference using usb vs coax with an upstream dac?
Bitperfect is bitperfect and it still supports only 24/192, so there can't be any difference except due to noisy USB.

I had considered that feature a good one, but then I realized coax is still better for me since my USB inputs on my DACs where I have Bluesound boxes are already in use.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #418 of 435
Bitperfect is bitperfect and it still supports only 24/192, so there can't be any difference except due to noisy USB.

I had considered that feature a good one, but then I realized coax is still better for me since my USB inputs on my DACs where I have Bluesound boxes are already in use.
In my use case I was considering whether it would be an upgrade to have my dac handle clocking (asynchronous usb) vs having the node 2is clock in the equation via spdif.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #419 of 435
In my use case I was considering whether it would be an upgrade to have my dac handle clocking (asynchronous usb) vs having the node 2is clock in the equation via spdif.

I really don't know how good the USB implementation is but it is probably not ideal. Also, on the node 2i (and I think new node) wifi is always on whether you use it or not.

Because of this, I bought a B100S instead of the new node and I run the coax out of the B100S into a DDC. I believe this is the optimal way to run a bluesound box.

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #420 of 435
anyone else notice a sound improvement after the big update last week. seems more refined in the hi's. i only stream Tidal but to me sounds much better. was looking at new streamers but dont think i will be anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back