Bluesound Node 2i
Jan 25, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #346 of 435
I know this is 7 months old but I thought I’d reply because I’ve done the comparison. For me, ethernet connection is superior and I do have a mesh wifi network. In fact, I can hear when the wifi chip is active. I want wifi completely shutdown.

I’ve had 2 support requests in for this issue and one of the responses said that wifi starts every time the Node 2i initiates from off. Then wifi shuts down after 5 days if you are connected to ethernet. I can hear the improvement in sound quality when wifi is shut down.

This is how I found the issue. I leave my Node 2i on 24x7. But I didn’t do that when I first got it. And I’ve always used ethernet except once to test the wifi connection. After I started the Node 2i on 24x7 powered-on, I noticed that the Node 2i would not sound as good as usual for several days if I shut it down for some reason. Hence the support requests and I deduced that wifi interference from the 2i’s own wifi chip was causing the degradation. I later opened the 2i box and discovered that it appeared to have very little emi shielding inside — only a small amount between the p/s board and everything else.

So if you use wifi you will get that interference. Use ethernet and leave the Node 2i on 24x7 and you should be free of that interference.
Ironically, iirc, improving the internal isolation/shielding was the main difference btwn the 2 and 2i that was touted by the manufacturer. I have never used the wifi, as the device is only like 2 feet from my router.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #347 of 435
Thank you everyone that's offered help and advice. I think the thing to do is buy one and see how it goes.

My reservation is that I wish Bluesound had used the term bit-perfect in their manual. However I think the reason they didn't was because the manual is extremely brief.

I guess my next step is buy one and see how it performs. I am betting it will sound identical over optical to my DAC to my current source. That being due the bit-perfect nature. I use my PC right now and playback bit-pefect from J-River.

There is discrepancy though that different players sound different. Bit-perfect over optical should be identical I am guessing. If the bits aren't altered by the source, and optical is used, then no noise can change the sound. Whereas with USB, then noise can interfere with the DAC upstream.

Might be getting more than one Node depending on how it sounds. It will be easy to do an A-B test between Node and my PC, which are next to each other. It will only mean swapping input on my DAC - which has two optical inputs.

Happy days - fingers' crossed.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #348 of 435
My reservation is that I wish Bluesound had used the term bit-perfect in their manual. However I think the reason they didn't was because the manual is extremely brief.
From the forums it's obvious the Node 2i owners know more than the support guys :frowning2:

I guess my next step is buy one and see how it performs. I am betting it will sound identical over optical to my DAC to my current source. That being due the bit-perfect nature. I use my PC right now and playback bit-pefect from J-River.
If you use it as a transport, it is invisible, yes.

There is discrepancy though that different players sound different.
A player is not an atomic thing. If there are differences, it is because something is different somewhere in the chain, or between the listener's ears. That there should be differences in bit-perfect players is untenable.

Bit-perfect over optical should be identical I am guessing. If the bits aren't altered by the source, and optical is used, then no noise can change the sound.
Optical has a lot of jitter, it can definitely change the sound for the worse.

Whereas with USB, then noise can interfere with the DAC upstream.
There's noise on every type of connection. If you throw enough time and money at it, you can defeat most of it.

Might be getting more than one Node depending on how it sounds. It will be easy to do an A-B test between Node and my PC, which are next to each other. It will only mean swapping input on my DAC - which has two optical inputs.
They're very nice devices, the software is really good. It's not perfect but it breaks a lot less than Windows :D

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #349 of 435
My fault as I should have mentioned then that I use Chord DACs. They re-clock the incoming samples so are immune to jitter. Hopefully then the Node should sound the same over optical as my PC.

Optical is noise free as there is nowhere for current to pass from source to DAC.

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #350 of 435
Please does the Node respond to phone control via direct wifi contact or bluetooth for control? Or does the Node have to be connected to a router with Wifi on? Then the phone connects to the router, to control the Node.

Soory I know I have had to ask a few questions. I have been hovering over the buy button. THen I was looking into JRiver JRemote, and other apps to control a latop or PC running JRiver. I discovered that some apps need to connect via a router.

If the node connected to phone via a router it would be an issue. I use wired internet from router to PC.

Many thanks if anyone can advise me.

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #351 of 435
Please does the Node respond to phone control via direct wifi contact or bluetooth for control? Or does the Node have to be connected to a router with Wifi on? Then the phone connects to the router, to control the Node.

Soory I know I have had to ask a few questions. I have been hovering over the buy button. THen I was looking into JRiver JRemote, and other apps to control a latop or PC running JRiver. I discovered that some apps need to connect via a router.

If the node connected to phone via a router it would be an issue. I use wired internet from router to PC.

Many thanks if anyone can advise me.

I am confused as to what you think the problem will be. The Node is connected to the network via either ethernet or wifi, and the phone is connected to the network via wifi, but either way, the signal will go through the router. What is the problem you forsee?

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #352 of 435
I am confused as to what you think the problem will be. The Node is connected to the network via either ethernet or wifi, and the phone is connected to the network via wifi, but either way, the signal will go through the router. What is the problem you forsee?

I have wifi on my router turned off.

I mean to use the Bluesound with an SSD attached, as a music file source. I thought my phone would talk directly to the Bluesound, like a remote control with a screen.

It sounds by what you're saying that I would not be able to use Node without my router wifi. I understand setting up the Node would mean having wifi on, because I have been looking at set-up videos. After that I figured I could turn wifi off.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #353 of 435
I've never tried it, (only time my wifi is off is to reset my router) but I don't think that will work. In fact, I don't think any device controlled by an app on a phone will work without wifi. I suppose you could use the controller app on a pc with an ethernet connection to your router, and a second ethernet connection from the router to the Node, but if you were to have more than one node as you mentioned, seems unwieldy and kinda defeats the purpose. My local library is on an outboard ssd plugged into the usb-A port. Out of curiosity, why the requirement that your wifi be off?

Edit: I think one can re-purpose a remote from another device as a remote for the Node, but I know nothing about that facility.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #354 of 435
I've never tried it, (only time my wifi is off is to reset my router) but I don't think that will work. In fact, I don't think any device controlled by an app on a phone will work without wifi.
Well no, it does work. I run my Node 2i on ethernet but as long as your controller device (PC, phone, tablet etc.) is on your LAN it will work.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #356 of 435
How would a phone or tablet connect to the LAN without wi fi?
I thought you were saying you must use the Node 2i on wifi to be able to control it from wifi? If so that is not correct.

Anything on your LAN can talk to anything else on your LAN. How it gets on your LAN does not matter.

As I said, my Node 2i is on ethernet. And I can use my phone on wifi to control it.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #357 of 435
Just to add to this, I think it would be really inconvenient if you had to connect via Bluetooth or wifi directly to the Node. By communicating over the network, my PC, laptop or any of my phones or tablets just see my Node 2is (I have two), I can control any Node 2i with any device that is near me (don't even have to be in the same room) and can even stream local files stored on my PC via the BluOS app. My Node 2is are hard wired via Ethernet cables to my Linksys Velop nodes (not via wifi) and my PC is connected via ethernet to my Verizon FIOS Gateway router, which is also connected to a Velop node (Velop is set to bridge mode). Phones and tablets are obviously connected via wifi and, as you noted, wifi would be required on the network for the phone or tablet to "see" the Node unless you plan on somehow keeping your phone or tablet hardwired to the network (I am sure there is a way but probably not practical). Works great and all my devices just see my Node 2is. Used to run LMS and Roon prior to getting the Nodes 2is and never had an issue there either. They all seem to work similarly. If I had to manually connect via Bluetooth or wifi directly to a specific Node 2i to control them, I would never have bought them.

EDIT: meant to add, I believe Bluesound also makes a remote control that I believe works with all their devices. Also believe you can train a universal remote control, which I have not tried. I have so many phones, tablets and computers at home that I am perfectly happy using as remotes via the BluOS app and have never had an issue connecting to the Node 2is.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #358 of 435
Thank you folks.

I could buy a tablet and do it that way then. Meaning have tablet and Node connected via ethernet. I could even use my phone via ethernet. (I already have the adapter to use my phone with ethernet, in case I have any big downloads. USB-C so the cable should work with an Android table too.)

With the tablet option it would more secure because, I would not put anything sensitive on it. (With being connected to the internet I mean.)

Actually I was shocked when I just checked in and saw your replies. I felt it was game over for my ideas, and was feeling pretty low. Also thinking you folks must be getting fed up with my never-ending questions.

It's either this idea or a fanless laptop. Thank you again everyone.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #359 of 435
EDITED for clarity.

@gimmeheadroom

Please did you ever decide if you managed to turn off the wifi?

I looked over the Bluesound support. If ethernet is attached, the Node will default to it over wifi.

However I can't work out if it's possible to turn of wifi.

No worries if not.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #360 of 435
@gimmeheadroom

Please did you ever decide if you managed to run of the wifi?

I looked over the Bluesound support. If ethernet is attached, the Node will default to it over wifi.

However I can't work out if it's possible to turn of wifi.

No worries if not.
Hi, I am not sure of your question. I have wifi turned off on the Bluesound app. I use ethernet only. But, since the Node 2i is on my LAN, I can get to it from any device on my LAN.

My post was deleted, but I mentioned you don't even have to have your mobile or other devices on wifi to get to the Node 2i if you set up a VPN.

I got the impression you are security-conscious and I think that is warranted when we discuss wifi and Android. So it's worth mentioning you can use an Android Guest account to use your Bluesound app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back