Bluesound Node 2i
Nov 6, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #331 of 435
Today I found the setting to turn off the digital audio correction. 🤦‍♂️ Lo and behold, the sound from my external DAC improved immediately, sounding clearer and less processed. Better to let the R-2R DAC handle all the timing. Okay, now I can live with the Node 2i without wondering if the competition offers a better coaxial out. This is great news as I quite like BluOS.

Where's the setting?

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #332 of 435
Where's the setting?
Settings > Player > Audio > Audio clock trim = off

The text makes it sound like I should leave it on so I did originally, But after switching it off, I much prefer the way the DAC handles the audio timing.

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #333 of 435
Today I found the setting to turn off the digital audio correction. 🤦‍♂️ Lo and behold, the sound from my external DAC improved immediately, sounding clearer and less processed. Better to let the R-2R DAC handle all the timing. Okay, now I can live with the Node 2i without wondering if the competition offers a better coaxial out. This is great news as I quite like BluOS.
Interesting. Mine always sounds good. I will try your setting.

Jan 23, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #334 of 435
Hi folks,

I am thinking about buying a Node 2i or Node most likely. I have a couple of questions to clear up before I make my decision though.

1. Does the volume control still affect volume when the Node 2i is feeding bit-perfect to an external DAC? I would assume bit-perfect output would mean the volume on the Node 2i is disabled. When sending music files digitally out of the Node 2i, the DAC of the Node 2i is bypassed. However I am sure I read somewhere that volume control is still active. I.e. affects volume of music sent to external DAC.

2. About the BlueOS app, or the Node 2i software.

Does the Node 2i group albums by 'artist' or by 'album artist'.

It's easier to explain this another way. I have a Sony DAP that groups by 'album artist'. I also have an A&K DAP that albums by artist. Sadly with the A&K DAP, it means many albums get messed up. If an album by E.g. Dido has a guest artist, that's where it goes wrong. The track with the guest artist gets listed as a separate one track album, by that guest artist. It's not listed in the tracks on the Dido album.

In other words how does the Node 2i group albums. Am hoping it does not split up albums like my A&K DAP does. Especially with compilation albums like hypothetically, Rocks- Greatest Hits, where each track is by a different artist.

By the way one last thing. This is not a question I am asking, am just passing on information that I read. For those using MQA and an external DAC. I read from someone at Bluesound, that this is still possible over optical or coax. The Node 2i will unpack the MQA files, and then send then over optical or coax to an external DAC. However the maximum bit rate with this is 96KHz.

(As opposed to 192KHz with FLAC, WAV, etc, as bit-perfect sent though to external DAC.)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #335 of 435
Hi folks,

I am thinking about buying a Node 2i or Node most likely. I have a couple of questions to clear up before I make my decision though.

1. Does the volume control still affect volume when the Node 2i is feeding bit-perfect to an external DAC? I would assume bit-perfect output would mean the volume on the Node 2i is disabled. When sending music files digitally out of the Node 2i, the DAC of the Node 2i is bypassed. However I am sure I read somewhere that volume control is still active. I.e. affects volume of music sent to external DAC.

It's easier to explain this another way. I have a Sony DAP that groups by 'album artist'. I also have an A&K DAP that albums by artist. Sadly with the A&K DAP, it means many albums get messed up. If an album by E.g. Dido has a guest artist, that's where it goes wrong. The track with the guest artist gets listed as a separate one track album, by that guest artist. It's not listed in the tracks on the Dido album.

In other words how does the Node 2i group albums. Am hoping it does not split up albums like my A&K DAP does. Especially with compilation albums like hypothetically, Rocks- Greatest Hits, where each track is by a different artist.

By the way one last thing. This is not a question I am asking, am just passing on information that I read. For those using MQA and an external DAC. I read from someone at Bluesound, that this is still possible over optical or coax. The Node 2i will unpack the MQA files, and then send then over optical or coax to an external DAC. However the maximum bit rate with this is 96KHz.

(As opposed to 192KHz with FLAC, WAV, etc, as bit-perfect sent though to external DAC.)
I have a 2i, and as for your first question, the Controller app doesn't have a bit-perfect setting as such, but if one does not use one of the methods of changing the file digitally (tone controls, volume, replay gain, etc.) then I believe it is by default outputting bit-perfectly to an external dac. It has a simple binary setting called "output level fixed." This is the only setting I have ever used, and I have never used the internal dac for music, only tv, nor have I used any of the dsp-based functions. I have not investigated forensically to confirm whether it is really bit perfect, but Bluesound makes this claim and I have no evidence to the contrary.

As to your second question, the categories are labeled Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres, Playlists, Composers, Folders. Compilation albums are listed under the name of the album, but the names of the individual artists do not appear under the Artist category unless you have other tracks by them. All my compilation albums appear in the Artist category under Various Artists. Once I open one of the compilation albums (I do not have many) the tracks are listed in track order, each one with the artist name shown. Ime, all of these types of functions are affected by how the info is encoded initially on the disc , and by how your tagging is. If there is something you want me to check, let me know; I am more than willing, but I mostly listen by album or shuffling by track, and I have had no problems with either setting. Not sure I have any music with a "guest artist" per your example with Dido above, so...

I am very happy with the 2i, and highly recommend it, especially if you are an Amazon Music HD subscriber. Good luck and 🍻.

Jan 23, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #336 of 435
1. Does the volume control still affect volume when the Node 2i is feeding bit-perfect to an external DAC?
As @senorx12562 said you select fixed output and then you cannot adjust the volume.

I would assume bit-perfect output would mean the volume on the Node 2i is disabled. When sending music files digitally out of the Node 2i, the DAC of the Node 2i is bypassed. However I am sure I read somewhere that volume control is still active. I.e. affects volume of music sent to external DAC.
That is only true when you have not selected fixed output level. I run that way and there is no way to control volume with the app after that.

It mostly exposes the way the streaming service(s) you have selected organize them.

I don't know if that's correct and I can't remember if the nominal bit rate of any MQA stream is higher than 96 KHz to know whether it has any practical effect. And be aware, not every MQA DAC handles MQA streams over coaxial or optical S/PDIF.

That does not make sense and I guess it is because there aren't any MQA bitstreams higher than 96 KHz nominal rate.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #337 of 435
I have a 2i, and as for your first question, the Controller app doesn't have a bit-perfect setting as such, but if one does not use one of the methods of changing the file digitally (tone controls, volume, replay gain, etc.) then I believe it is by default outputting bit-perfectly to an external dac. It has a simple binary setting called "output level fixed." This is the only setting I have ever used, and I have never used the internal dac for music, only tv, nor have I used any of the dsp-based functions. I have not investigated forensically to confirm whether it is really bit perfect, but Bluesound makes this claim and I have no evidence to the contrary.

As to your second question, the categories are labeled Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres, Playlists, Composers, Folders. Compilation albums are listed under the name of the album, but the names of the individual artists do not appear under the Artist category unless you have other tracks by them. All my compilation albums appear in the Artist category under Various Artists. Once I open one of the compilation albums (I do not have many) the tracks are listed in track order, each one with the artist name shown. Ime, all of these types of functions are affected by how the info is encoded initially on the disc , and by how your tagging is. If there is something you want me to check, let me know; I am more than willing, but I mostly listen by album or shuffling by track, and I have had no problems with either setting. Not sure I have any music with a "guest artist" per your example with Dido above, so...

I am very happy with the 2i, and highly recommend it, especially if you are an Amazon Music HD subscriber. Good luck and 🍻.

That sounds like I will be free to go ahead and make a purchase. 'Output level fixed' sounds good. I would prefer it if bit-perfect was not interfered with by any controls, even volume.

It's a fair point you saying whether or not bit-perfect is from the outputs. Since it's not mentioned in the manuals it's a leap of faith, assuming it is bit-perfect.

However I was googling about max sampliing frequency from the optical output. There was no pecific result for it, but there were bluesound thread results. In two threads I saw someone from Bluesound refer to output being bit-perfect.

It makes me suspicious though when the manual doesn't mention stuff, but devlopers mention stuff in threads.

Anyway, my situation is that I have pondered for months/years over a file transport. I am not going to use Node as a streamer. I will most likely use it for music files via attached SSD drive. Plus internet radio sometimes. I realise this is in a way a waste of the Node's functions. However I am literally exhausted looking for a suitable transport. Like I looked for fanless laptops, but never find the one I want and give up. Plus I think a laptop would not be right for how I mean to use the transport.

RE: Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres, Playlists, Composers, Folders. Your post tells me that the Bluesound should see the files correctly, from an external SSD. I suppose I can try a Node and see what happens, but I wanted to be sure first, to avoid returns. Many, many thanks.

@gimmeheadroom

I found these threads on it yesterday when I checking to see if Node would be OK for me.

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...285321-External-dac-doesn-t-recognize-24-192-

This one quotes from a Bluesound rep, in the third post by someone called Roger.

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...multichannel-audio-via-Digital-Output-to-AVR-

Second post in this thread.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #338 of 435
That sounds like I will be free to go ahead and make a purchase. 'Output level fixed' sounds good. I would prefer it if bit-perfect was not interfered with by any controls, even volume.
Software volume control breaks bitperfect.

It's a fair point you saying whether or not bit-perfect is from the outputs. Since it's not mentioned in the manuals it's a leap of faith, assuming it is bit-perfect.
That's not what I said, sorry if I did not explain something clearly. What I meant was, I find it difficult to believe the coax and optical S/PDIF are limited to 96 KHz. That may be just because older standards were 24 bit up to 96 KHz but I think today most S/PDIF gear works up to 24/192.

It has to be bit-perfect, or there would be no point in the passthrough MQA setting on the Bluesound app. I just haven't tested it, since I have my Node 2i running analog out into an integrated amp. I don't use it as a transport.

However I was googling about max sampliing frequency from the optical output. There was no pecific result for it, but there were bluesound thread results. In two threads I saw someone from Bluesound refer to output being bit-perfect.
In the second thread you linked, Bluesound clearly states that The Node 2i also supports bit-perfect 192/24 through all outputs. When streaming MQA content, the internal DAC of the Node 2i handles the rendering stages, which means you will get 96/24 out of the digital outputs and up to 192/24 through the RCA outputs.

And this is because with MQA passthrough, the Node 2i (or any other MQA provider) sends an undecoded bitstream to the output. When it is not set to passthrough mode, the Node 2i does the first unfold and sends that stream to the digital outputs.

Anyway, my situation is that I have pondered for months/years over a file transport. I am not going to use Node as a streamer. I will most likely use it for music files via attached SSD drive. Plus internet radio sometimes. I realise this is in a way a waste of the Node's functions.
It's only a waste if you don't have an MQA DAC. Otherwise, you might better off buying a cheaper, pi-based streamer.

However I am literally exhausted looking for a suitable transport. Like I looked for fanless laptops, but never find the one I want and give up. Plus I think a laptop would not be right for how I mean to use the transport.
I use a Lenovo M90n silent PC for a music player. Not sure they're available everywhere.

RE: Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres, Playlists, Composers, Folders. Your post tells me that the Bluesound should see the files correctly, from an external SSD. I suppose I can try a Node and see what happens, but I wanted to be sure first, to avoid returns. Many, many thanks.
Well, from external disk you can use your existing directory structure or tags. I don't tag anything, I use the directory structure. If your music is not tagged, don't expect anything but chaos. Same is true for Roon, btw.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #339 of 435
I use this unit as a source for a whole home audio system. I think the ability to feed digital in and get digital out from the unit to be a bit wonky. Very limited technology options; it really should have multiple inputs; coax, toslink, and USB.. But then again I am just feeding an Anthem 4 channel amp unit; and the Anthem has a bad habit of resampling everything that comes in analog anyway. Having said all that, its just fine for my intended use but its not for extreme audio perfectionism. It does a decent job of talking to my NAS. And as noted it only handles PCM and not DSD (unless it is converted to PCM which really is not DSD....). I do like the fact it integrates with Airplay, Sirius XM, and Amazon HD.

I found that for me the best use was to put my favorite tunes into a special folder on the NAS. I have quite a bit of music on the server and pointing the unit to the entire music collection created something of a music clutter mess. When I want a deeper catalog song or artist I feed it via DS Audio to Airplay to the BlueSound.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #340 of 435
I use this unit as a source for a whole home audio system. I think the ability to feed digital in and get digital out from the unit to be a bit wonky. Very limited technology options; it really should have multiple inputs; coax, toslink, and USB.. But then again I am just feeding an Anthem 4 channel amp unit; and the Anthem has a bad habit of resampling everything that comes in analog anyway. Having said all that, its just fine for my intended use but its not for extreme audio perfectionism. It does a decent job of talking to my NAS. And as noted it only handles PCM and not DSD (unless it is converted to PCM which really is not DSD....). I do like the fact it integrates with Airplay, Sirius XM, and Amazon HD.

I found that for me the best use was to put my favorite tunes into a special folder on the NAS. I have quite a bit of music on the server and pointing the unit to the entire music collection created something of a music clutter mess. When I want a deeper catalog song or artist I feed it via DS Audio to Airplay to the BlueSound.
My 2i does actually have toslink (3.5mm mini-adapter/trrs analog shared jack, like ifi has used on some of their products) and usb inputs, but not coax digital input). The only time I use a coax digital out is from my dap to my dac. Since the dac in my dap is considerably better than that in the Node, I wouldn't use the latter, just the analog in if I wanted to use the Node as a pre. But I have a preamp, so again, no issue. The only thing about the 2i I found "wonky" was the toslink s/pdif output. It just sounded off. Only tried it once, for abt 5 min. Coax only since then. I'm sure it is not the best at anything, but it is great at the price, and the Rpi music playback sw (that I tried) is all a pita and not compatible w/ Amazon HD, which is the only streamer I use.

@GreenBow, my answer about playback modes above was only with my local library, with streaming it depends on the streaming svc's internal system, so you are somewhat at their mercy. If you want me to try something specific, let me know, by DM if you want.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #341 of 435

It makes me suspicious though when the manual doesn't mention stuff, but devlopers mention stuff in threads.

Anyway, my situation is that I have pondered for months/years over a file transport. I am not going to use Node as a streamer. I will most likely use it for music files via attached SSD drive. Plus internet radio sometimes. I realise this is in a way a waste of the Node's functions. However I am literally exhausted looking for a suitable transport. Like I looked for fanless laptops, but never find the one I want and give up. Plus I think a laptop would not be right for how I mean to use the transport.

@gimmeheadroom

I found these threads on it yesterday when I checking to see if Node would be OK for me.

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...285321-External-dac-doesn-t-recognize-24-192-

This one quotes from a Bluesound rep, in the third post by someone called Roger.

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...multichannel-audio-via-Digital-Output-to-AVR-

Second post in this thread.
I use my node as you described....a file transport (SSD), not as a streamer + occasionally via Bluetooth APTX for stuff I dont have on SSD

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #343 of 435
Might seem a silly question this, but does the Node (2i) have a power button? Only I may end up with two in the same room, while only wanting to operate one at a time.
No power button to cut off power completely but I put into "vacation mode" by holding the play/pause button on the Node 2i for approx. 5 sec. Tap the button again to wake it up (takes a few seconds to reconnect). Node won't appear in app while in vacation mode and lights will be off.

Jan 24, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #344 of 435
Has anyone. Compared the sound quality of these two connection options.
1- The Node is connected via WiFi.
2- The Node is connected via an Ethernet cable.
I know this is 7 months old but I thought I’d reply because I’ve done the comparison. For me, ethernet connection is superior and I do have a mesh wifi network. In fact, I can hear when the wifi chip is active. I want wifi completely shutdown.

I’ve had 2 support requests in for this issue and one of the responses said that wifi starts every time the Node 2i initiates from off. Then wifi shuts down after 5 days if you are connected to ethernet. I can hear the improvement in sound quality when wifi is shut down.

This is how I found the issue. I leave my Node 2i on 24x7. But I didn’t do that when I first got it. And I’ve always used ethernet except once to test the wifi connection. After I started the Node 2i on 24x7 powered-on, I noticed that the Node 2i would not sound as good as usual for several days if I shut it down for some reason. Hence the support requests and I deduced that wifi interference from the 2i’s own wifi chip was causing the degradation. I later opened the 2i box and discovered that it appeared to have very little emi shielding inside — only a small amount between the p/s board and everything else.

So if you use wifi you will get that interference. Use ethernet and leave the Node 2i on 24x7 and you should be free of that interference.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #345 of 435
Might seem a silly question this, but does the Node (2i) have a power button? Only I may end up with two in the same room, while only wanting to operate one at a time.
You don't need to turn one of them off, since you can select which one(s) you want to play through via the app, and also via Spotify Connect or Tidal Connect

I know this is 7 months old but I thought I’d reply because I’ve done the comparison. For me, ethernet connection is superior and I do have a mesh wifi network. In fact, I can hear when the wifi chip is active. I want wifi completely shutdown.
Same here. It's been a while since I got mine a few years ago, but at that time it looked like a security hole since anything on your LAN seems to have unfettered access to the Bluesound app. So I thought I found a way to turn off wifi completely. I'll have to check later, I don't have a Windows box running this moment.

This is how I found the issue. I leave my Node 2i on 24x7. But I didn’t do that when I first got it.
Not sure I understood this part, since unless you unplug it, it's on.

Use ethernet and leave the Node 2i on 24x7 and you should be free of that interference.
That's how I do it, yeah. But I don't know if I would have heard any degredation since mine is used in a secondary system which has good speakers but the integrated amp is not the most resolving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back