CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #20,206 of 31,833
I have to say, the hype is real with the Blons. Damn, these were $30?!?

The tuning is spot on my preference. Kudos to the tuner! Don’t get these and expect perfectly flat tuning for your orchestral/classical music (although the Blons do have good timbre). The Blons remind me a lot of the Sony MH755, which is a Harman-esque tuning with a few extra dBs of sub bass punch added in.

I totally get what people say about the fit, though. With an ill-fitting tip, the sound is mediocre. With a perfect-fitting tip, the sound is excellent. For me, that meant using a tip with a long core. Luckily, I didn’t need any spacers or o-rings. I’m currently using MH755 tips, but Starlines also work well. I didn’t try SpinFits because I don’t really like them, but I can see how they would work really well with solving fitment problems with this IEM. And I’m sure triple flange tips would be a great option too. YMMV.

Also, the stock cable isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, I can see why cable sluts say it’s trash, but if you’re familiar with a stock KZ/CCA cable you’ll know what to expect. Sure, you can change out the stock cable for something better, but IMO it’s not as dire of a situation as people have insisted. I did remove 1 of the 2 ear guide layers, which made a huge improvement in the fit of the stock cable.

I did want to option to change cables, so I reshaped the 2-pin plugs to fit Paragraph C/QDC cables with a perfect flush fit. It took me all of 5 minutes (with the appropriate jeweler’s file).

8269A446-3BBC-4E7C-8688-1CF7D4F856AB.jpeg
9774D16C-4278-4EBB-8705-D2871CD65D56.png

While my photo shows a JC Ally copper cable, that cable is ridiculously massive for such a light and compact IEM as the Blon. So I ultimately changed it for the copper ZSN cable (from the purple ZSN), which is a no-nonsense cable that has a good balance between lightweight fit and fairly low resistance.

I do feel that a cable with a ‘bent’ 2-pin plug is needed (like the stock cable, QDC, Paragraph C, NX7, etc), vs the ‘straight’ 2-pin plug like many cables have (such as the NiceHCK and other cables). The ‘bend’ really helps with proper fitment around the ear, and overall stability. Especially given that the straight 2-pin cables (like NiceHCK and others) sit on TOP of the stock socket, which exaggerates the fit problem around the ear even more (making it even less stable). If you see the difference in fit between these 2 cables, you’ll understand what I’m talking about:

0F1F650A-6970-43AB-880D-2FC0C38A0808.jpeg
17A2CB2D-87CA-4664-9A27-B136C913D4BB.jpeg

In conclusion, we can all joke about the ridiculous Chinglish like Oppity and Driams, but jokes aside this is a game changing earphone that has significantly raised the bar of what we will expect from a $30 budget earphone.

I’m ordering a 2nd pair.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #20,207 of 31,833

The tuning is spot on my preference. Kudos to the tuner! Don’t get these and expect flat tuning. These remind me a lot of the Sony MH755, which is a Harman tuning with a little extra bit of sub bass elevation.

I totally get what people say about the fit. With an ill-fitting tip, the sound is mediocre. With a perfect-fitting tip, the sound is excellent. With a long enough tip, I didn’t need any spacers or o-rings. I’m currently using MH755 tips, but Starlines also work well. YMMV.

Also, the stock cable isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, I can see why cable sluts say it’s trash, but if you’re familiar with a stock KZ/CCA cable you’ll know what to expect. Sure, you can change out the stock cable for something better, but IMO it’s not as dire of a situation as people have insisted. I did remove 1 of the 2 ear guide layers, which made a huge improvement in the fit of the stock cable.

I did want to option to change cables, so I reshaped the 2-pin plugs to fit Paragraph C/QDC cables with a perfect flush fit.

While my photo shows a JC Ally copper cable, that cable is ridiculously massive for such a light and compact IEM as the Blon. So I ultimately changed it for the copper ZSN cable.

I’m conclusion, we can all joke about the Oppity and Driams and the ridiculous Chinglish, but jokes aside this is a game changing earphone that has significantly raised the bar of what we will expect from a $30 budget earphone.

I’m ordering a 2nd pair.
I agree with every word. That iem had made me reluctant to spend big on iems

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #20,210 of 31,833

The tuning is spot on my preference. Kudos to the tuner! Don’t get these and expect flat tuning. These remind me a lot of the Sony MH755, which is a Harman tuning with a little extra bit of sub bass elevation.

I totally get what people say about the fit. With an ill-fitting tip, the sound is mediocre. With a perfect-fitting tip, the sound is excellent. For me, that meant using a long enough tip. Luckily, I didn’t need any spacers or o-rings. I’m currently using MH755 tips, but Starlines also work well. I didn’t try SpinFits because I don’t really like them, but I can see how they would work really well with solving fitment problems with this IEM. YMMV.

I did want to option to change cables, so I reshaped the 2-pin plugs to fit Paragraph C/QDC cables with a perfect flush fit. It took me all of 5 minutes (with the appropriate jeweler’s file).

While my photo shows a JC Ally copper cable, that cable is ridiculously massive for such a light and compact IEM as the Blon. So I ultimately changed it for the copper ZSN cable (from the purple ZSN), which is a no-nonsense cable that has a good balance between lightweight fit and fairly low resistance.

I do feel that a cable with a ‘bent’ 2-pin plug is needed, vs the straight 2-pin plug like many cables have (such as the NiceHCK cables). It really helps with fitment around the ear. Especially how the straight 2-pin cables sit on TOP of the stock socket, which exaggerates the fit problem around the ear making it even less stable.

In conclusion, we can all joke about the ridiculous Chinglish like Oppity and Driams, but jokes aside this is a game changing earphone that has significantly raised the bar of what we will expect from a $30 budget earphone.

I’m ordering a 2nd pair.

What is required to get the ZSN cable to fit properly? I'd like to try this iem + cable combo for myself

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #20,211 of 31,833

I totally get what people say about the fit. With an ill-fitting tip, the sound is mediocre. With a perfect-fitting tip, the sound is excellent. For me, that meant using a long enough tip. Luckily, I didn’t need any spacers or o-rings. I’m currently using MH755 tips, but Starlines also work well. I didn’t try SpinFits because I don’t really like them, but I can see how they would work really well with solving fitment problems with this IEM. YMMV.

I do feel that a cable with a ‘bent’ 2-pin plug is needed, vs the straight 2-pin plug like many cables have (such as the NiceHCK cables). It really helps with fitment around the ear. Especially how the straight 2-pin cables sit on TOP of the stock socket, which exaggerates the fit problem around the ear making it even less stable.

I’m ordering a 2nd pair.

As your ears get used to them and they burn in.......the sound will get more and more delicious. More and more sound driven Serotonin will flood your brain and you will be joyous and full of IEM bliss.

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #20,213 of 31,833
What is required to get the ZSN cable to fit properly? I'd like to try this iem + cable combo for myself

You take a jeweler’s file and shape the outside of the 2-pin plug from this:

7DF32FCD-4A92-40DD-8406-9007523ADCC0.jpeg

to this:

55D22246-0E46-468D-899D-76DEFFFC9D5C.jpeg

Of course you have to make it even on all sides, get the curves just right, and keep reshaping it until it fits perfectly. It’s entirely possible to not remove enough material and make it fit too tight, and it’s possible to remove too much material and make it fit too loose. You have to be precise and make it fit just right.

If you look at any KZ Paragraph C plug, you’ll understand what you have to make it look like. So ZSN, ZSN Pro, ZS10 Pro, ZSX, CCA C12, etc.

Just be aware it 1. Voids any warranty, 2. It’s possible to screw it up (make it too tight or too loose, or damage the socket in some way), 3. You do it 100% at your own risk, and 4. I take absolutely no responsibility for anyone that damages their earphone.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #20,214 of 31,833
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #20,215 of 31,833
You take a jeweler’s file and shape the outside of the 2-pin plug from this:

to this:

Just be aware it 1. Voids any warranty, 2. Is possible to screw up, 3. You do it at your own risk, and 4. I take no responsibility for anyone that screws their earphone up.
Thanks for the info, would sand paper do a similar job? I have plenty of that but no files unfortunately

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #20,216 of 31,833
Thanks for the info, would sand paper do a similar job? I have plenty of that but no files unfortunately

I don’t think so. Maybe. No clue.

You can order a jeweler’s file for a dollar or so from Aliexpress. You could also take it to a local jewelry store (that has an on-site repair shop) and nicely ask that they do it for you. They have all of the right tools, and extreme magnification equipment to make seeing everything easier. It would only take them 5 minutes, and I can’t imagine any reputable jewelry store that would even charge. Maybe bring in a box of doughnuts, chocolates, homemade lemonade, or bake them some cookies as a thank you.

Personally, I wouldn’t use sandpaper. There’s no real good way to hold sandpaper to make it precise enough. The stock sockets are very tiny, and sandpaper is very ‘clumsy’ to use. Jewelers files are extremely precise and easy to control. Also, the stock socket is made of a rubbery plastic, which doesn’t sand well. And finally, with sandpaper you risk sanding off/scratching the polished silver or brown finish on the metal by the socket (and if you did that, I don’t know if the bare metal underneath would oxidize, rust, start peeling off, etc).

As an alternative, you could use an X-Acto knife and chop the corners off, like this:

18AD047D-B2F0-4D96-ACDC-2C3C5FB10E01.jpeg

It’s a much more crude method, but it does technically work as long as you’re careful about how much material you remove. It’s how I reshaped my TFZ T2 sockets.

Again, you do any of these socket reshaping mods 100% at your own risk.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #20,217 of 31,833

The tuning is spot on my preference. Kudos to the tuner! Don’t get these and expect perfectly flat tuning for your orchestral/classical music (although the Blons do have good timbre). The Blons remind me a lot of the Sony MH755, which is a Harman-esque tuning with a few extra dBs of sub bass punch added in.

I totally get what people say about the fit, though. With an ill-fitting tip, the sound is mediocre. With a perfect-fitting tip, the sound is excellent. For me, that meant using a tip with a long core. Luckily, I didn’t need any spacers or o-rings. I’m currently using MH755 tips, but Starlines also work well. I didn’t try SpinFits because I don’t really like them, but I can see how they would work really well with solving fitment problems with this IEM. And I’m sure triple flange tips would be a great option too. YMMV.

I do feel that a cable with a ‘bent’ 2-pin plug is needed (like the stock cable, QDC, Paragraph C, NX7, etc), vs the ‘straight’ 2-pin plug like many cables have (such as the NiceHCK and other cables). The ‘bend’ really helps with proper fitment around the ear, and overall stability. Especially given that the straight 2-pin cables (like NiceHCK and others) sit on TOP of the stock socket, which exaggerates the fit problem around the ear even more (making it even less stable). If you see the difference in fit between these 2 cables, you’ll understand what I’m talking about:

I’m ordering a 2nd pair.
+1 Totally agree!

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #20,218 of 31,833
Another in agreement with Slater on the BL03, the cable is fine for me. It's not rubbery and can be replaced if needed (we all are slightly cable snobbish, I dislike rubbery cables and ones that retain kinks). The only comment I want to add is that I find it works well at mid to low volume, it starts to loose composure at higher volumes for me. I just won't use it in noisy environments.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #20,219 of 31,833
Another in agreement with Slater on the BL03, the cable is fine for me. It's not rubbery and can be replaced if needed (we all are slightly cable snobbish, I dislike rubbery cables and ones that retain kinks). The only comment I want to add is that I find it works well at mid to low volume, it starts to loose composure at higher volumes for me. I just won't use it in noisy environments.

Yeah the isolation of BLON BL-03 is slightly below average IMHO, hence I think it will not fare well in noisy environments.
Also I find there is a bit of distortion at higher volumes for me (especially in mid bass), but I think for the purposes of home usage, we wouldn't need to pump the volume up so high in the first place.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #20,220 of 31,833
I don’t think so. Maybe. No clue.

You can order a jeweler’s file for a dollar or so from Aliexpress. You could also take it to a local jewelry store (that has an on-site repair shop) and nicely ask that they do it for you. They have all of the right tools, and extreme magnification equipment to make seeing everything easier. It would only take them 5 minutes, and I can’t imagine any reputable jewelry store that would even charge. Maybe bring in a box of doughnuts, chocolates, homemade lemonade, or bake them some cookies as a thank you.

Personally, I wouldn’t use sandpaper. There’s no real good way to hold sandpaper to make it precise enough. The stock sockets are very tiny, and sandpaper is very ‘clumsy’ to use. Jewelers files are extremely precise and easy to control. Also, the stock socket is made of a rubbery plastic, which doesn’t sand well. And finally, with sandpaper you risk sanding off/scratching the polished silver or brown finish on the metal by the socket (and if you did that, I don’t know if the bare metal underneath would oxidize, rust, start peeling off, etc).

As an alternative, you could use an X-Acto knife and chop the corners off, like this:

It’s a much more crude method, but it does technically work as long as you’re careful about how much material you remove. It’s how I reshaped my TFZ T2 sockets.

Again, you do any of these socket reshaping mods 100% at your own risk.
An emery board would work. For fingernails. Or the file on a pair of fingernail clippers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back