Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Oct 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #17 of 6,129
So this Blon 03 is the Monoprice 8320 of this generation?

I am curious someone to graph the 8320.

Here is a graph of the 8320 (with Flare Audiophile earfoams), 7khz peak is tubing resonance.

Monoprice 8320.png

Not much in common with the BL-03 I guess, still waiting for mine to arrive, 11 days it supposedly left China...

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #19 of 6,129
Well, it's rather personal and dependent on the shape of your ear.

To be fair, the new stock grey tips aren't that bad. But comfort-wise and sound-wise Sony MH755 tips are the best that I came across so far, even better than Spiral Dots. Unfortunately, you just can get those tips buying the Sony MH755 but it's so cheap, about $5-7. Also, you won't need any spacer or mod using them since they get a really secure grip on the nozzle.
Sorry for being such a newb. So do tips universally fit all IEMs? I get that the fit in my ear will be very personal. However, I thought each IEM had a slightly different diameter soundport, so the tip from one IEM may or may not fit on another IEM? Comply for example has Tsx-100 through Tsx-500 with different core sizes per this Amazon description. How do I know which one will fit Blons?

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #20 of 6,129
Sorry for being such a newb. So do tips universally fit all IEMs? I get that the fit in my ear will be very personal. However, I thought each IEM had a slightly different diameter soundport, so the tip from one IEM may or may not fit on another IEM? Comply for example has Tsx-100 through Tsx-500 with different core sizes per this Amazon description. How do I know which one will fit Blons?

Your first question: no.
Your second question: correct.

Usually, TSX-100 is made for Shure/Etymotic nozzle type which is thinner. On the other hand, TSX-500 is designed for wider nozzles.

core-sizes.png

ex.jpg
(left: Etymotic ER4XR / right: JVC HA-FD1X)

So definitely the TSX-100 won't fit on Blon. I'd guess the 500 series would fit well, but I don't have any tool to measure it at the moment, so might another user can help you. However, I have the Blon and a lot of silicon tips and the Sony MH755 tips are the best so far imo and it'll fit perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #23 of 6,129
No, some IEMs use smaller diameter nozzles. But the Blons will take the more popular foam New Bee or RIYO tips, from Amazon; which accommodate 5mm - 7mm

I'm using the Tsx-500 Complys, on my Blon BL03

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #24 of 6,129
I bought QDC cables without knowing that the actual cable i needed for the Blon's are the 2pins. Is there any simple way/mod for me to fit the Blon's with the QDC cable? thanks.

Some people are using jeweler’s file to mod it, examples:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...reference-list.805930/page-1348#post-15238566
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1821#post-15234602
from drop's discussion page:
For those looking for information on compatible cables, any standard 2 pin will fit, however the plastic protecting the female pins on the earphones will be exposed. The cable type which covers this is called "QDC" (or "type C" as KZ refers to it). The problem with the BL-03 however is that this plastic surrounding the pins on the earpiece is rectangular, whereas these cables are generally oval-shaped. If you're prepared to do a little DIY then the plastic can be filed down to allow QDC cables to fit. Here's a picture of mine with the Tripowin C8 cable fitted.
1570491016166.494105598222797204821320-IMG20191008001222.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #25 of 6,129
OOTB > I`m impressed.

I think it finally dethrones ATE/ATR/MH755 as being my best price vs. SQ. And not only that, it reaches very close to my all-time fav KPE.

Am I in the minority who has perfect fit? I mean, they had even perfect tips installed for my ears (package included 5 pairs - S/M/L in rounded shape + S/M in "cone" shape), using S "cones". And Stock cable provides also perfect fit.

Some things I notice right away compared to KPE (using KPE stock/modified cable):

* KPE has noticeably faster driver
* KPE has more "breath" and "air"
* KPE has less mid-bass but to my ears bass/percussion hits harder and goes deeper
* KPE has better micro-detail in bass area
* BL03 has more mid-bass but may cause slight fatigue for mid-bass sensitive ppl with longer listening sessions
* BL03 has quite coherent sound signature and is quite well balanced (no V-shape with artificial highs like many KZs others have).
* BL03 has very natural timbre but I wouldn`t say better than KPE. For my ears BL03 seems littlebit too "polite/smooth" and misses slightly that "breath & air" KPE has.
BL03 is slightly warmish sounding but not dark or "muddy".
* KPE has better separation and soundstage width. Soundscape is more "airy" and "open".
* BL03 has natural sounding cymbals but slightly missing extension in highs and "sparkle".

Will go and measure it right away and let it "burn-in" and do tip-rolling and report back soon... I hope mid-bass won`t click on my nerves since I`m sensitive to that when doing longer listening sessions.

Cable is actually quite nice and better than KZ ones. KPE Lyre cable has slightly better clarity and detail. But stock one is OK too imo. Will measure it soon too.

Probably will order 2 more sets.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #27 of 6,129
Am I in the minority who has perfect fit? I mean, they had even perfect tips installed for my ears (package included 5 pairs - S/M/L in rounded shape + S/M in "cone" shape), using S "cones". And Stock cable provides also perfect fit.

Stock cable provides a perfect fit for me too. I actually never tried the stock tips because of what others were saying. Maybe I will try those cones in Medium. Currently using Symbio Peels but they are expensive. I kind of save them for emergencies.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #28 of 6,129
I'm wondering if TRN 16 core spc 0.78mm 2pin will fit nicely with the blon..??

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 6,129
And this was a hype train back in the days. How much have progressed since the days of fake impressions. Lol

This just shows just because headfi is a audiophile forum, doesn't mean we were getting quality audiophile advices.

Now, I remembering purchasing at least 8 pairs of Monoprice 8320 in Dec. 2011. For gifts, stock up etc. A few years later I literally thrashed at least five pairs. That was a big hype train in those days. Now, graphs might only explain 50% (just an totally uneducated guess!) of the total experience. Anyhow, those Monoprice 8320 IMO were seriously flawed in 40% of their total experience. The missing 10% I will give that they briefly gave me and many others a WOW efffect that didn't last very long! Those that remember might agree! But it was ****ing cheap!! So no regrets.

The Blon, which this thread is all about, will IMO be a much longer hype train and well deserved. I highly doubt that I will end up at one point thrashing any of the three pairs of Blon's that I have hoarded :) The Blon's are a very different hype train or wreck if someone hopes for that...than the MP8320. Only time will tell :)

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #30 of 6,129
Reporting for duty! IMG_20191011_215523.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back